This Weeks RAW and Smackdown LIVE Highlights

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! This time last week I uploaded another RAW and Smackdown LIVE highlights post. In that post I mentioned that I wanted to start trying new things out here on my blog and shaking things up a little, that includes cutting down the amount of reviews/highlights posts I write and uploaded. I've mentioned before that these are not my favourite to write but they do go down pretty well and there are times where I do like going over a show and having a look at some of the best and worse moments, letting you all know how I felt about a certain show. So with all that in mind from now on it looks as though I'm going to be sticking to this format. Every Wednesday I'll take a look back at both the weeks episodes of Monday night RAW and Smackdown LIVE and share with you what I really thought of both shows and the standout moments, matches, segments, and promo's for both shows. Keep in mind that shows following a pay per view event will probably see individual reviews uploaded. As for this week I do have a few more posts coming your way that have been influenced by this weeks shows including my Last minuet WWE Battleground predictions which will go up Friday evening. Talking of that pay per view, as always on Sunday night I will be live tweeting throughout the show, I have family coming to stay making it more difficult to actually work (a one and four year old running around the place at stupid o'clock makes anything and everything difficult) but I'm going to be trying my best to keep on top of things and that does include live tweeting. I'll also be uploading a Highlights or best and worst posts for Battleground on Monday afternoon. As always, any recent blog post post will be linked bellow including last weeks episode of this post and parts one and two of my top ten WWE Superstars of the year so far. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of both RAW and Smackdown LIVE this week by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

Kurt Angle's big Secret is Revealed

Okay, so for the past month or so we have seen little backstage clips of Kurt Angle on the phone and or in deep discussion with RAW commentator Corey Graves where the former United States champion has looked in complete distress. The whole thing has been building up to a new story and a big reveal and during last weeks episode of Monday night RAW it was announced that Kurt Angle will come clean about whats been going on over the past four weeks or so. Since that announcement fans all around the world have been making their predictions and there have been so many suggestions as to what it is Kurt would be coming out to say. Some joked about a gay lover which kept me very entertained if I must say so myself. Some including myself favored the idea of Dixie Carer being involved. Right, so lets just focus on this for a second; I understand that there is no way in a billion years that the WWE would involve Dixie Carter in a storyline but the thought was a good one and they really could have developed a great story there. The most popular rumor however was Stephanie McMahon and an affair between herself and Angle. With so many potential storyline's coming to light last nights announcement was something I was really looking forward to and the one thing I was actually staying awake to see. It's very rare we have something from the WWE that fans genuinely don't know the end result of and we have a touch of mystery but its something that RAW has done really well over the past couple of months. Now, the one issue I did have the segment was the placing. It really was placed at an interesting part of the show. A part of me would have liked to have seen it close the show just because it would have made the whole thing feel like an even bigger deal but the other part of me believed it worked and saved having all the best bits right at the end of the show. The announcement itself was... interesting to say the least. After looking at all the rumors and predictions my favourite avenue to go down was the illegitimate child storyline. So Kurt isn't the oldest WWE superstar on the roster making it difficult to find a superstar that is or at least looks young enough to potentially be his child but in the end I think they've come up with something that works. It was a surprise (sort of) but it worked. Coming out to the ring to announce that he had a relationship with a women back in College Kurt revealed that she had had a son, his son, however he was left completely unaware of the birth of his child up until recently. Moving pretty quickly, he revealed that of course he son had perused a career in pro wrestling and made it to the WWE and Angle soon introduced his son. You ready for it? Former NXT Tag team champion.... American Alpha star... Jason Jordan. Okay, so the reason I wasn't surprise is pretty obvious. Jason Jordan and Chad Gable throughout their WWE careers have both been compared to Angle and fans have wanted to see the three of them work together for a long long time. However, with Gable receiving far more TV time over on Smackdown LIVE recent compared to Jordan it just seemed as though maybe they were giving that to him for a reason and with that in mind he could move over to RAW and be revealed as Angle's son.  I think the WWE have taken a lot of risks with this storyline, especially with splitting up American Alpha but I have a whole post coming up talking about the splitting of several tag teams this year. I do think this has potential. If the WWE build Jordan up right he could be a huge huge star in the WWE on his own but this is also something that could so badly wrong so quickly. Overall, I liked it. I like this storyline, I liked the reveal and for now I'm going to remain optimistic.

Braun Strowman isn't Finished Yet

During a segment from last weeks episode of Monday night RAW it was announced that this weeks RAW main event would see Samoa Joe and Roman Reigns go one on one for the chance to main event SummerSlam and challenge Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal championship. As predicted the two competed in a brilliant match to close the show last night. Joe and Reigns have briefly worked in the ring together in the past and they always seem to do a fantastic job delivering a really strong one one one match up. I can honestly say that I enjoy last nights main event and the wrestling that took place and it did make me wanna see a big big storyline between the two further down the line. Now, while the match itself was strong and I personally really liked it, it wasn't what fans were talking about come the end of the show. As predicted, towards the end of the match Braun Strowman's music hit and things were about to get a lot darker. First setting his sights on Samoa Joe Strowman very quickly had his eyes on the man that has been standing in his way for months, Roman Reigns. Attacking both men a brawl soon broke out with all three superstars looking to get the upper hand, however, as the night came to a close it was Strowman left standing tall as the bodies of Roman Reigns and Samoa Joe lay in the middle of the ring. Again, I liked what I saw. If you read my RAW and Smackdown LIVE highlights from last week and my how I would book Roman Reigns VS John Cena post also from last week you can see that this is exactly what I predicted and wanted to see happen so I don't have any complaints. Hopefully, what happens next is the announcement that at SummerSlam Lesnar will defend his title against Braun Strowman, Roman Reigns, and Samoa Joe in a fatal four way.

