Top 20 Matches of the month: June Part 1

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, hope you are all well and good! We have reached the end of yet another month and what a huge month it was. As we reached the middle point of the year the month of June saw the world of wrestling kick start some new feuds and storyline and today I'm going to be taking you back through all of the action as I give you my top fifteen superstars of June. The past four weeks has once again seen the WWE dominate. I have actually been playing really close attention to TNA but in my personal opinion the product has been weak throughout the month and so in my June addition of top twenty matches of the month, there are not so many TNA matches as I would of liked but there a good handful in the list so it should be interesting anyway. I do think this is a strong list this month and with money in the bank and Slammiversary taking place, this could be one of the best top twenty matches of the month so far. Now, before we get into today's very long blog post I have a couple of reminders and updates for you.  have already said that I have pushed back NXT month again which I have hated doing but I've had no choice, there will be more on that later this month with more details. I will also have more information coming up with some new projects I'm working on. As usual I will link bellow any recent blog posts bellow including my Money in the bank review and reactions. Finally, you can let me know what your thoughts are on today's blog post and who your match of the month was by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

20) Alicia Fox VS Paige (Main Event 2/6)
Kicking off this month's top twenty matches of the month  is a surprising entrant as for the first time in a long time I have a main roster divas match in my top twenty matches of the month. It's very very rare that I get to add a divas match in this particular blog post and when I do it's only ever really an NXT divas match. However, on the second of June on an episode of Main Event, Paige and Alicia Fox went one on one in a ten minuet match that deserves to be in my top twenty this month. Fresh off a divas championship match the previous night, Paige had a lot of steam to let off after just missing out on becoming a three times divas champion when Nikki Bella used twin magic to retain the title. Having a fresh Alicia Fox to let her steam off against was bound to have us in for a treat. Now, these two divas do have a lot of history together and they do have great chemistry because of that history and because of their friendship outside of the ring and that shows whenever they share the ring together. Another thing I love about these two competing against one another and something we saw between them on this particular night is how much they push each other in the ring. This match really did see Alicia push Paige to her limits and forced her to show more and more as the match went on. They both brought a lot of character to the match with Alicia taunting Paige whenever she got the upper hand. I'll be honest, I didn't see Alicia winning this match at all, it was clear Paige was walking away with the victory in this one but she really did put up a good fight and deliver a great match. I found it easy to get into and it was great seeing the anti diva attitude return from Paige and of course it was great seeing the divas get a little big more time, they managed to prove again that if they are given the right amount of time they can put on a good quality match.

19)Roman Reigns VS Bad News Barrett ( RAW 1/6)
Up next, Roman Reigns makes he's appearance in this months top twenty matches of the month as he's one on one against Bad News Barrett on the first of June makes it's way into the top twenty. I'll be totally honest, I wasn't expecting all that much from this match. At first I was predicting a basic, short lived match that would see Barrett get very little offence and would all round see Reigns in full control and get the win at the end, but that wasn't the case at all. On this particular night I was wide awake and really into the show. The opening segment left us all hooked from the beginning and it meant that the show had meaning and a story to live throughout. At the very start of the show we saw the Authority turn their attention to Roman Reigns, telling him that if he lost he's match ('s) on the night he would not be competing in this years Money in the bank ladder match. I'm not going to lie, I knew from the moment this was made a "thing" that no matter who they were going to put in the ring with Reigns on the night he was going to be picking up the win and walking into the Money in the bank pay per view but I was intrigued to see who the opponents would be and how he would fair in the matches. The first was of course against Bad News Barrett. I was really surprised with what we got here. I was genuinely really interested in the match from the get go. It was nice seeing Barrett get so much offence and was able to showcase a lot more. The thing with Barrett is he's a top top talent. He has it all. A great body, amazing charisma, strong personality/character, marketable, great in the ring and very strong on the mic, but for some reason the WWE just haven't been getting it right with him but he has had some great booking over the past thew months so I'm staying positive for him. Now, even though he wasn't going to be walking away with the victory, he was fighting for a lot and he made us all believe that.  Reigns had a solid showing and we saw him pull out some great spots. I really enjoyed this match and was one of my personal favourites of the month.

