WWE Smackdown LIVE Highlights

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! This up and coming Sunday Smackdown LIVE will host its second brand only pay per view, No Mercy, and what a stacked card we have lined up! With the Intercontinental, Tag team Championships, Smackdown LIVE Women's Championship, and the WWE World Championship all up for grabs along with a couple of extra singles matches set to take place also, this is a sure must see live special no one is going to want to miss! Last night was, of course, the go home show for the No Mercy pay per view and we did indeed have yet another stellar episode of Smackdown LIVE. In today's blog post I'm going to be running you through the highlights of this week's show as I count down the five best moments from last night's episode. I do usually write and upload a Best and Worse Moments for Smackdown LIVE but I figured that there were so many good stand out moments that I wanted to talk about that a Highlights post just seemed more appropriate this week. Best and Worse Moments posts will be back next week! Before we get started I do have a couple of reminders for you starting off with Sunday! I will, of course, be live tweeting throughout the No Mercy pay per view as always and next Monday I will be uploading a full Review and Reactions post for that show. As always, any recent blog posts will be linked bellow including this week's RAW Highlights post and a very special post I wrote where I spoke about why I believe Smackdown LIVE is the better show. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of this weeks show by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet at @TezangiVictoria.

A Battle of the Mind Games

For the past month, Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton have found themselves in a back and fourth verbal battering and the feud is something that I have only been gaining an interest in. This weekend the pair will collide when they go one on one for the first time on pay per view. As we all know they were supposed to have this match last month at Backlash but with Orton injured it was pushed back. I tweeted out last night during the show how important this feud is for Bray Wyatt in particular. After coming up short throughout the past couple of years in pretty much all his feuds a win over Orton and to ultimately come up as the man on top at the end of the storyline is so important and needed for Wyatt. Over the past couple of weeks, the WWE have focused on mind games from both superstars. Orton and Wyatt have both been showing off their ability to play mind games on the other and last night this was showcased brilliantly. I know I did mention a couple of weeks back that I wasn't a fan of the little segments throughout the show with these two but I did like some of the work we saw last night. Like we have touched on before, Smackdown LIVE doesn't have as much time as RAW and so how they have conducted the storyline between Orton and Wyatt does actually really work for them and the product. Throughout the first half of the show, it did look as though Randy was in the driver's seat. He caused a slight distraction during Wyatt's singles match against Kane allowing enough time to get into his head for Bray to allow Kane to pick up a count out victory. Wyatt also found himself locked in this garage type of thing...it sounds a little odd but it worked thanks to the little camera in the "garage" and the shots we got throughout the night. Wyatt did, however, regain control of the feud yet again after it was revealed he has escaped somehow before Orton could actually let him out. I do think this feud is a touch on the crazy side but once you take out all the crazy segments and promos this actually has the potential to be one of the standout matches on Sunday at No Mercy.


Alexa Bliss Picks up a Huge Victory over the Champ

This weekend at the No Mercy pay per view Becky Lynch will defend her Smackdown LIVE Women's Championship against Alexa Bliss following Bliss' victory a thew weeks back in a number one contender's bout. I have over the past thew weeks mentioned the lack of story here but we have had enough from the two to see that this does have the potential to be a pretty solid championship match given that they are provided with enough time to actually compete. During last night's show number one contender Alexa Bliss was set to go one on one with Nikki Bella however after early interference from Carmella a tag team match was added to the night's card instead with Champ Becky Lynch teaming up with Nikki. With all four women set to be in action this up and coming Sunday, every single one of them was looking to pick up some extra momentum before the weekend.  The action was nothing truly stand out but both feuds were showcased well and after hearing more from Carmella during her short time on commentary last night I found myself more interested in their no disqualification match this Sunday. Throughout the match Nikki and Carmella found it difficult to stay away from one another and after Nikki ran off chasing her No Mercy oppnent backstage the action was elft between Alexa and Becky and with Bliss taking advanatge of a perfect moment and distraction she was able to hit the Sparkle Splash (I have no idea if thats still the name of her finisher!) on Lynch to pick up a huge victory over the champ just days before her title match. I really liked how things worked out for the women's division last night and after what we saw during this week's Smackdown LIVE I genuinely have more of an interest in both matches set to take place on Sunday's show. 

