Five Female British Wrestlers you Should know

The past few years have seen women's wrestling reach an all-time high. After years of the division being wasted and mistreated the WWE finally jumped on board with other promotions around the world and took its female talent to the top. Thanks to NXT women's wrestling was reborn and the likes of Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch, Paige, Charlotte, Bayley and many more changed the way women's wrestling was viewed. We have now reached a point that sees women main event RAW, Smackdown, NXT and lives pay per views, we are seeing them booked in fantastic matches and segments, and history making matches such as hell in a cell, iron man matches and falls count anywhere bouts are all taking place. However, while this is all fairly new for the WWE, women over here on the British wrestling scene have been killing it for a long long time and today we are going to be taking a look at some of the leading women here in the British wrestling scene. We are going to be counting down five British female wrestlers you should know! All the women are going to be talking about today are all still currently (as I write this) competing here on the UK scene and are not signed to an NXT contract. There will most certainly be names I'm sure you have all heard of before featuring in this list today and I cannot wait to introduce you to some new names you may not be as aware of! Now, there is of course so much left of this seasons so make sure to keep tuned in and you, of course, can have your say and let me know which female talent here on the British scene you are loving by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet at @TezangiVictoria. Note that I will be writing a series of posts during the build-up of the Royal Rumble pay per view. Finally, as usual, any recent blog posts will be linked bellow at the end!

Kay Lee Ray
The first name in today's blog post is one I'm sure a lot of you reading this will already have heard of considering she is such a big name but if you haven't it's time you started doing your research on the one and only, Kay Lee Ray. Arguably the most recognisable face on the women's British Wrestling scene, Kay Lee Ray is a true veteran and a fan favourite around the world. Throughout British Wrestling season here on my blog you have seen me talk about one of my favourite promotion, ICW and as many of you will know, Ray is one of the biggest faces in the company. Over the years we have seen her take part in some of the best storyline's ICW has to offer, she has stepped in the ring with some of the biggest and best names on the scene including personal favourite, Mikey Whiplash. She has also been apart of some of the best factions in British wrestling today and several of her matches have gone down as some of the best in recent years.  Kay Lee Ray  is a woman that really does blur the lines between a male and female pro wrestlers. Throughout her career, she has stepped in the ring with male opponents way bigger, more experienced and intimidating than she is and not only has walked away with the win proved that her gender does not affect her overall performance and ability. As the princess of Hardcore she really has gone above and beyond in her matches and with a crazy move set this is a girl that is far away from being afraid of taking a risk and pushing the limits. At only twenty-four Kay Lee Ray has already found herself competing for TNA, NXT and the Japanese scene along with holding several championships including becoming the first ever ICW Fierce Female Championship. As she continues to raise the bar and her popularity continues to grow there is no doubt in my mind that is still plenty more coming from Ray as she currently stands at the ICW Women's Champion.

Xia Brookside
Out of every talent, I will be talking about in today's blog post, Xia Brookside is likely to be the name you least know. Daughter of NXT/WWE trainer and former pro wrestler himself Robbie Brookside, Xia is a young woman full of potential and who so early in her career is making such a huge impact.  I will admit that compared to all the other girls that will be featuring in this blog post, Xia is the one I have seen the least of. Not as popular as names such as Kay Lee Ray and Viper she is someone who is yet to really get kick started and be recognised by a wider audience however the work I have seen from her has impressed me so much and her potential is so so clear that I just had to include her in this list today. She is the youngest person I will be talking about today but that does not take away from just how talented she is. Two thousand and sixteen really was the year that Xia started to make an impact as her popularity slowly started to grow after competing in her biggest match to date at an ICW show at the start of the year where she took on Kay Lee Ray and Carmel in a triple threat for the ICW Women's Championship. While she may not have walked away with the title she made sure everyone knew show she was and competing in such a big match against two big names on the British Wrestling scene so early into her career was a huge deal. Throughout the past year, she tag teamed and gone one on one with even more big names in the industry including her cousin. She has continued to be a huge talking point as we enter the new year and trust me when I say this is a girl to watch out for in twenty seventeen and many years to follow as I suspect Xia Brookside is a name we will be hearing a lot lot more, it's crazy to think she has achieved so much in the space of one year already.

