The Eight Superstars Who Should Have Been in the WWE World Cup Tournament

While I’ll keep my overall opinions on Crown Jewel are something I will keep to myself the line up for the World Cup tournament is something I will be very vocal about in today’s blog. Now, initially, I was super excited for this one-night tournament and viewed it as a chance for the international talent to stand out and have a moment in the spotlight. This an exciting and unique idea that had amazing potential to really provide some entertaining matches, however, I have been super disappointed with the line which while is completely star-studded full of some of my personal favourites of all time seeing this tournament dominated by US talent has made me question the point of the entire thing and so in today’s blog post I’m listing the eight superstars I believe should have been involved and some of the names actually competing may just pop up…

THIS POST WAS PRE POSTED



Finn Balor


The name I was most disappointed to see not included in the World Cup tournament was Finn Balor. The former Universal Champion has been crying out for something new, fresh, and exciting throughout the past year after failing to bounce back from his previous injury. The once star destined to sit comfortably at the top has now found himself in cringe-worthy segments with Bayley and forgettable singles bouts against Jinder Mahal. Representing Ireland in the World Cup tournament was the exact perfect opportunity he had been waiting for and it's such a shame he was once again forgotten about. Its here he would have been able to remind fans of what he can do in the ring while also being considered a favourite to win considering he would have benefited the most from it. This was a huge opportunity to turn things around and it was missed.

Shinsuke Nakamura


Similarly, to Finn Balor, Shinsuke Nakamura was a name destined to be in this tournament and while I’m glad to see Mysterio involved in in the World Cup there is no denying Nakamura deserved and was in desperate need of a spot also. Despite being the current US Champion Nakamura is an easily forgotten superstar over on Tuesday nights and is also in desperate need of something big to push him back to the top before he ends up out the door and this tournament was the moment he had been waiting for. Representing Japan, he would have brought a different style to the table and matches of the night fans would not forget.



Buddy Murphy


Switching gears, a little here and up and next we have current Cruiserweight champion, Buddy Murphy. Now, the Cruiserweight division has reached a point where they have no showing what so ever over on Monday night RAW, sticking to pay per view events and of course episodes of 205LIVE however, its rare occasions and special opportunities like the World Cup Tournament that should see the rules bend and break a little and after his epic performance at Super Showdown I strongly believe Murphy should have been placed in this tournament. Young, exciting, a huge fan favourite at the moment and fresh off an especially big victory, Murphy is a major talking point. A part in this tournament would allow him to represent both Australia and the cruiserweight division, another big moment 205LIVE and its stars could really benefit from.

John Cena


One man that has in fact been announced for the World Cup Tournament is John Cena and he remains a man I believe should be apart of this. The tournament needs big names and not only up and comers and a man of Cena’s history and popularity could really bring this tournament to light. This also would have been the perfect opportunity for Cena to work with some of those up and coming stars who he may not get the chance to work with because of his new role within the WWE creating memorable bouts with those names and giving them the highlight match of their early careers.



Andrade Cien Almas


Another name I really want to see apart of this tournament was former NXT Champion, Andrade Cien Almas. Now, if I’m being totally honest, Almas isn’t someone I worry about massively. The WWE and fans are both extremely high on him and his future looks very bright however, when there’s an opportunity a star like Andrade should be given it above many others stars on the roster and the World Cup tournament would have been a perfect chance for Andrade to gain even more momentum, make an impact, and climb that ladder a little more. I have no doubt Almas would have been a part of some epic matches during this one-night tournament but he also without question would have made for a smart and worthy winner.



Kurt Angle


Is there really any WWE superstar right now who could better represent the United States than Kurt Angle? I think not. So, when he qualified for a place in this tournament I was actually pretty damn excited. He presents the US perfectly, he’s a legend, and to this day capable of working a memorable match that could so easily steal the show. I’m very much excited to see Angle apart of this and his place within the tournament is very much justified it's just a shame he won’t be able to work matches against some of the names I have listed today.



Rusev


The Miz qualifying for the World Cup tournament doesn’t surprise me and I do believe it was a good decision, however, he wouldn’t have been a name I would have put on the list and instead Rusev in my books would have taken his spot. The former US Champion has been a key figure on Tuesday nights working as one of the most over roster members competing in standout matches rising to an interesting section of the roster. Now, of course, there is no denying the simple fact that Rusev is a man who deserves so much more than he gets. Throughout his career, he has been a part of so many standouts matches and rivalries and I am forever hoping that he gets a bigger push; a spot in the World Cup Tournament would have been greatly beneficial. Again, he too would have made for a great overall winner of the tournament but simply participating would have allowed him to represent his home country, standout in the ring again, and work an excellent opportunity.



Rey Mysterio


And finally, the last name I would have included is, of course, Rey Mysterio. I strongly believe this would have been a perfect opportunity to kick-start a rivalry between Mysterio and Andrade Cien Almas possibly with Rey scoring the win over the up and comer advancing only to have the finals of the tournament ruined by Almas later in the night. I’m super excited to see Rey back in the WWE and this is a great night for him to make an impact, start a hot new rivalry and work a huge event. He’s another veteran the tournament benefits from having and I’m glad regardless that he is in fact apart of this angle.


And that is my list! Those are the eight names I would have had taken part in the Crown Jewel World Cup Tournament. There were other names I would have liked to have seen apart of it also but I’m happy with the eight names I went with today. I do understand why certain superstars were picked but overall I do believe the whole point of the tournament has been lost but I do also strongly believe we will get some great matches from this tournament! 

Recent Blog Posts:

SIX STEPS IN PUSHING FINN BALOR BACK TO THE TOP

WHY THE WWE MUST SIGN MEIKO SATOMURA

RANKING THE PAST FIVE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONS

Comments

Popular Posts