Mike Kanellis Makes his in ring WWE Debut

It was back at the Money in the Bank pay per view last month (which feels a millions years ago) that we saw the WWE return of Marie Kanellis and the debut of her husband Mike Kanellis formally known as the miracle  Mike Bennett. Their arrival was something hardcore fans had been waiting for since the brand split accrued last Summer and while its taken them some time to actually arrive on the blue brand when they did so at the previous Smackdown LIVE pay per view it was a great success and I personally really was delighted to see them arrive and return to the WWE. Since Money in the Bank we haven't really seen anything of Mike or Maria in the ring up until last night which again I have no problem with. The mini segments, appearances and backstage work with Sami Zayn hinting at a feud between them was all good and in my personal opinion it worked. I've wanted to see Mike get in the ring since he arrived on the scene but the three to four week wait was worth it and yet again worked. During last nights show he of course made his in ring debut against Sami Zayn and while it was a short and simple match I had an interest to say the least. I wasn't expecting this to be a long match full of wrestling perfection and so there was so no disappointment and I actually felt as though the closing moments were really strong and exactly what Mike and Maria needed. With Maria coming into the ring and blocking the way for Zayn to attack her husband the actions spoke volumes. This very small match allowed Mike and Maria to showcase what they really are all about and to give their characters a little more depth so fans can get more of an understanding as to what the pair are all about. I was actually expecting Mikes WWE in ring debut to take place this weekend at Battleground but I liked that it featured on the show last night. It broke the ice, it got things kick started and if Kanellis does walk into a match at Battleground against Zayn at least now there's more of a story to it and more reason to pay attention.

Alexa Bliss has a new Friend

For months I have been complaining about the work from the RAW women's divison and rightfully so. They continue to use the same four women week in and week out despite the fact that have roster that includes the likes of Alicia Fox, Emma, and Mickie James and when you have both Smackdown LIVE and NXT using all its women to their full potential and really building the divison it drives me crazy seeing the female talent of RAW being used so poorly. There is potential, of course and if the WWE just started using the other women they have on their roster than things will improve massively and the divison will not only feel bigger but also far more important. Now, as SummerSlam approaches the pressure for Alexa Bliss is mounting as the RAW women's champion. Of course, due to the poor booking she only really has to focus on Sasha Banks and Bayley who both appear to be yet again chasing after the title. Okay, I get it, Banks and Bayley have a brilliant history. They both have competed in some brilliant matches, they work amazingly well together and are two of the most over female talents in the WWE however, throughout the years its only been these two and of course Nia Jax who have actually been given a title opportunity. When do we start seeing the likes of Emma and Mickie James getting their title opportunities. Over on Smackdown LIVE, we have five women competing in an unpredictable match up on Sun day at Battleground with the winner facing Naomi at SummerSlam. I just really want to see the WWE start using its female roster to its full potential. Instead of wasting so much time. During last nights show Bliss once again faced off against Bayley in a non title match and while it was Bayley who picked up the win against the champ the match revealed an alliance that I have been waiting to see for quite some time. Alexa Bliss and Nia Jax have brilliant chemistry due to the fact they are so close outside of the ring and I'm glad the WWE finally have them working together but it's something that should have been done a long time ago and it may be a little too late with the WWE missing their opportunity. However, I like the idea and I hope it can work out. I'll be talking more about this whole thing and the women's divison over on on RAW in an up and coming post.

Okay, so as you know, usually I would write a lot more for a highlights post. Last week and in previous posts like this I would write at least three points for one brand another two for the other, however, this weekend the Battleground pay per view is taking place and on Friday I am planning to upload my last minuet predictions for that show and so most of what I want to say about this weeks episode of Smackdown LIVE will feature in that post. So to keep myself from sounding repetitive and you guys reading the same thing I've decided to leave this weeks edition of RAW and Smackdown LIVE Highlights there and the usual set out for this post will return next week hopefully depending on if I separate the posts. For now, you can let me know what your predictions are for Battleground and what you thought of this weeks RAW and Smackdown LIVE by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria. 

Recent Blog Posts:
Top 10 WWE Superstars of 2017 So Far (Part 1)
Top 10 WWE Superstars Of the Year So Far (Part 2)
My Seven Favourite Mae Young Classic Competitors
How I would book: Roman Reigns VS John Cena
Five Top WWE Superstars Who Should be Booked Better

Comments

Popular Posts