RAW Review and Reactions

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well. I'm back today with my RAW Review and Reactions post as I take you back to all of last night's action from start to finish telling you what I thought of every single segment, promo and match. What were the final matches announced for this Sunday's live pay per view, Payback? What went down when Stephanie McMahon and Triple, The Authority returned? All will be revealed in today's blog post but before we get started there are a thew reminders and updates for you. It is of course pay per view prediction week witch you will all know by now. My first prediction post of the week has gone up, it was uploaded yesterday afternoon and I will make sure to link that bellow so you can go and check that out if you haven't already done so. These will be going up all the way until Saturday, then on Sunday I will be live tweeting throughout Payback and also be uploading my NXT Takeover prediction post which will be going up until Tuesday then on Wednesday I will be live tweeting that show also. So it's a long week to get through. I wan't to quickly mention that I am having a thew personal issues and family problems at the moment making it difficult to post. I just haven't been in the mood to write blog post or go on any social media but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things slowly, it's just going to take time. I've also decided that July will be NXT month on my blog and there will be on that next month. I also have some exciting news coming about my Podcast so look out for a blog post about that in the up and coming weeks. As usual I will link bellow an recent blog post including last weeks top five superstars of the week. Finally you can let me know what YOU thought of last nights show and what your predictions are for the Payback pay per view by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria. 

The show last night kick started with the titron showing Triple H pulling up in a limousine backstage as he made he's return to Monday night RAW with only six days from the two thousand and fifteen Payback pay per view. Hunter made he's way to the ring (with a pretty good reception from the Cincinnati live crowd) to start the show cutting a promo about being back home making it clear he had a thew words to say to both Kane and the WWE World Heavyweight champion, Seth Rollins with the end goal being to clear the air and sort out the tensions between the two superstars. Rollins would be the first to come out and of course climb right up the ass of the COO, however, despite trying to get the attention on him the arena went crazy with "we want Ambrose" chants, witch I have to admit, I kind joined in from the comfort of my on home. Of course he was gonna get this reception, it was the lunatic fringe's home town. We would seen get the presence of Kane when Rollins brought up the topic of Kane moving on and hinting that he should retire. Kane's rants at Rollins only angered Triple H more and the COO made it even more clear that if Rollins does not leave Payback still the WWE World Heavyweight champion then maybe it would be best for him to part ways with at least the Authority. To be honest I kinda liked this idea. The thought of maybe having Kane do he's best to deal with Rollins at Payback and then turn on him on the night leading to him leaving the WWE for a couple of months and then returning to take on Triple H or even Rollins in a thew months time, excited me and I really liked that idea. But I wasn't getting my hopes up on that happening any time soon. Moving back to last night's action and Triple H announced that Kane would be facing Roman Reigns...again and Rollins would be competing against Randy Orton in the main event. He then, after J&J security got a little too involved, he declared that the two would be competing in a handicap match against Dean Ambrose right then and there, Triple H really did kick start this show in a nice strong way. He is hands down one of the best heels of all time but he knows how to twist it and make us love him even more and keep us all laughing and seriously entertained, that is exactly what we got last night.

Right, first match of the night and as announced in the opening segment, it was a two on one handicap match against J&J security and the home town boy, Dean Ambrose. I wasn't that much of a fan of this booking. I felt like he needed to be in something much much stronger but at the end of the day it was a nice, quick, and easy way for him to gain some added momentum before Sundays Pay per view. Of course the crowd were on fire throughout the match and Ambrose hands down got the biggest pop of the night. The match itself almost completely dominated by Dean. A very fast paced match very early on with lots of character from the get go. That's the thing with Ambrose. It doesn't matter who you put him in the ring with he is gonna keep you entertained no matter what and he's gonna be the one that brings the entertainment, the character and tell the story throughout. It was nice to see the match not completely one sided and having both Joey and Jamie get some momentum going and actually have some offence. You kinda forget sometimes these two superstars were actually once just that "superstars" and are actually capable of a heck of a lot in the ring. We saw all of Ambrose's signature moves including the dirty deeds on Jamie to get the nice clean win. A good start of the night for Ambrose and a nice easy way to gain some momentum before the biggest match of he's career so far.