18) Tyler Breeze VS Adam Rose (NXT 3/6)
Up next is yet another NXT match up and this time it comes from Adam Rose and long time favourite of mine, Tyler Breeze. I will be honest, when I heard about this match taking place I wasn't expecting a lot what so ever. I set myself up for a short one sided match, fast paced with Breeze dominating throughout so I was very surprised to see what we got. Adam Rose got a great reaction from the crowd on the night. I think that's just another thing I love about NXT, the loyalty of the fans. There's always that feel of if you were a former NXT star you always welcomed back with open arms and Adam Rose is a superstar who always receive's a great amount of respect from the NXT crowds. The start of this match and throughout did see some "Leo Kruger" chants which to be honest I was expecting. After the NXT backstage look special that aired last month the fans were able to get on a much more personal level with Adam Rose and I think we can all agree that we want the best for him and the best for him is the Leo Kruger gimmick. Talking of that character, from the very start right to the very end of this match we saw a lot of that character shine through which was nice to see. He was much more aggressive and pulled out some stuff I haven't seen him do since the character change. This was by far Adam's performance/ match since becoming Adam Rose and I think he really did prove himself in this match. He's clearly a very talented superstar with a lot to show and he got to give us a taster in this match. Both him and Breeze worked really well together, complimenting one another's style very well. It was fast paced and I found it easy to get into. It was smart booking and both superstars came across well. A strong performance from Breeze and Rose.

17) Nikki Bella VS Paige ( Money In The Bank)
Up next is yet another main roster divas match! I'm so glad that I have been able to write about so many divas matches this month, We have honestly be given a great deal of divas matches this month witch is so refreshing and good to see. Yet again it is Paige who is featuring in the list once again as her divas championship match against Nikki Bella makes it's way into my top twenty matches of the month. You will know from my predictions post for this match that I really wasn't expecting a lot from this match what so ever. I actually think that at some point I said this was going to be my bathroom break match and I'm so glad I didn't use it as that. I never expected it to be as good as it was. Now, I'm not saying it matches the quality of the NXT divas matches but it was much better than what we usually get. The build up to the match was really strong and the story told was so really good and once again, strong. It made the match interesting and it made me interested in seeing what was going to happen. The match itself was much much longer than I expected, I was so glad that they were given more time in the ring, these two divas have great chemistry and have had some really strong matches in the past so I'm glad they were able to have another one last night. I was surprised to see just how physical this match was from the get go. They both had some really good spots throughout this match and one thing that really grabbed my attention was the reaction it was getting from the crowd. The live crowd were so into the match and we hardly see that with main roster divas matches so that was really refreshing. I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending but I did think it was smart and it did the job. It got everyone talking.

16)Rockstar Spud VS Kurt Angle (TNA 14/6)
We now have the first TNA match to feature in this months top twenty matches of the month as the one on one world championship match against Rockstar Spud and champion Kurt Angle makes it's way into the list. This is a match that was just full of passion and heart. The week before the match actually took place we saw Spud spend most of the night questioning whether or not it was a good move to make cashing in option C and with that came such a great story going into the match and Spud went in with everyone supporting him. This was another match were we saw Spud once again prove himself. He really held he's own throughout the entire match and he had such a solid performance. He was consistent throughout, using he's move set and wrestling ability to really tell a story in this match I loved that. It was a really neat match and I'm so glad it wasn't as heavily dominated by Angle as I originally expected it to be. It wasn't the longest of matches but it was long enough and it was a great way to kick start the night/show. I really enjoyed this one and I found it really easy to get into.You felt the passion in this match from start to finish and it was that that really kept me watching and interested.

