Five Things WWE Are Doing Wrong with Wrestlemania 33

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! I know I know I know, it's been a while again since I uploaded. Twenty seventeen is proving to be the year of challenges and as one thing stops another starts, however, I'm going to try my best to upload as much as I can and get back on track once again. Hopefully, if I can pre-post enough for next month everything will be back to normal. I'm going to try and see if I can just start fresh after Wrestlemania season. Talking of Mania season today we are going to be once again focusing on the biggest event of the year as I bring you another Wrestlemania focused blog post and today we are going to be taking a look at Five things WWE are Doing Wrong with Wrestlemania thirty-three. I have already written a couple of posts talking about the event and I always mention that this can be one of the craziest but most fun times on the Wrestling calendar and I do enjoy writing Wrestlemania based content here around this time. Now, I was really hoping that this year's card would be strong and just like I do every year I wanted this to really be a standout Mania and one of the best in recent memory. However, instead, we have actually got a card that's shaping up not to be the very best let's be honest. While I'm sure we could get a great deal of solid entertaining and strong matches we all know that once again they have missed out on something big and could have made the show a heck of a lot stronger. In today's blog post I'm going to be telling you five things the WWE are getting wrong with this years Wrestlemania. As always you can let me know what you think of today's blog post and have your input by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Goldberg VS Brock Lesnar going on Last?
As of this moment, we still do not know for sure which match will be going on last and main eventing Wrestlemania. We could either see Goldberg VS Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship or Bray Wyatt VS Randy Orton for the WWE Championship. Personally, I have to go with the later and here's why; first of all tradition. I know I may sound boring but when a superstar wins the Royal Rumble they are earning their spot in the main event of Wrestlemania. Calling a match the main event isn't enough and the main event has to go on last and a part of me is expecting to see Orton VS Bray pushed and marketed as the "main event" but in the end, it will actually Lesner and Goldberg going on last. Now,  I understand why the WWE will end up changing things up. One of the biggest themes you will see run through this blog post today is that I strongly believe this year's Mania in particular really is aimed at the more casual fans and Brock Lesnar VS Goldberg is a far more attractive in the eyes of casual fans than Bray Wyatt VS Randy Orton. However, Wyatt VS Orton most certainly should go on last. I personally far prefer the story being told between the two. To be fair both stories are strong there is no denying that however, there is something with Orton and Wyatt and the fact that it stems from the Royal Rumble win just forces me to really side with this one. I believe there will be a part of the show that will seriously need a pick me up and Goldberg VS Lesnar will be the perfect fit for that time We also have to mention how much of a big deal it is to have Bray Wyatt in that main event defending that title against Randy Orton. This such a fitting match for the main event of Mania this year and really does send a message to fans and up and coming talent. Not to mention how great it will be for the Smackdown brand as a whole to have that main event. Now, I am planning on writing an entire post just talking about this subject so keep an eye out for that real soon!

No One on One Match Between Sasha Banks and Bayley
If you had asked me this time last year one match I was certain would be taking place at Wrestlemania this year I would have in a heart beat said Sasha Banks VS Bayley for the Women's Championship. Twelve months later and instead of a one on one match we're adding Charlotte to the mix and getting another triple threat match for the women's championship in the second Wrestlemania in a row. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I do not doubt for a single second that these three will kill it in a few weeks time at Mania and I do believe that this triple threat match will actually be stronger than what we saw between Banks, Charlotte and Becky Lynch at last year's show. However, I cannot deny the fact that I was seriously disappointed to see that there would be no one on one for the title. I personally do prefer to see one on one matches take place for championships especially at events such as Mania and a one on one between the likes of Banks and Bayley screams money. It's a match two years in the making and one that would have gone down extremely well with fans. It's such a shame that the WWE haven't gone with this and I do believe they have seriously missed out on something huge here. Fans have desperately wanted to see these two women collide at the grandest stage of them all since their epic one on one match back at NXT Takeover Brooklyn almost two years ago. As I said, the story was there. Fans wanted it, the match made sense and the build would have been so simple. I actually still believed this match would take place up until the Mania match for the RAW women's division was made official. What I wanted to see was Bayley retain the women's championship at Fastlane thanks to the help of Sasha Banks (as she did) and after the match, we would finally see Banks turn heel and attack Bayley during the celebration with the fallout taking place the following night on RAW and the build up there kick starting. Every time I sit back and really give this a thought the frustration and sadness take over (dramatic I know). They really could have provided fans with something amazing from the women's division at mania this year. The reaction the build up alone would have gotten would have been amazing simply because of the knowledge of what the two women have done in the past and are therefore capable of doing. I also do not doubt that this would have been one of if not the best match of the night. It's such a shame they didn't go with this, in the end, however, I do still have faith in the booked triple threat match.

