Last Week In Wrestling 14/1 - 21/1

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and of course had a great weekend. So, it's the start of another week which means it's time to take a look back at the past seven days in wrestling. I've been writing these posts for almost a month now and they have actually done way better than I thought they would. I was not expecting to enjoy writing these weekly posts as much as I have done and I would never have thought you guys would enjoy them just as much as you do so I am planning on making sure my "Last Week in Wrestling" posts are a weekly feature here on my blog. I also want to start making sure that I have loads of new and unique content, something I want to really begin to focus on over the next month or so. This past week saw plenty of things go down in the world of pro wrestling including a debut of a new match and a new champion crowned in Impact Wrestling as well as the return of an amazing competitor in the women's division over on Smackdown LIVE. In today's blog post I'm going to be running you through all of the highlights from the best, worse, and biggest pieces of News information. This week I will also be uploading content around the Royal Rumble pay per view so expect that over the next couple of days. I will of course be live tweeting throughout both the Royal Rumble and NXT Takeover with my full  Takeover Review being upload on Sunday and a Royal Rumble Highlights post going up on Monday. I'm then going to start slowly changing things up throughout February including the return of full pay per view prediction posts. As always any recent blog post will be linked bellow including all of last weeks Highlights and best and Worse Moments posts. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of wrestling content from last week by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

WWE NEWS

- First up this week we have to go over the biggest news to come from the WWE and that's f course regarding this year's Hall of Fame. A couple of hours before this week's episode of Monday Night RAW it was announced that Kurt Angle would be the first man inducted into the two thousand and seventeen hall of fame. I mentioned in this week's RAW Best and Worse Moments post that I was so so so happy to hear that Angle would be inducted this year. He's someone I've grown up being a big fan of. I've always loved watching him compete in the ring and the older I've got the more I've realised that I also love writing about him. He seriously deserves his place in the WWE Hall of Fame although I wasn't expecting the announcement this year. There have been plenty of rumours flying around already as to who will induct him. I've heard that Kurt would like Stone Cold Steve Austin to induct him and while I'm not too keen on the idea it would be pretty awesome and great to feel six years old again. There has also been a lot of discussion in regards to whether or not he will actually compete in the WWE for one more match. I, of course, would love to see him do some in-ring work for the company one last time. I've mentioned that I would love to see him take part in the Royal Rumble this year, it's something that I will be talking about more in a future blog post coming up this week but I would also really like to see him do some work with American Alpha or even a role as a general manager at some point. I will definitely be writing more about who I think should be inducted into this year's Hall of Fame and my first post on this will be linked below.

- Over on Smackdown  LIVE this week Becky Lynch and Alexa Bliss made history competing in the fist women's steel cage match for Smackdown LIVE when Bliss put her women's championship on the line. I did a full reactions post on this match and that, of course, will be linked bellow. I mentioned before this match that I really did have high expectations. There were so many opportunities here for Smackdown LIVE to really showcase it's female talent to their best abilities and Bliss and Lynch were two women who could very easily put on a fantastic match. However, it did fall flat. It could have been much much better than it was. There were some great moments throughout and I was certainly entertained from the start right through to the end but I couldn't shake off the feeling that the match could have been so much better. The spots could have been more daring, both superstars could have been more daring and the match itself could have been a lot stronger as a whole. I did like that this was the main event of the show and it did feel like the main event and like a big deal.

- The women were for sure the main attraction on this week's episode of Smackdown LIVE. After Alexa and Becky took over the main event the closing moments of their match saw the help of La Lucha Dora mean that Bliss retained the championship, something I was very very happy about. I know a lot of people hated this ending, I saw a lot of people moaning about the whole thing but I actually really liked it and I did think that it worked just fine. You can see what I thought of that entire match in detail in my full Smackdown LIVE Highlights post which will be linked bellow., After the match we finally got to see the reveal of La Lucha Dora and after plenty of speculation I was right in believing that the women behind the mask were former women's champion, Mickie James. I have spoken about this plenty of times before. Everyone had a different opinion on who they believe should be and who they thought was behind the mask and while there was a horrible part of me that believed they would disappoint us all and have someone like Eva Marie behind it I was so glad to see that my predictions were right and Mickie was the women revealed. There is so much potential here with this storyline and I honestly cannot wait to see where they go with the relationship between Mickie and Alexa in the future. Of course, I'm hoping we see a very similar story to what we got between Mickie and Trish Stratus. If you would like a post talking about how I would book Mickie James Smackdown LIVE run for the next few months then do let me know and I will defintley get onto writing that up.

- Brock Lesnar also returned to Monday Night RAW this past week making it his first WWE appearance since his loss to Goldberg at last year's Survivor Series pay per view. I mentioned that I was really disappointed with what we saw from him but I do believe he will have a huge impact in the Royal Rumble this weekend.

In Other News

- Impact Wrestling this week debuted a brand new match that I honestly was left so confused over. I only caught up on this week's show yesterday and I had heard a lot about this particular match and I thought I would understand it more once I actually watched it but I honestly am still pretty confused. I'm going to try my best to describe the rules of this match but just bare with me and if I get something wrong... don't kill me... okay so the match itself is called Race for the Case and it's very similar to Feast and Fired and the WWE's Money in the bank ladder match. Here, however, we have around twelve competitors entering the ring all vying for a coloured briefcase suspended above the ring. Altogether there are four briefcases and inside each one there is a number and that number is very important with all competitors also fighting for the best number. The number in the briefcase will determine what order the winners will be able to pick a match of their choosing. Meaning that the competitor can challenge for any title. The man who gets number one has endless opportunities:

Source: Impact Wrestling official Website
"Once a match and its stipulation is decided, the other remaining winners with numbers 2,3, and 4 cannot choose the same type of match or stipulation. Their choosing must be much different than the first. For example, if the winner of the case with the number 2 wants to challenge for the World Title and number one has already decided that they indeed want to compete for the World Championship, they are unable and their decision must be rendered obsolete.
All of the winners and their decided matches will take place in the future at Open Fight Night against a person of their choosing."
- Also during this week's episode of Impact Drew Galloway became the brand new Impact Grand Champion taking the title from Moose in the main event. This was the match I had the most interest in this week. I was just naturally drawn to this match more than anything else on this weeks card. I'm a fan of both men but I was really glad to see Galloway with another championship added to his resume.

- Last weekend Tyler Bate became the first ever WWE united Kingdom Champion when he defeated Pete Dunne in the finals. The tournament itself was fantastic and seeing my personal favourite in Tyler Bate pick up the big victory and take the gold home made me so happy. It was amazing seeing the spotlight so heavy on the British Wrestling scene and they really did show the world what the UK and Ireland have to offer in the world of wrestling. There is rumour of Tyler Bate taking part in this weekend's Royal Rumble match something that I really do hope to see. That kind of exposer is exactly what the champion and the championship needs and will for sure help the progression and popularity of the future plans the WWE have with the men they have signed from the tournament. Also in WWE this week more NXT Takeover matches were announce including Tye Dillinger VS
Eric Young and we also saw the contract signing for the NXT Championship match set to take place this weekend between Bobby Roode and current champion Shinsuke Nakamura where the pair did a fantastic job in hyping their takeover match up.
Something a lot of fans have also jumped on is the fact that the WWE uploaded a video in the week where superstars were asked who they would like to see enter this year Royal Rumble match. Durning that video Seth Rollins mentioned NJPW star and one of the most talked about wrestlers in the world today, Kenny Omega. The video has since been deleted and re-uploaded with the new video not including this clip. The whole thing has led to so many people believe this could mean Kenny will be making an appearance, however, due to his contract and everything I won't be getting my hopes up anytime soon. To finish up we also received the sad news that WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy superfly Snuka sadly passed away last Sunday at the age of seventy-three. The WWE played a great tribute to him on last week's RAW.

And that finishes off this week's "Last week in Wrestling" post. Next weeks edition of this post will be uploaded much later in the weeks so keep that in mind. For now, you can let me know what you thought of last weeks wrestling content and what you are looking forward to this week including Royal Rumble predictions by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
Five Female British Wrestlers You Should Know
How I Would Book Finn Balor's WWE Return
WWE Smackdown LIVE Highlights
WWE Monday Night RAW Best and Worse Moments
WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament Review
Five British Wrestlers to Watch in 2017
Five British Wrestlers You Should Know

Comments

Popular Posts