WWE Royal Rumble 2017 Highlights

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and had a great weekend. Talking of weekend, the past few days have been so massively Wrestling heavy with both NXT Takeover San Antonio and the two thousand and seventeen Royal Rumble pay per view taking place. It was a crazy weekend a lot went down and in today's blog post we are going to be taking a look some of the highlights of last night's Royal Rumble show. We had a lot go down less than twenty-four hours ago and there is so much to go, though. Now, I know I was supposed to write a full NXT Takeover Review but things didn't go to plan because I've had family stay with me this past week and I just haven't had the time, hence the reason why this post is going up later than usual. I will, however, be discussing NXT takeover in full detail in this week's double "Last week in wrestling" post so make sure to check that out when it's uploaded later this week. In today's blog post I'm going to be running you through the highlights of the night with one big rant about some of the things I didn't like. I did want to be a little more adventurous with this post but honestly...I'm so tired. I have never ever been as tired as I am right now. I do plan on doing more for my elimination review in a couple of weeks time. I will try my best to live tweet throughout Monday night RAW and Smackdown LIVE this week but it really has been a crazy week for us British fans. I have no idea how I've reached this point. As always any recent blog post will be linked bellow including the last post in British Wrestling season. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of NXT Takeover and the Royal Rumble by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

New RAW Tag Team Champions are Crowned 

Honestly, I never really enjoy pay per view kick off shows and most the time I lose interest within the first ten minutes but they actually did a really good job last night with the Royal Rumble kickoff show. We had three matches I actually cared about and wanted to see and overall it was conducted very well and I really enjoyed the full two hours. The highlight match of the kick off show came from the RAW tag team division as Sheamus and Cesaro put their titles on the line up against Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows yet again. In recent weeks we have seen these two teams actually put on some entertaining tag team and singles matches and so I was really looking forward to seeing what was going to go down this past weekend. It was a slow start and pre drinks made it difficult to focus but I honestly did enjoy this match. It was one of the better main roster tag matches we have seen without a shadow of a doubt. I was completely invested in the action and I liked how I wasn't one hundred percent sure who would take the win. Personally, I was backing Sheamus and Cesaro mainly because they appear to be on such a role at the moment,  they continue to grow and their matches have been solid. However, I did worry for Anderson and Gallows and how another loss would effect them. Keeping all that in mind I wasn't disappointed what so ever when Anderson and Gallows got the win. These two have been waiting for their moment for months and there have been so many times I worried for these two. They have everything there to be hugely successful in the WWE but the company just haven't been getting it right. Hopefully, now they finally have the titles we can see them booked stronger (and the division booked stronger as a whole) and slight changes made in their character and how they come across in promos and segments. I can also see why the decision was made for Sheamus and Cesaro. The pair are very limited in what they can do and I can see why they would want their reign to end.

John Cena Makes History and ties Ric Flairs Record

The match of the night without a shadow of a doubt was the one on one WWE Championship match between John Cena and AJ Styles. Last year these two put on some fantastic matches that come December I highlighted as some of the best matches of the year. The WWE have been telling a brilliant story between these two that has managed to completely captivate the audience and they're in ring work always has fans on the edge of their seats fully invested in the action. Last night was no different. As the pair went toe to toe yet again this time it was all about the WWE championship and with both men looking to prove a point it was anyone's game. Personally, I was backing Styles, he's someone that I'm completely obsessed with at the moment. I've been a huge fan of his work for years and he really has been such a huge part of Smackdown LIVE since the draft. Last night also marked the one year pay per view since his debut. It's crazy to think just what he has achieved in only twelve months. Entering the Rumble, debuting at number three last year and walking into this year's show as the main man is such a huge deal and showed exactly what kind of superstar he is. As always the crowd and everyone at home was split which is always to be expected in a Cena match. I did like the unpredictability this match had. I honestly wasn't a hundred percent sure which superstar would be walking out the victor and it was that that left me genuinely on the edge of my seat glued to the TV and yelling all kinds of madness. It was so easy for me to get into the action and it was only a matter of time before everyone in my house was completely invested in the action too. The wrestling as always was fantastic. Both men had a great deal of offence with neither superstar remaining in control for too long. You could feel how much this match meant to both of them and the close calls and false finishes had me literally up on my feet. As far as the ending goes, It honestly did not come as a surprise to see Cena get the win. This was such a close match and it really could have gone anyway. Sure, personally, I would have loved to have seen Styles retain and at least hold on until the Elimination Chamber but if you take in everything that happened last night it does make sense. Cena picking up the victory last night does mean that he now ties Ric Flair's record as a sixteen-time world champion. I may not be the world's biggest John Cena fan but love him or hate him you cannot deny the fact he is one of the greates WWE superstars of all time and he deserves to make history. I'm confident this year he will become a seventeen time world champion, watch this space.

Neville Becomes the New Cruiserweight Champion 

The cruiserweight division that is slowly something that is getting on track. It really has been suffering since it made it's return on Monday night RAW last year but the addition of Neville and the division growing has allowed it to come further and we are now very very slowly seeing improvements. They, of course, have a long long way to go but they're getting there slowly. Last night Neville and Rich Swann put one of my personal favourite matches of the night. These are two of the most talented men in the WWE today and when you put their names in lights you know for a fact that they will be delivering something truly amazing. The potential for these two to steal the show was there and they really did live up to expectations. I honestly, could have watched these two compete all night long. I was completely invested and entertained by the action and being such a fan of both these men made it even better. It was nice to see the live crowd invested in the action and for the cruiserweights to get a reaction.There were so many amazing moments in the match and both men looked good throughout. The strikes from both men were insane and Neville in particular just execute everything perfectly and so clean. Like I said, I'm a huge fan of both these superstars but I think everyone can agree that Neville winning was the best decision the WWE could have made. He has single handily saved the cruiserweight division and he really needed to get the win last night. Everyone I spoke to was happy to see him take the title and honestly, I would be completely fine with him holding that championship forever. This was a great match and a really good ending. I also love the fact he won by submission. He has really adapted his move set since his heel turn and I, of course, love what he showed last night. I do believe that Neville working as champion is going to do a lot of good for the division and I do really believe he is going to have a fantastic run.

Tye Dillinger Makes his Main Roster Debut

Even though today's post is all about the Royal Rumble pay per view, I'm not going to be talking about the Royal Rumble match itself too much as I plan on writing an entire post about the match itself later this week so keep an eye out for that. Now, if you follow me on twitter and have been reading my blog for long enough you will know that I have been a huge Tye Dillinger fan for a while. I'm always talking about him and I have written several blog posts talking about him. Over the past few weeks, everyone has been talking about surprise entrants and more so, NXT superstars who should be entering this year's Royal Rumble match. Tye Dillinger was one of the names that has been on everyone's lips. He's been apart of NXT for such a long time now and every single person I spoke to wanted to see him come out at number ten last night. I tweeted out last night how much I wanted this to happen and I would not be very happy if he wasn't the number ten entrant. Luckily my wish came true and at number ten the perfect ten made his arrival in the Royal Rumble match making his first appearance on the main roster. I honestly marked out far too much. This did actually end up being the highlight of the Royal Rumble match for me personally. It was what we all wanted and it was the only thing we all wanted that the WWE actually gave us. I am hoping we now have Tye up on the main roster full time starting in the new month. He's someone the Smackdown LIVE roster could really do with. I'm really hoping he doesn't go to RAW. There is no need what so ever for him to go to RAW, he would completely get lost and take on that number one jobber role within seconds. Tye is such a talented star, so over with the fans and I really hope they get it right with him.

Randy Orton wins the 2017 Royal Rumble

As I literally just said, I was not a big fan of the Royal Rumble match itself. I thought it was extremely disappointing and there was just so much wrong with it. I could honestly go on one big rant about the whole thing but I'm gonna save that for a blog post coming up in the next few weeks so
keep an eye out for that. What I will at least say for now is that I loved how unpredictable the rumble match was this year. We haven't had one this unpredictable in years, probably almost a decade and it was that that had me so interested in the match despite it being an all round disappointment. The unpredictability remained in this match throughout.  In the end, it came down to Bray Wyatt, Randy Orton, and the wrestling satan himself.... Roman Reigns. At this point in the match, I was not a happy bunny at all and anyone but Roman would have been a good pick. There was a moment where I honestly believed that Reigns was going to take the win but thankfully we saw Randy Orton win his second Royal Rumble match and pick up the biggest pop known to man kind after eliminating Reigns. If you had asked me at the start of the night who I thought was going to win the Royal Rumble match, Randy Orton would have been one of the last names to come out my mouth. I didn't see this coming at all and I have to admit that I wasn't very happy with the result but as I said, anyone but Roman! I'm hoping that this is the start of something amazing for Bray Wyatt and maybe even a championship run because let's face it, it's about bloody time. 

Overall the Royal Rumble pay per view itself was really good. There won't a bad match on the card what so ever and that includes the kickoff show. However, the Rumble match was a huge disappointment. We had no surprise entrants (apart from Dillinger) and it fell so flat. What could have been an amazing, epic Royal Rumble was in actual fact terrible. As I said, I will be talking about the Rumble in full detail in a separate blog post later on in the week, for now, you can let me know what you thought of the show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria

Recent Blog Posts:

Comments

Popular Posts