Roman Reigns VS The Undertaker
You knew it was coming. Did you really think I was going to be able to write this post and not mention this match? Okay, so I understand that the one on one match up between The Undertaker and Roman Reigns has seriously divided fans and as time progresses we starting to see opinions change and far more fans jump on board. Yet here I am about to spring a little bit of negativity on your day (sorry not sorry). I've tried my best to see the best in this match but it just feels like a loss/loss situation and I hate to say that I really do hate the idea. I don't understand why the decision was made unlike some of the other matches I will be talking about in today's blog post and I struggle to get excited about the whole thing. Of course, I believe that given that they are provided enough time (which they most certainly will) they will put on a fantastic match. There is some form of history between the two and a story can be built and told in this match. While I'm far from a fan of Reigns still I will not sit here and deny the fact that he is a very talented professional wrestler, pair him with the Undertaker and you could easily get a rather entertaining and solid match. However, taking into consideration that I and the majority of wrestling fans wanted to see Taker go one on one with John Cena at mania this year you cannot help but feel extremely disappointed. It's just a little downgrade. As far as the end result goes I don't want to believe it but there is a big part of me that is expecting Reigns to get the win and it pains me to say it. I would love if there was a twist of some kind, something really big that changes my entire opinion on the whole thing but I have vowed to head straight to bed if Reigns does pick up the win. Saying that it just doesn't feel as though Taker could gain anything over winning either. It's a tough one to call and that's what makes this match, in my opinion, a big mistake. I strongly believe both men could have been involved in something that could have benefited the pair far better. Of course, it's a huge deal for Reigns to even go one on one with Taker at Wrestlemania and like I said, I so believe the match itself will be solid but that doesn't change the fact that things could have been better for both superstars.

Smackdown LIVE Women's Championship Booking
I really really didn't want to have to go on one big moan about the booking of the women's division going into Wrestlemania but I really do have to. We've already spoken about where Monday Night RAW are going wrong with its female talent in regards to Mania and now it's time to take a look at Smackdown LIVE. Now, don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that both brands have done a lot of good when it comes to the division. Their approach may be different but women's wrestling has come a long long way and Smackdown LIVE, in particular, have managed to really make their female talent feel like equals to the male talent in regards to the amount of time they get and the simple fact that every single woman is constantly being used in storyline's. Ironic I say that actually considering that the big problem I have going into Wrestlemania this year is the fact that almost every woman on the Smackdown LIVE roster will be competing for the SD Live Women's Championship. Of course, I understand why the booking decision was made; we have every woman competing at Mania, there's a touch of unpredictability and it draws in the more casual of fans. However, when we take a look at what they could have done you can't help as a hardcore fan but feel a little frustrated and disappointed. I wrote a blog post recently talking about five matches that should have taken place at this year's mania (that full post will be linked bellow at the end) and in that post I spoke about the Smackdown LIVE Women's division and how strongly I felt about what they could have done between current champ Alexa Bliss and Mickie James. While the match may not have attracted casual fans attention it's something that with strong storytelling and well-done build up would have gone down far better. As I said, I completely understand why the move was made and hopefully, the women get enough time to make an impact on the night. However, the booking does feel lazy and in comparison to what we are getting from the RAW women's division it just doesn't feel strong enough and a part of me does feel as though a match like this devalues the title.

Smackdown LIVE Mixed Tag Team Match
One of the most talked about rumoured Wrestlemania matches this year was without a shadow of a doubt the Undertaker VS John Cena. From the moment twenty seventeen kick started fans around the world, including myself, began to speculate on whether or not this would be the year we would see two of the biggest names in sports entertainment history battle it out one on one at the grandest stage of them all, Wrestlemania. With both men sporting a seriously impressive resume that marks them as two of the greatest names in this industry a one on one match between the two at the WWE's biggest event of the year is something that fans have been desperate to see for years and two thousand and seventeen did appear to be the perfect year. Neither superstar isn't getting any younger and while Taker continues to work a part time contract, Cena has been taking far more time out of the ring than we have ever seen him do so. Not to mention that in January Cena made history when he became the second man ever to become a sixteen-time world champ, tieing Ric Flair's record. The timing just appeared to be perfect. I mean com on, how amazing it would it have been to see this match booked as Takers final Wrestlemania match and for the pair to go on and main event the show for the WWE Championship. It's a match that sells itself, one that would have brought in ratings the WWE hasn't picked up in some time and would have without question gone down as one of the most iconic matches in pro wrestling history. However, last week it was made official, for this year's Wrestlemania pay per view John Cena will team up with Nikki Bella in a mixed tag team match against the Miz and Maryse. Okay, so let me just get this perfectly clear, I do believe that this match will do some good and I can one hundred percent see why it was booked. The WWE always want to get as many stars on the Mania card as possible as we have already touched on in today's post. Here we have four of the biggest names on the Smackdown LIVE roster in what manages to attract a wide audience and presents a decent amount of entertainment. Not to mention this match was inevitable anyway. Once I heard the rumours that Nikki may be retiring sometime after mania I certainly wasn't surprised to see it booked. Now, while I believe that with the right booking and with enough time to actually compete this could be a half decent match it does not matter what these four do, it won't be able to touch what the WWE could have done with Taker and Cena. The thought of Taker winning the main event and the WWE championship, leaving the title in the ring and walking backstage to close the show just gives me goosebumps and it's a real shame that we won't be getting that. I do believe on hundred percent that this mixed tag team match is a prime example of this year's Mania not being aimed at hardcore fans and more so casual viewers.

There we have it! That is my little list of five things the WWE are doing wrong with Wrestlemania this year. I had so much fun writing this post and I hope you guys enjoyed reading it. As always you can let me know what you thought of today's topic and what you believe the WWE are doing wrong in regards to Wrestlemania thirty-three by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
Five Women Who Really Kick Started Women's Revolution
Six Wrestlemania Matches We Want to see This Year

Social Media Links:
Facebook
Twitter 
Instagram
Snapchat: vtezangi


Comments

Popular Posts