Nixon Newell 
Up next we have another name I'm confident a great deal of you would have heard of before, Nixon Newell. Over the past twelve months, Newell has become one of the most popular faces here on the British Wrestling scene thanks to the growth of WCPW. Prior to her debut for WCPW I had briefly heard of Nixon and seen some of her work and alway been a fan of what she delivers. She is someone that knows exactly how to work a crowd and is able to work perfectly as both a heel and a babyface. She very easily became a favourite with the WCPW crowd and the more see of her the more she continues to grow in popularity and becomes an even bigger fan favourite. Out of everyone, I will be talking about in today's blog post-Nixon Newell is the women I feel as the most potential. We have already seen her compete in so many fantastic matches that have demonstrated her amazing skill and potential and I don't doubt for a single second that we only be seeing even stronger and better matches from her over the next year.  If we look at just what she achieved last year you have to be impressed. Not only did she become the first ever WCPW Women's champions but she compete in a handful of standout matches that have shown her to be completely fearless, attempting some remarkable moves we don't see female performers execute often. As I am writing this (early December) I have heard that Nixon has been signed to an NXT contract and if so than I cannot wait to see what twenty seventeen has to offer and I don't doubt at all that she will be a true standout in the NXT women's division in the years to come.

Bea Priestley
Bea Priestley is a name I really did want to include in this blog post. While I may not be her biggest fan ever I can appreciate just how talented she is and the amount of potential she has. Her wrestling ability is strong of course, throughout the past year she has also delivered a number of fantastic performances and put on several standout matches. However, what separates her apart from everyone else in this blog post today is her character and her ability to showcase it perfectly. From the moment I first saw Bea compete I was completely hooked because of how strong her character was. She plays a heel perfectly and knows her character so well. She knows how to get under the skin of the fans and the live crowd and throughout the match she continues to give the crowd every reason to boo her and even give her a reaction in the first place. In her first WCPW match against Nixon Newell she managed to be the one I had my eyes on because of how easily she generates attention and how much character she brings to a match. Her wrestling ability is just as strong. She has always shown great potential whenever she has stepped in the ring and attempts risky moves while also taking some brutal hits and spots. I do think that the more we see of Priestley the more she will win us all over and the better she will get. For now, make sure to go and check out her work and watch as a star is made.

Viper 
And finally, we have a real personal favourite of mine, Viper. Over the years I have spoken about Viper a lot over on social media and in person but I haven't really had the chance to talk about her in detail here on my blog and so I'm so so glad I get to write this blog post today as she was the inspiration behind the entire thing. When I first got back into British Wrestling the women's division
is something that really stood out for me. The competition the women deliver here in the UK is just insane and the standards are so so high; Viper is one of those stars that first grabbed my attention (along with Kay Lee Ray) and she was one of the women who really made me find my hope and faith in women's wrestling once again. The Scottish star has been wrestling since two thousand and eight and over the past couple of years, in particular, she has been taking the British Wrestling by storm with her popularity growing more and more by the day. In recent years we have seen her take part in the TNA British Bootcamp, she has held the ICW Women's championship and has competed in a handful of standout storyline's and matches. She has such a unique look that separates her from everyone else. She's very very dominant in the ring but can also execute moves you might not have originally expected her to be able to. She knows exactly how to entertain a crowd and deliver a five-star match and the amazing thing is, is that there is still so much much more to see of her as is clear she has so much more potential. She is currently one of the most popular stars on the British wrestling scene and I'm expecting her to have one heck of a twenty seventeen. Trust me when I say she is the one talent I'm most excited about seeing in action this year.

This was a blog post I really was passionate about and I did have a lot of fun writing! I hope you guys enjoyed this weeks post for British Wrestling season and as always I would love to know what YOU think so feel free to leave a comment bellow letting me know who you're favourite female BritishWrestlerr today is by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
How I Would Book Finn Balors WWE Return
WWE Smackdown LIVE Highlights
WWE Monday Night RAW Best and Worse Moments
WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament Review
Last Week in Wrestling

Social Media Links:

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts