Three Smackdown LIVE Superstars Who Deserve Better at Wrestlemania 33

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! So as Wrestlemania fastly approaches with less than two weeks left until the big show itself I thought I would stick to the Mania theme in today's blog post and write something up that I have been contemplating writing for some time now. Wrestlemania is without a shadow of a doubt the biggest wrestling event of the year (kind of, thanks to Wrestle Kingdom) and the WWE have always made sure to try and book as many of its stars on the card. This means that on plenty of occasions we are left with weaker matches and many superstars not being used as well or showcased as strongly as they deserve. In today's little blog post I'm going to be counting down three superstars I believe deserve better booking at this year's Mania. This is a post that I do feel really passionate about. You guys know how I love talking about superstars who may be being misused or underrated and in today's blog post we really are going to be touching on this theme. As usual, there are plenty of superstars who haven't gotten the booking they deserve for Mania this year but in today's post, we're really going to be focusing on those top stars and the work they should be doing instead. Now, as always any recent blog post will be linked bellow and you, of course, can let me know what you think of today's post by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria. I will be live tweeting throughout every show during Wrestlemania weekend including the show itself and the kick off show.

The Miz 
The first superstar to feature in today's blog post is one I'm sure you were all expecting to see make an appearance, of course, I'm talking about The Miz. Since the brand split last summer I have spoken about the former Intercontinental Champion simply because he has just been killing it. From promos to matches, from storyline's to segments, Miz has been one of the biggest success stories of the brand extension and the entire wrestling community has spent months praising him and keeping a very close eye on him. He has been so impressive that fans including myself have expressed that they believe he deserves to be WWE Champion at some point this year and I honestly do hope that they send him in that direction later on in the year. However, if we take a look at what he is currently doing I have to say that this is the first time since the brand split that I haven't completely enjoyed what the WWE have booked for Miz. In less than two weeks time he will team up with his wife Maryse to take part in a mixed tag team match against John Cena and Nikki Bella. Now, over the past couple of weeks, I have spoken about this a few times bother here on my blog and over on twitter and I have mentioned several times that while I believe this match will be decent and I can see why it was booked the WWE could  have done a lot-lot more with both Cena and The Miz. After talking about how I would have booked John Cena in this year's Mania event I thought I would move on to the Miz and let's face it he sure does deserve better than a mixed tag team match that will draw minimum attention. Pretty much from the start, we have seen the Miz and Daniel Bryan show growing issues with one another and despite the fact, the WWE have not cleared Bryan to wrestle again many including myself were left believing there was a possibility the pair could be going one on one at the grandest stage of them all. In a dream world, I would have loved to have seen Cena and Taker go at it while Bryan and the Miz go one on one and it's such a shame we're getting neither. Miz has been working his butt off for years and taking on Daniel at Mania would have been one of the highlights of his career and exactly what he needs and deserves. The story was there. They have been going at it in promos and segments for months and seeing their feud move onto in ring action would have been great and seeing their story develop would have been fantastic and I don't doubt for a single second that they would have had one of the greatest and strongest matches of the night. There's so much history between the two and could you imagine how brilliant it would have been for a full story to have developed.  Unfortunately, we can expect to see him pick up the loss at Mania and while that may have been the case if he was to go up against Bryan the effect would have been completely different. It really is such a shame they have wasted Miz at Mania this year and not given him that big storyline he deserves.

Alexa Bliss
We now move onto the women's division and I recently spoke about how I was not happy with the way the women's division on both brands were being booked for both brands particularly the Smackdown LIV women. Since the brand split the blue brand have done a far better job in using all its women building up the division and making sure that they are all given the air time they deserve With all that being kept in mind I was hoping to see the women of Smackdown LIVE booked well heading into Wrestlemania especially with so many potential storylines. I'm interested in knowing what the original plans were for the women if Naomi had been able to hold onto her title and the injury never happened but with Bliss as champion I did still believe that they were in safe hands and we could hope for a strong showing of the women's division at Wrestlemania this year. However, instead, Bliss will defend her championship against every woman on the Smackdown LIVE roster. Again, I can see why this was the booking decision made. It allows all the women to be showcased at Mania and have her moment and it also allows us to believe Naomi may make a surprise return and recapture her title in her hometown. However, I can't help but feel the WWE really have missed an opportunity here. I mentioned recently that I would love to have seen Alexa defend the title against Mickie James. Once again the story was just there. Either one being obsessed with the other and the title being the top prize is something that the WWE could have focused on building a story on from the moment Mickie made her return to the company. Bliss just like the Miz has been on fire since the brand split. She went from being the small NXT call up not having the biggest following to becoming the biggest superstar on the Smackdown LIVE women's division and one of the most talked about superstars on the blue brand. Her progress has been outstanding and seeing how far she's come in such a short space is amazing and she really does deserve a better showing at her first Wrestlemania. A big story with an icon like Mickie James would have ben such a big deal and regardless of whether or not she picked up the win, this would have been amazing and a far better booking decision than what she's getting. Hopefully, she doesn't get lost in the match and she's able to make a big impact.

AJ Styles
And finally we have the man himself, former WWE Champion, AJ Styles You knew I was going to have to add him to the list, he's the man that inspired this post in the first place and to be honest I hate the fact that I have to feature him. AJ Styles has been without a shadow of a doubt the most dominant man on the Smackdown LIVE roster and has one of the best debut years ever seen in the WWE. We have seen him take part in some of the best matches of the past twelve months taking on superstars such as Dean Ambrose, John Cena, the Miz and Bray Wyatt never failing to impress and deliver one heck of a performance. He's been WWE Champion, competed against Chris Jericho in his first Wrestlemania match and has become one of the biggest names in the company today. However, despite the WWE doing a rather brilliant job booking him since his debut, there is one thing they have completely failed with and that's his booking for this years Wrestlemania. Now, don't get me wrong, I can see where the WWE were going with this, I can understand why they went ahead and went with AJ Styles VS Shane McMahon but I think we all know that Styles deserves much much stronger booking than this. As the face of the Smackdown LIVE brand (despite not being champion) I was expecting to see him in a much bigger match that would allow him to showcase his in-ring capabilities to the fullest. While I believe there is a story to be told between him and Shane McMahon and there will be a couple of entertaining spots this will never be able to touch what they could have
done with Styles. When I was thinking about Wrestlemania this year and how I would book it and each superstar I struggled with Styles the most once he dropped the title. Everyone else did have their thing going on and finding something for him was actually pretty difficult and it was that that made me understand the decision the WWE made in the end. I did mention a while back that I would have loved to have seen Samoa Joe and Styles battle it out at Mania. This came down to the simple fact that I did believe Joe would be called up to Smackdown LIVE instead of Monday night RAW (another decision I strongly dislike). However, even when Joe was called up I still would have liked to have seen the match happen maybe in a RAW guy VS Smackdown LIVE guy with the commissioner of each brand having to choose one man to represent their brand and compete against one another at Mania. This would have been much better for Styles, we would have been able to have seen him actually work a match that would have drawn serious attention from hardcore fans,  we would have gotten a match that would have without shadow of a doubt been one of if not the best match of the night and not to mention that it could have actually progressed a growing feud between Styles and Shane McMahon building that up for a pay per view later on in the year. I really am so disappointed with how they have booked Styles, it just feels lazy and I hate that he will not be showcased as well as he should be.

Despite the theme of today's blog post, I am still looking forward to Wrestlemania as always and I will be live tweeting throughout the show. There were a few more names I would have liked to have spoken about today including Luke Harper but I wanted to keep this short and sweet not to mention that I'm in a hurry today because I'm going away for a few days so I needed to get this done! As always you can let me know what you thought of today's post and share your opinions on the topic by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
Five Things the WWE Are Doing Wrong with Wrestlemania 33
Five Women Who Really Kick Started WWE Women's Revolution
Six Wrestlemania Matches We Want to see this year



Comments

Popular Posts