WWE Day One Honest Review

 Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a safe and happy NYE and you’re reading this ready to have brilliant 2022. Last night the WWE kick-started the new year on day one with a special PPV introducing 2022 alongside a stacked card full of must-see title matches and promising one on one action. In today's blog post I'm going to be taking a look back at the action from last night reviewing the shows and giving my honest thoughts.

 


The New Day vs The Usos

Every wrestling fan has seen their fair share of tag team bouts between the Usos and The New Day with every encounter living up to expectations and the four superstars providing fantastic tag team match up time and time again. Their day one collision was yet another must-see contest which kick-started the show on a huge high and the set the bar for the rest of the evening. As expected the action was back and forth and the familiarity was evident throughout. There was momentum and strong moments for both teams and it became difficult to predict just who was going to walk out with the titles. I found the match to be longer than I expected it to be which certainly was not a complaint at all! The Usos had a strong heel performance with cheap shots, regular tags, and isolating whoever was tagged in from the New Day and making sure to provide a beating to remember, wearing them down. The standout star for me, however, was Xavier Woods. A current fave star of mine it was great to see him play such a key role throughout this contest, making sure to tell a story, keep fans in attendance on the edge of their seats, and creating the feeling of being the underdog who may just come through despite his status as a former multi-time champion.



The end result did see The Usos retain the titles with some fantastic tag teamwork to close those final moments and I have to admit that I was glad to see this result. I do think more stories can be told during their reign for a little longer but the introduction of new teams is going to be vital in keeping things fresh and exciting.

 

Drew McIntyre vs Madcap Moss

I’ll be honest this was the match I was least excited for. I wasn’t the biggest fan of the build or the story being told and Moss hasn’t been someone I’ve particularly been a fan of. The bout was kept pretty short, simple, and predictable with McIntyre dominating most of the action and picking up the win. To be fair, however, Moss had a decent showing but it would have been far greater if we’d got to see the match a little more split and Madcap (damn I hate that name) given the opportunity to showcase his dominance a little more.

 


The Street Profits vs RK-Bro

Okay, so anyone who knows me knows I’m seriously not a fan of Matt Riddle and so my excitement for this match wasn’t as high as everyone else, however, I am a huge Street Profits fan so I at least didn’t skip the match altogether! I found I didn’t enjoy this match as much as the first tag team bout of the night. This time around the end result was far more predictable and kept far shorter than it should have been. I do think the match could have been a lot better than it was if only they were given more time. A longer contest would have enabled them to have a bout that was far more split down the middle and action-packed. There was certainly more that could have been done here and fans could have had a far more entertaining match so I was left disappointed and not surprised to see the titles remain on Riddle and Orton.

 

The Miz vs Edge

For anyone who grew up in the noughties, this was a match you were sure looking forward to! The build to this one was kept short and simple but effective none the less and this was one of the matches I was most excited for and it did not disappoint. Longer than expected the bout had a pure nostalgic feel and the wrestling kept me entertained and glued to my screen. It can be so easy for people to forget just how good the Miz is in the ring, his character work usually takes center stage and is what keeps fans talking about him but his encounter with Edge last night was one of those matches that remind fans of just how good of an in-ring star he is. The assist from Maryse throughout added that little extra but these two 00’s stars delivered a brilliant singles match up, a personal favorite of mine, and even though I do wish it was a little longer I really enjoyed what these two put on for us this weekend. Now, it's clear this feud is far from over with the closing moments showing a returning Beth Phoenix comes down to ringside and finally makes up the numbers. Personally, I thought it was a little too soon to included Beth in this angle. We all expected it to happen at some point but for me this felt a little too soon, however, saying that, I’m still really excited to see what happens next and what the following couple of months hold for this feud.

 


Becky Lynch vs Liv Morgan

It was clear for anyone who follows me on Twitter that the match I was most looking forward to at Day One was the RAW Women’s championship contest between Becky Lynch and Liv Morgan. I’ll admit I was surprised this didn’t main event considering how well it was booked and how much interest there was from fans however, it didn’t stop this from being one of the strongest matches of the evening. Of course, the end result didn’t go down well in this household and I was left seriously frustrated at how the closing moments were booked and the fact Liv was once again left not leaving the victor and champion. It felt as though the match was booked perfectly to finally see Morgan capture gold but another slight cheat ending resulted in Lynch retraining and starting the new year still as RAW Women’s champion. The contest was a strong one without a doubt and there can be no denying that Liv had the best showing of her career so far. The early stages of this match were dominated by the challenger with Liv wasting no time to get her hands on Lynch and gain the early advantage. The young star came across more confident than ever before and it was great seeing and hearing the live crowd so firmly behind her. Another key point here was the storytelling we saw throughout the entirety of this match.  Lynch constantly underestimating Liv and not seeing her as big of a challenge as previous rivals meant she was more surprised and more frustrated when Liv continued to get back up time and time again. We saw an identical arm spot to what we had seen prior and Lynch worked as a brilliant heel throughout.



Now I don’t know where things go next here and whether or not we will see more from this rivalry but one thing can be sure, Liv Morgan has become a serious star and fans are strongly behind her to the point where we truly do hope the WWE gives her the big win she deserves at some point soon!

 

Brock Lesnar vs Big E vs Bobby Lashley vs Seth Rollins vs Kevin Owens

I’ll admit it, I was not a fan of Brock Lesnar being added to this match at all however, the idea of Lashley and Lesnar sharing a ring was too good for me to stay mad and I was very excited at what this match could now hold and the unpredictability that went with it! Fans did not have to wait all too long for these two monsters to collide either with stars quick to jump on the new addition of the match first seeing Owens and Rollins team up to get their hands on the beast however, it was former WWE champion Lashley who took Lesnar out early sending him through the barricade and gaining some serious early momentum. The goal of keeping Lesnar out of the match continued throughout the contest as did the allegiance of Rollins and Owens who worked together to take out the biggest threats of the match-up. I have to say, that I was disappointed with how short this main event was. I really enjoyed what we got however, I do believe strongly that this could have been even better (a lot better) if they had more time. Now, the efforts to keep Lesnar down did fail and we eventually saw a new champion crowned and Brock back on top with gold. I was disappointed to see E lose the title already and did feel as though it was such a shame he didn’t get a longer and better reign however if we can take anything away from this contest its that the money match we need to see heading into Wrestlemania season has got to be, Brock Lesnar vs Bobby Lashley. The reactions these two received throughout the bout and the comments online simply say it all.

 


Day one was an interesting PPV. We had some great matches but there too was a fair share of disappointments. The coming weeks leading into the Royal Rumble and of course, Wrestlemania season are going to be very interesting, to say the least, and last night's PPV really has set up some potential new angles and exciting matches and storylines to come our way! Don’t forget, you can let me know what you thought of the show by leaving a comment below or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria. My onlyfans is also currently 55% off over at vtezangi. 


RECENT BLOG POSTS:

SIX WOMEN I WANT TO SEE RETURN AT THE ROYAL RUMBLE

Comments

Popular Posts