15)Kevin Owens VS Samoa Joe (NXT 17/6)
Up next is a match that got us all talking and one that the entire wrestling community was waiting to see as the NXT champion Kevin Owens went one on one with Samoa Joe for the very first time. We first saw Joe make he's first NXT appearance back at the NXT Takeover Unstoppable show where he made he's presences known making it clear he was coming up after Kevin Owens and that NXT Championship. Since that night he has been on a role with cutting edge promos and segments and a monster of an in ring debut. After weeks of getting the perfect build up, this was match the entire world had been waiting for. Before the match had even really kick started it go a "this is awesome" chant from the crowd which says it all to be honest. It was one of those matches where you was just sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for the first punch to be thrown and when it was everyone was hooked throughout. It was a back and fourth match with both men getting equal moments in control. I think for anyone who had not seen these two compete before it was a mind blowing night for them. Seeing two men of their size move around the ring so gracefully and do the things that you would only expect men a fraction of their size do is just amazing to see. It had that old school, good old fashioned fight feel to it and I loved that. There were faster moments than others but there was so much time wearing down each other it kept you hooked. I loved how this one ended with Owens accidentally hitting the referee and then seeing Samoa and Owens brawl to end the show. The brawl itself was so well done and so exciting and was such a great part of the match and night. This defiantly had the taster match feel to it and I cannot wait to see what these two give us in July.

14)Dean Ambrose VS Seth Rollins (Smackdown 26/6)
CONTENT FROM SMACKDOWN REVIEW AND REACTIONS -Finally, main event time as Seth Rollins went one on one with Dean Ambrose once again. We have seen these two go at it on multiple occasions but it just never seems to get old. I'm not going to lie, I would of liked to have seen something a little different main event Smackdown last night. I've said it before but the WWE main roster main events are way too predicable, way to repetitive and therefore have no effect. Of course I was interested in the match because it was Ambrose VS Rollins but I would of liked to have seen something different. The match last night was very predicable but I did enjoy it. I worry for Ambrose, just because he's not in anything strong right now but I think a couple of months of a calmer run will do him some good. There's no doubt in my mind that he will be champion one day, it's just going to take time for it to be he's time. Ambrose did spend the early part of this match in control, wearing down Rollins and working on one of he's arms witch was a nice tactic and gave a good story to go off. It was great seeing them both use the ring to their advantage, we saw Rollins use the ropes to turn the tables and allow himself to get in control of the match. As usual this match was very split throughout. The momentum shifted often and the action was fast paced as usual. There chemistry drove this match just like every other one of their matches in the past.It had that "Anything you can do I can do better feel" There were a couple of close covers throughout but the closing moments saw Rollins use a distraction and the pedigree to pick up a nice big victory. After the match we saw Rollins, Kane and Joey stand over Ambrose witch I thought was a great moment to the show and and the night. A very clever way to end this weeks Smackdown. Rollins came across invincible yet again. Looks like a great story the WWE are going with here. Awesome match and awesome main event.

13)Angelina Love VS Velvet Sky (TNA 28/6)
The one and only TNA Knockouts match to enter this months top twenty matches of the month list is up next as Velvet Sky battled Angelina Love to earn way back on the TNA roster. I honestly loved the build up to this match. I thought it was a great way to bring Velvet back on the scene, I had missed her so much over the past couple of months. She's one of my all time favourite female wrestlers and she has been hugely missed. I thought how she was written out for those couple of months was clever and I actually liked it once I had adjusted to it, I did however spend every week after waiting for her to come back. When she did make her first appearance since being fired she was sporting a bran new image and come on, I think it's safe to say she rocked the new look. I liked the little build up of her not saying anything and just watching Angelina and then the attacks/brawls that we got between the two. There match had a good story to it with a good build up so I was really looking forward to seeing them go one on one. Yes it was predicable but these two have so much chemistry, so much history that it's just one of those matches you know you are going to enjoy before it even gets started. When it comes down to the actual match I liked it, I liked it a lot. I thought they were given a great amount of time. It wasn't too long and it wasn't too short at all. They both got shared momentum and time in control of the match. The crowd really got into the match and really got behind Velvet. It was well put together and we had a great story told throughout. I also thought the commentary for this match was pretty good too witch is a nice little change. The closing moments saw Velvet hit the stunner to pick up the pin fall victory over Angelina, earning her place back on the TNA roster