Is this Ziggler's Last Smackdown LIVE Appearance?

The match I'm personally most looking forward to this weekend is the one on one match up between The Miz and Dolph Ziggler and with everything on the line from Miz's Intercontinental Championship to Dolph Ziggler's career this is the definition of a must see match and could easily be the standout of the night. Now, you guys know all too well that I have never been Ziggler's biggest fan but as I mentioned last night, over the past month or so he really has been winning me over. His mic work has been absolutely amazing! The realness, passion, and emotion behind every word he has said has left me completely hooked and invested in his work and this particular storyline and last night were no different. During a segment with the Miz, the IC champ took it upon himself to present to Ziggler and the WWE universe a video package that took us through the career of Dolph Ziggler mocking the very little achievements he's made over the years and highlighting the fact he is not a main event star. I don't know about you but this video package went down really well with me. I loved it and I thought it was such a great part of the segment and the storyline altogether. Ziggler once again took to the mic to deliver a stellar, passionate, emotional promo that gave the up and coming match the extra push it needed. I don't believe there is a single person not excited for this match on Sunday. There's so much story, so much passion and so much emotion in this storyline and the expectations are so high for this match. I even liked the moments that saw the Spirt Squad make a little appearance. Everything that went on during this segment last night made sense and fitted in perfectly and this was easily my favorite part of the night. 

Jack Swagger makes Smackdown LIVE in ring Debut

A thew weeks back it was announced that Jack Swagger's Monday night RAW contract had come to an end and as the former World champion made his way to Smackdown LIVE he entered a brand new feud with the lone wolf, Baron Corbin and last night the pair went one on one for the first time in Swaggers Smackdown LIVE in ring debut. In all honesty, this isn't something I have much of an interest in. I do believe however that this feud will do good for both Corbin and Swagger. Jack has been with the WWE for a while now and has done enough in his career despite the many downs to put over up and coming talent and give them the push in the right direction. During their singles match last night the commentary team did a good job making Swagger sound like the top star he should come across as and made him feel like a legit threat to Corbin. I have recently spoken about wanting to see Corbin work a feud with Kane because I believe that would be best for him and developing his character but a little work with Swagger really could be beneficial as well. I did really like how things concluded last night. The way the match ended didn't make Corbin look weak at all and it gave Swagger that win he really did need and a good strong start to his Smackdown LIVE run. 

Face to Face to Face

On Sunday night AJ Styles will defend his WWE World Championship in a triple threat against John Cena and Dean Ambrose and just days away from this huge championship bout the three superstars were to come face to face to face in what was a brilliant way to conclude the show last night. I know I have said it so many times already today but this is sure a match I cannot wait to see on Sunday. The expectations are so high and there is no doubt in my mind that this will be fantastic main event match up. Last night we got the chance to hear from all three, well to be fair it was Styles and Ambrose who took control of this segment and if I had to choose a number one stand out I have to go with Ambrose on this one. Both Styles and Ambrose took it upon themselves to verbally attack Cena with a thew home truths. Ambrose in particular really had me listening to every single word. I was completely
hooked to what he was saying and I really did find myself backing him one hundred percent. All three of these men had their moment to shine last night with Cena starting the action and for once not cutting this huge promo. Both Styles and Ambrose brought up some valid points and together they all played their part in selling their match perfectly. The night did end with Ambrose standing tall holding the championship high. After what we saw last night between these three I honestly cannot wait to see them all collide this up and coming Sunday at the No Mercy pay per view. 

The build up to the No Mercy pay per view has in my personal opinion been very very strong. Despite having an hour less every week to build up a pay per view show than Monday Night RAW has they have managed to create just as much of a buzz and level of excitement RAW created last month for the Clash of Champions pay per view. As I have mentioned before Smackdown LIVE does have the same feel NXT gives off and with them focusing less on creating this huge dramatic storyline for each match I have found myself more interested and invested in Sunday's up and coming show. I really enjoyed this week's episode of Smackdown LIVE. Sure there wasn't much wrestling but with the No Mercy pay per view this weekend every segment felt appropriate and I was left completely entertained from start to finish. As always you can let me know what you thought of the show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
WWE Monday Night RAW Highlights
Why Smackdown LIVE Is the Better Show

Comments

Popular Posts