Up next, a one on one match between Dolph Ziggler and Bad News Barrett aka King Barrett. The commentary team was joined by Sheamus who was dressed rather handsomely if I must say so myself. Before the match began it was announced that at Payback it would Sheamus VS Ziggler part two and we will also be getting Barrett VS Neville, witch as very predicable but I loved it and it sure did put a smile on my face. My prediction posts for these matches will be up later this week. The match last night saw Ziggler try and get a cheap shot right at the start but had an unsuccessful cover. I didn't mind this match taking place at all. These guys have had great match after great match and I'm always down for a one on one between the two. The addition of Sheamus at commentary just added a whole new feel to it witch was needed. We saw the momentum in this match shift throughout. Barrett
kept that douche bag attitude throughout and kept a strong level of control from the get go, doing a good job in keeping things at he's pace. The closing moments where done really well and I'm so glad they were done this way. Off the distraction from Sheamus, Barrett was able to get the quick win. I really felt like Barrett needed the win last night and I was so glad he did. Being the king of the ring means he needs to keep on top of things and even though the who thing was made all about Sheamus and Ziggler, a win is a win and it was one he needed. The match was very short lived but Sheamus left with momentum on he's side and the last man standing between him and Barrett. I'm actually surprised as just how much I'm enjoying this feud.

Two of my favourites were out next as both Luke Harper and Erick Rowan made their way to the ring. Now, just in case you missed it, last week Erick Rowan attacked Fandango, hinting that the former partners were getting back together. I'm all for a reunion between these two. I've said before but I don't think they should of ever split up so early in the first place. But I would of liked to have seen a gradual build up between them getting back together. I think creatively there is a lot to do with both Harper and Rowan as singles and mainly as a tag team but a nice gradual build up of them getting back together would of gone down better for me. Of course it was a very very quick match witch saw Erick Rowan get a win over Fandango. After the match Harper and Rowan double teamed the dancing superstar and it was made official. These two were back together.

John Cena was up next, witch means it was time for the United States open challenge. You guys know I have been loving these but after almost two months it's getting a little old for me. I like the idea and it really worked in the first month but I do want to see more. I think when he ends he's feud with Rusev this Sunday there needs to be more than open Challenges. Putting the title on the line every week doesn't make it any more important, in fact it does the opposite, and it does not add prestige to the title either. Before there was any action last night we got the same old speech from Cena which literally was making me fall asleep. The lame, same promos every week does nothing at all. It's what happens when you have open challenges every single week for the same thing. It gets boring and predicable. I really wanted something different last night and we did not get that at all. Hated the promo and it did not get me excited for the open challenge match. I finally got some interest in what was going on when I heard Adrian Neville's entrance theme hit. I actually predicted in my RAW Prediction post that it would be Neville answering the open challenge this week and I was really glad they had him compete for it last night. I will admit I was a little worried about Neville getting another loss but what I like about Neville is it almost doesn't matter. He has outstanding match after outstanding match and it doesn't matter if he looses because he walks away the one we are all talking about and all these huge matches will count for something big. Now, Cena and Neville have two very different styles so it was interesting to see them work against one another and it's nice to see Cena step in the ring with an opponent like Neville because I honestly believe he has never gone one on one with a man like Neville. To start off with things were quite slow paced and the momentum shifted very frequently with Cena coming off slightly more on top. When the match returned from the first ad break things looked completely different with Neville in full control and the speed much much faster. We saw Neville delivered a huge move over the top witch sure did wake me up. There was a moment when he hit the red arrow from the second rope witch was a strong indication Neville was not winning this match. I kinda like how they do this. It allows Neville to fit in he's top move, he's finisher and because he is only on the second rope the fact he doesn't get the win makes sense and it stops him from looking weak. Neville delivered to such a high standard last night and really held he's own in the match, controlling it and to be honest carrying it. He sold every move Cena had to offer perfectly and every move he executed was done so well and so cleanly as always. What I also loved about last night was the strength that Neville showcased. We forget that yes he is an amazing high flyer but he does have great strength also. The closing moments saw Rusev attack Neville having the match end in DQ just as I predicted. Loved the ending. Rusev needed some momentum and he needed to look strong before Sunday and he did just that. It was also a nice way for Neville to get some kind of win while at the same time not looking weak because of that particular ending.

Up next, the match I was least looking forward to and the one that was bound to be the most painful to watch, Roman Reigns VS Kane. Its no secret that I had no interest in this match. We have seen these two go at it way too many times for me to give a single crap about it last night. It didn't help that I was super tired. Before the bell could even be rang, Kane went straight onto the attack at ringside taking all he's anger out on Roman Reigns. This was a Kane that we haven't seen in a very long time. He seriously went to town on Reigns last night but the momentum and time in control didn't last all that long with Reigns trying he's best to fight back and hold he's own throughout the beat down. It will come to no surprise that in the end the company's favourite, Roman Reigns was left the last man standing and another superstar left with more momentum before this Sundays pay per view. I actually liked this moment of the show I'm just not all that happy about Kane getting the beat down in the end but he looked strong and it makes sense storyline wise.
Divas action next and Brie Bella was set to take on Tamina. Another match I predicted in my RAW Prediction post. Tamina spent most of this match in control, using her strength advantage to just that. It was a short match and a little messy at times but Tamina looked strong throughout the match and picked up a huge win. I have to admit, I actually am really liking the work between Naomi and Tamina.

