My All Time Fave WWE Ladder Matches


In just over a week’s time, fans will see an incredibly special and unique addition of the Money in the Bank PPV. Now, if you know me you will know that this PPV is one of my personal favourites of all time and while the 2020 line up has me a little unimpressed I remain excited to see what the WWE will put on this year! Ladder matches have always played an interesting part in the wrestling industry away from MITB and throughout the years we have been treated to some special encounters with ladders being the key stipulation. In today’s blog post we are going to be looking at some of those special bouts as I discuss some of my personal favourite WWE ladder matches of all time! I will not be including MITB matches in this list because I will be writing a similar piece dissecting some of the best and most memorable Money in the Bank ladder Matches later in the week!


North American Championship Ladder Match

In twenty-eighteen the WWE introduced a fourth title to the NXT roster, the North American Championship. The first to hold the title would be determined in a multi-person ladder match including some of the biggest and best names on the black and gold brand at the time. A diverse mixture of talents fans saw EC3, Ricochet, Adam Cole, Lars Sullivan, Velveteen Dream, and Killian Dane all came to blows in an explosive ladder match for the ages! The stars of the future took part in a standout collision of the year full of nonstop action and the best kind of entertainment! With six men competing it can be easy for at least one person to get lost in the mix but here we saw every single superstar have their moment and there was a great deal of unpredictability here. There was no clear winner and literally, any man could have walked out with a historic win. There was career standout for Ricochet, a career defying performance from Lars Sullivan, an explosive showing for Dane, character excellence from EC3, a flawless performance for Dream and a historic victory for Cole. We don’t see NXT hold many ladder matches but this was not only a standout for the brand but one for the best the WWE has produced in recent years.


TLC Wrestlemania 17

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, Wrestlemania seventeen is my all-time favourite Mania event and I know that is the case for many other fans and one of the standout matches of the evening and a true classic is, of course, the tag team ladder match involving The Hardy Boyz, The Dudley Boyz and Edge and Christian. I’ve spoken about this many times before, so I won’t bore you with the same details, but we all know why this match is featuring today! An all-time great this match makes my list of top five WWE matches of all time! A fantastic era for tag team wrestling these three teams set the bar extremely high for those to follow and this match provided fans with one of the most entertaining bouts we have ever seen! There was a bit of everything here, the phenomenal spots were endless, and the bout catered to the biggest event of the year expectations and more! This isn’t only a classic for tag team wrestling nor an all-time great ladder match but one of the best ever!



Lucha Dragons vs The Usos vs The New Day

Okay, so I’m not sure just how many people will agree with me on this one but I have to say that the TLC PPV collision between the Lucha Dragons, the Usos and New Day is most certainly a favourite ladder match of mine! Taking place in two thousand and fifteen this is still a pretty new and fresh bout and while it is a favourite of mine I don’t see many people talk about this one and it does surprise me! The Lucha Dragons were generally an underrated tag team anyway but, in this match,they really did shine and have some fantastic spots throughout including that epic Salida Del So from the top of the ladder onto another freaking ladder! Xavier Woods on commentary and the role he played added to the entertainment and the fun of watching this both from home and in the arena and every single team showcased just how epic the division could be when given the time! The strengths of the Usos, the Lucha Dragons and the New Day was all on display and this was generally a very entertaining and fun match to watch yet remains underrated! The match is currently up on the WWE YouTube Channel, so I advise you go and give this a re-watch!


Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels

When I ran a poll over on twitter to see what your favourite WWE Ladder match of all time so many of you mentioned Razor Ramon and Shawn Michaels from Wrestlemania ten and I have to admit that too is one of my all-time favourite ladder matches and one of my all-time fave wrestling matches all together! This was still such a fresh angle at the time and the pair made history competing in the first ladder match to take place at Wrestlemania! On top of that the pair unlike what we see today only had the one ladder involved yet managed to pull off a creative and entertaining bout that re-defined how gimmick matches life this were perceived. This was a match involving two incredible wrestlers, two hall o Famers who set the bar and made history. There some memorable moments throughout, the bout grew in intensity as it progressed and for many, this is considered to be an all-time fave match and a total classic!


The Hardy Boyz vs Edge and Christian

At the No Mercy PPV back in nineteen Ninety-Nine history was once again made when The Hardy Boyz and Edge and Christian took part in the first-ever tag team ladder match. No one knew quite what to expect from this one but the two teams created something incredibly special and memorable. Both have gone down as all-time greats in the world of tag team wrestling and throughout the years were apart of some epic tag team bouts epically ladder matches as we have discovered today. Now, TLC at Mania 17 may be my all-time fave Mania Match and a true classic this No Mercy collision is my personal all-time favourite Ladder match. With nothing like it before this night, the two teams created something so entertaining! The spots were so incredible and the action was so creative and intense that fans were left stunned and the two received a standing ovation the following night.



There of course, were so many more matches I could have added to this list! I have a whole other bunch that I wish I could have spoken about so if you would be interested in a part two let me know! For now, you can let me know what your favourite  WWE ladder match is by leaving a comment below or tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:

NXT MUST OPPONENTS FOR KARRION KROSS

EVERYTHING THE WWE GOT RIGHT WITH WOMEN'S DIVISION AT WRESTLEMANIA 36


Comments

Popular Posts