WWE Smackdown LIVE Highlights

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! Now, this post today was not planned at all. I initially decided that this week I was going to focus on finishing up my of the year season and getting those last big posts up for you guys to read, however, last night's episode of Smackdown was so so good that I just could not go without writing about it and so today I have a lovely little highlights post for you. It's been a while since I uploaded a Smackdown Live review and so today I'm going to be running you through some of the best moments from this week's show. Now, in all honesty, all of last night's show was strong. I honestly cannot complain about a single thing. Everything tied together perfectly, we had the start of some fantastic new feuds, great character development and a couple of solid matches. If you ever had any doubts as to what is the stronger brand last night's show certainly silenced those doubts with Smackdown LIVE crapping all over Monday night RAW putting the red brand to shame massively. I've never been in a situation where I have enjoyed a show so much that I have had to change my schedule and write about it anyway so I hope you all enjoy this little post. I will be uploading every single day this week and just after Christmas the last two blog posts will be uploaded where I count down the best matches of the year and my WWE  Male superstar of the year. As always any recent blog post will be linked bellow and finally, you can let me know what you thought of this weeks episode of Smackdown LIVE by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

WWE World Championship Match kick starts Smackdown LIVE

After earning a WWE World Championship match several weeks back James Ellsworth finally got the chance to walk away with gold this week on Smackdown LIVE when he went face to face with AJ Styles once again and with three victories over the champ already it's safe to say Ellsworth was feeling rather optimistic. However, his optimism wasn't enough for him to walk away with WWE gold with Styles wasting no time what so ever in making an embarrassment of James. The match was extremely short and it didn't take long for Styles to put Ellsworth away and when the match was over Styles was not finished with the man who had gotten under his skin for weeks and a brutal attack was laid out on Ellsworth. I have to admit, I'm not a James Ellsworth fan at all, he really does grind my gears and so I loved this entire part of the show. I did feel as though Styles came across very well here. The beat down was so barbaric and the frustrations from Styles felt so real and it just made this a really standout moment of the show this week. I loved Styles little promo that he cut, it really got to show how frustrated he has been and we got to see just how badly he wants real competition. Talking of real competition he was soon confronted by the new number one contender Dolph Ziggler who had a few words for the champ that runs the camp. After surviving a fatal four-way elimination match last week against the Miz, Luke Harper, and Dean Ambrose Ziggler was named the brand new number one contender and was sure to remind Styles of that during last night's show. However, a new name was added to the mix in Baron Corbin. The former NXT star wasted no time in fitting himself into the championship picture and it was soon announced that the nights' main event would see Corbin and Ziggler go one on one with the winner facing AJ Styles on next weeks episode of Smackdown LIVE. I tweeted out during last nights show that I really do believe Corbin has it in him to be a huge huge star. I don't doubt that he could be one of the breakout superstars of twenty seventeen giving that the WWE take a risk with him and give him that big push he has proven he deserves.

Renee Young Is Put in the Spotlight

Probably my favourite moment of the night and the segment that inspired me to write this post in the first place comes from that brilliant moment between The Miz and Renee Young. Following his successful championship defense against Apollo Crews the Miz was interviewed by the gorgeous Renee Young where he was asked about his "obsession" with Dean Ambrose and it was that comment that would lead to the Intercontinental champion making things a little more personal; in response to Young's question Miz would go on to directly target Renee's personal relationship with Dean Ambrose asking about her obsession with the lunatic fringe saying and I quote "after all you're the one sleeping with him". God was this brilliant! It was one of those moments that left your brain looking for the perfect gif to match your reaction. It was so unexpected to brilliant. Honestly, I absolutely loved that this was done. I already had high expectations for the growing feud between Dean Ambrose and the Miz but this just changed the game completely. That personal touch made everything feel so much more realistic and gave the feud that little something new and exciting that I didn't even know it really needed. Renee is someone that really has grown on me over the years and I do believe she is an important part of the WWE and bringing her into this storyline is so so so exciting. The reaction online last night was very positive with everyone sharing my excitement for what is to come. The slap Young gave Miz was a lovely little touch and it did leave me genuinely interested in what is to come. Later on in the night we saw the Miz attack, Ambrose, following his beatdown at the hands of the Wyatt family. Now, I don't know about you but I really do believe this could grow to become one of the best storylines's in the WWE right now and with Renee's involvement, this could easily become a huge standout.