Curtis Axel was in action next. During the RAW Pre show there was some more backstage heat between him and Damien Sandow who is now Macho Mandow. I have no comments on that one. This whole thing was one big 80's throwbacks. There was an odd moment during this match where the Ascension came out and had a thew words to say but things didn't really go their way when Sandow and Axel teamed up and cleared the ring. I hate how they Ascension are being used. I hate it so much I'm not even going to go into it again, because it will become one big huge rant. So Axel had a nice baby face turn witch I loved and I actually think they should use these guys as a tag team for a while because it could really work.
We then had the moment of the night I was most looking forward too. The one thing that was keeping me awake and watching the TV, as Daniel Bryan made he's way to the ring to address the WWE universe about he's health and the IC championship. I was so nervous about this whole thing throughout the night but so so so excited at the same time. He of course got a huge reaction from the crowd, nothing new, and then he put he's serious face on. I was literally on the edge of my seat the whole time and using the word "edge" doesn't help. The former world champion took us back to what happened last year and went on to say that he understands why Stephanie stripped him last year of the title and that she was right. Last night he did the same thing when he officially gave up the Intercontinental championship after announcing that the doctors didn't know if he would be back in days, weeks, months or if he would ever come back to the ring. I didn't like the feel to this part of the show. It felt so final. So sad. Like he was saying goodbye to the WWE universe and I didn't feel good at all. It had that retirement speech feel.

The tag team champions were out next meaning it was time to clap away. The New Day really do make me so happy. I just can't not like them. I can't. They keep me entertained and always make me laugh witch rarely happens lately. Anyway, last night, the tag team champions announced that they were given Cesaro and Tyson Kidd another chance and at Payback they would put their titles on the line against the former champions in a two out of three falls match. Prediction post for that will be up later this week. Last night we got a one on one match between Cesaro and Big E. The two powerhouses of the teams. I said it last week and I will say it again, Cesaro is doing so well working as a baby face and I'm really enjoying it. Cesaro spent a lot of time in control very early on in the match, dominating the whole thing. At the moment I can honestly say nothing bad about these two superstars because for me the past month has been all about the New day and Cesaro and Tyson Kidd. They have been the superstars to keep me most entertained and I have been loving all their work, including the match last night. There was so much power, so much strength in this match and it was also a great speed too. There was no weak link at all. A lot happened in the closing moments but it was Cesaro who got the win in this one. After the match the WWE announced that there will be a special pay per view on the last day of may; the return of the Elimination Chamber, exclusively on the WWE Network. I probably won't be predicting this one just because of how busy I am but I might change my mind. I'm not sure yet. There was also a brawl between Bray Wyatt and Ryback witch was a nice touch to their feud and the two will go one on one at Payback this Sunday.

Finally, it was main event time and as announced at the start of the show, WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins was set to take on one of the three men he would be facing in the Fatal four way main event this Sunday, Randy Orton in one on one action. I wasn't all that fussed about the booking. To be honest, I'm a little bored of seeing the same thing but I mention that every week and I
think as long as we were set to get a good match then I wasn't bothered. It was however important that Rollins gained some kind of momentum but it was also important for Orton to do the same thing so it was an all round tough one to call. Orton took control very early on in this match using the crowd momentum to he's advantage and making the match go at he's pace nice and slow. Rollins had a strong performance also but didn't spend as much time in control. What I liked most about this match was throughout it there was no outside interference from J&J Security allowing them to have a great match. Well that was until the end when they of course got involved and the match ended. Yeah, this ruined the whole thing for me but I did enjoy the match a lot. We then had Kane come down to the ring who watched as Rollins and J&J Security went to town on Rollins. Ambrose and Reigns then came down to the ring and all went took it to the champion witch I didn't like at all. I really do think the Champion needed to look strong on the go home show but this was an entertaining ending.  Reigns then speared Orton and Ambrose then hit the dirty deeds on Reigns leaving Ambrose the last man standing on RAW for a second week in a row. As an Ambrose fan this makes me very very happy.

All round I did think it was a decent show. Not as good as last week but they did fit a lot into the three hour show this week. There was a lot of story development and a couple of strong matches. I'd rate it a six and a half out of ten with my favourite match being Neville VS Cena. Remember all my Payback Predictions will be going up this week and the link to the first one will be bellow. You can let me know what you thought of last nights show and what your predictions are for all the matches for Payback by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Payback Predictions John Cena VS Rusev

Comments

Popular Posts