12)Dolph Ziggler VS Kevin Owens (RAW 15/6)
Up next, Kevin Owens makes he's first appearance in my top twenty matches of the month as he's one on one against Dolph Ziggler back on the fifteen of June on an episode of Monday night RAW creeps into the list. Before the match we actually saw Kevin Owens cut yet another outstanding promo talking about what had happened the previous night at the Money in the bank pay per view were he lost to John Cena but attacked the fifteen time world champion after. During the promo Owens told everyone that John would not be at RAW tonight and so he would be doing he's job and host an open challenge, that would be answered by Dolph Ziggler of all people. Let me just say, that when Ziggler's theme hit I honestly had a mini heart attack. The thought of a one on one match between Owens and Ziggler simply makes me one of the happiest people in the world. It's such a dream match of mine and for it to actually be taking place just made my night. The start of this match saw Ziggler go right on the attack but it didn't last very long at all and that dominate, barbaric, ruthless side to Kevin Owens shined and came right through very early and he took full control of the match and Dolph Ziggler, letting everyone know who was in charge. What made  me so interested in this match was the simple fact that these two very different superstars were competing. They may have a very different style but there are a couple of things these two have in common and one of the biggest most important things is that these two have had some of the most physical, intense, and entertaining matches in WWE history. I was so interested in seeing how their styles would work together and how the well they would work together. The first half of this match (and more) really did see Owens take full control, walking all over Ziggler, quite literally, working on the mid section of the former world champion. He really did take it to Dolph throughout this match but there did come a time where Ziggler was able to start building some momentum and it all started with hitting that amazing DDT halfway through the match but it was once again short lived. What was so clear for me in this match was the presences of Kevin Owens. It's something that has always stood out for me but there was something about last night that made me realise it even more. He brings a feel to each and every one of he's matches that you just don't see in the WWE very often at all. The thing with this match also was that it had that feel that no matter what Ziggler did it just wasn't enough and Owens just kept coming at him. This was such a feel good, physical match and one that really split the WWE universe. Another nice big win for Kevin Owens and great booking for Dolph Ziggler.

11)Roman Reigns VS Sheamus (RAW 22/6)
In at number six a match I predicted to take place on the night but one I was not originally expecting a lot from as on the twenty second of this month Roman Reigns went one on one with Mr money in the bank, Sheamus. The match came about after Reigns was pinned by Sheamus the previous week on Thursday night Smackdown after Bray Wyatt caused a distraction. Like I said, I wasn't really expecting all that much from this match up. I predicted it in my RAW predictions on the night, it was an obvious booking move but I was interested in seeing how the match would end. I was honestly so surprised with just how great this match was and the response it got. It was a very physical match from the start and throughout. Their both quite similar with how they move around the ring and their styles. Their both huge powerhouses so seeing them work together was going to be interesting. What we needed to remember throughout this match was the roles they were both playing both in the match and on the roster right now. Reigns is constantly on edge with the words and actions of Bray Wyatt haunting he's every thought and Sheamus of course is high on momentum right now with huge win after huge win on he's belt and with the money in the bank briefcase making home in the palm of he's fists he's sporting a huge smile on he's face every single day but with a mini feud with Orton still
active he was walking into this match also on edge, questioning whether or not the viper would make an appearance to get some retribution once again. The actual match saw a lot of tension before any fist could even be thrown. It was a really battle for early control with neither superstar backing down, both trying to get the early advantage and trying to out power the other but it was a Samoan drop from Reigns that changed things up a bit. What I loved the most about this match was that we didn't see one of these two stay in control for too long.To be fair Sheamus did spend slightly more time in control and dominating the match but it was very split. It was a physical, back and fourth match and just like I predicted Sheamus pushed Reigns throughout this match. He pushed him to sell better, to show more strength, to show more speed and more in the ring as a whole and you have to love that.  It was difficult calling a winner for this one. I felt as though they both could have done with the victory but I wouldn't of minded how it ended. This was a very very physical match from the very start right to the very end and I as honestly really surprised with just how much I got into the match. This was easily one of Reigns stronger performances. Once again, the closing moments of this match saw Bray distract Reigns yet again with another haunting promo from Wyatt witch caused a count out victory to Sheamus. Clever ending but Sheamus is going to need to bag a strong victory in the ext couple of weeks. I'm loving the feud so far however between Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt.

Tough Enough Week 2 review and reactions

Comments

Popular Posts