The Truth is Out

One thing Smackdown LIVE have been doing well from day one is using all its female talent. Every single woman on the Smackdown roster has been used strongly from the moment the brand split happened and last night they continued to impress with several women being used in different segments throughout the night. I still find it crazy how RAW is a three-hour show yet struggles to showcase more than two women week in and week out yet a two-hour show portrays so much of its female talent every week. One of the highlights of the last night's show comes from the segment between Nikki Bella, Natalya and Carmella where former divas champion Natalya finally admitted to attacking Nikki Bella back at the Survivor Series pay per view. Now, I will admit, when Camella revealed who the real attacker was I wasn't surprised but I was sure disappointed. While I knew Nattie would be revealed I did really want to see Mickie James or even Eva Marie (I have my reasons) to be the attacker, however, after last night's show and this little segment I have to eat my words once again. With Carmella revealing more of Natties secrets including a few bitchy comments about the Bella twins Nattie finally admitted she attacked Nikki last month and would take a leaf out of the Miz's book by making things even more personal. With the theme of this feud focusing on jealousy Nattie made it clear that she believed she deserved everything Nikki got from the total divas spin-off show, the title shots, the reign, everything and would further focus on the personal digs on her relationship and the fact her and Brie only got where they are because of their looks. It's not the most original storyline in the world but it works. Nattie has always been pushed aside despite coming from a legendary family and knowing the history and the friendship between the women just makes this feel like such a real, personal feud and it works. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this feud goes in the near future.

Huge Championship Match set for Next weeks Smackdown LIVE

Following that strong opening, last night's Smackdown LIVE main event saw Dolph Ziggler and Baron Corbin go one on one to earn a championship matchup against AJ Styles set for next week's show. Now, you guys will most probably remember how much I hated the feud between these two superstars from earlier on in the year. I never really enjoyed any of their matches and the storyline was so weak. However, keeping all that mind I did really like last night's main event. I loved that Styles was put on commentary for it and the action in the ring was far stronger than what we had seen between the two earlier on in the year. This really was a great way of showing just how far Corbin has come as an in-ring performer. His wrestling has gotten so much stronger and his ability to portray his character in a strong and interesting way was far far better than its say six months back or so. The show overall was very very good and so naturally was more interested in the main event than I was RAW's main event this week but the action really was solid and what I loved about this, even more, was that I genuinely wasn't sure how the match was going to end. A part of me thought Styles would get involved, he had spent a great deal of time talking about Ziggler's win/loss record and so the feeling he gave was that he believed he could score a victory over Ziggler far easier than Corbin. The commentary team did do a fantastic job in making Corbin sound like a dominant opponent and a real challenge for Styles. I also did suspect that the match could end in DQ or count out and in the end, they did go with a count-out ending that I honestly didn't mind at all. We had Styles in the mix of the ending and it did tie together well. I liked that Corbin didn't take a pin and Ziggler lost no momentum also. The night did conclude with Smackdown LIVE general manager Daniel Bryan announcing that next week's show will see a triple threat between these three superstars take place for the WWE World Championship and honestly I cannot wait for this match. Of course, I would love to see Corbin with that title as soon as possible but I do understand that now might just not be his time yet. He does need more time to build and grow as a character and a few strong feuds are needed to establish him as a main star. I am expecting Styles to retain the championship by pinning Ziggler but I do think this is going to be an interesting match and a part of me is not ruling out a new champion being crowned.

Becky Lynch scores sneak Victory Over Alexa Bliss

Last night's episode of Smackdown LIVE really did see its women's division amazingly well. We had so many of the female talent on air and involved in something genuinely strong and interesting. This did include seeing the current Smackdown LIVE women's champion in action. During last week's
show Bliss refused to face her opponent, Deonna Porrazzo and instead was forced to defend her title against Becky Lynch in a rematch from the TLC pay per view a few weeks back. The match did end in count-out after Bliss faked an injury, however, this week general manager, Daniel Bryan was having none of it and booked Bliss in another match this week and if she refused then she wouldn't be holding that championship any longer. It was also announced that she and Becky would once again battle it out in a championship match next week on Smackdown LIVE. As Bliss made her way to the ring her opponent for the night already stood in the ring, sporting a Lucha look we all wondered who was hiding behind the mask and as the match progressed we did all begin to predict just who it was but a decent bout was out on between the pair and after Bliss tapped out to an armbar it was soon revealed that Becky Lynch was the opponent all along. I have to admit that I did really really like this whole thing. It's something different, it's something we don't really see done often especially in the women's division and it gave this feud a little boost and sure did do the job in getting me excited for their up and coming title match.

I think we can all agree that this week's episode of Smackdown LIVE was just brilliant. Pretty much from day one we have seen the blue brand takeover and seeing the Smackdown shows just get better and better has been amazing. It still amazes me the difference in quality between the two shows. I do wish I had the time to write a full review on last night's show because literally everything from last night's show was strong. I honestly cannot wait for next weeks episode of Smackdown LIVE, something that RAW struggles to do for me personally. I will be writing a review next week of the show if I find the time so keep an eye out for that. As always you can let me know what you thought of last night's show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
WWE Roadblock End of the Line Best and Worse Moments
Top Five Female Superstars of the Year
Top Five NXT Matches of The Year
Most Improved WWE Superstars of the Year
Five Superstars WWE Screwed Over in 2016

Social Media Links:
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts