Five British Wrestlers You should know in 2017

I originally became a wrestling fan thanks to my Granddad. Growing up he would always talk about iconic wrestlers he personally loved watching. Names such as Bruno Sammartino, Bob Bucklund, Buddy Rodgers and Hulk Hogan would be common talents I would hear him speak of and show me tape of he was however also very very passionate about British wrestling and thanks to his influence I have grown up a huge fan of British Wrestling. Over the past twelve months, we have seen a huge rise in popularity in wrestling here in the UK. The British Wrestling scene has blown up massively recently thanks to promotions such as ICW, WCPW, NGW and many more and after falling out of love with the scene for so long I was beyond delighted to once again find my own passion and love for British wrestling and it's that that has inspired me to write more about the scene here on my blog. I mentioned during last years of the year season that I wanted to spend two thousand and seventeen focused so much more on British Wrestling and so over the next twelve months you can expect to see very different content here. I am planning on writing monthly reviews and update posts about the scene and much much more in depth top fives and more. Today however we are going to be focusing on a basic post and follow up/ update to a post I wrote months back as I count down five British wrestlers you should know in two thousand and seventeen. If you would like a part two then do let me know but for now you can tell me who is your current favourite Britsh Wrestler today by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoia. Finally, any recent blog posts will be linked right at the very end of today's article.

Gabriel Kidd

So we kick start today's blog post and British Wrestling season here on my blog with one of the youngest meant o feature in this post, Gabriel Kidd. Now, if you are not a loyal WCPW viewer you most probably won't be aware of young Gabriel Kidd but trust me when I say he sure is a talent you are going to want to check out. I will admit that when I first watched him compete I wasn't sold. He wasn't someone for me who stood out in a crowd with nothing big and special with his all round image and character I wasn't sure what to think of him at first, however, the more I watched him the more I began to become a fan and I have to say that he was one of the first names I thought of for this blog post. Now, he may only be nineteen but Kidd moves around that ring like someone way more experienced. His pure wrestling and grappling ability/skills are fantastic and over the past few months, in fact, from the moment he arrived on the WCPW scene he has been delivering good quality matches that have allowed him to show to be a brilliant talent with so much potential. I have been enjoying his work with prince Ameen over the past few months or so and as that hopefully begins to come to an end soon or at least progresses we can expect to see more of Kidd grow meaning more of his amazing skill on show. So far we have seen him compete in some great matches particularly is one on one with former WCPW Champion, Joseph Conners. Two thousand and seventeen is sure to be a good on for Gabriel Kidd and trust me when I say to keep an eye out for him not only over the next twelve months but for many years to come.

Liam Slater 
Unlike Gabriel Kidd, Liam Slater is someone I have briefly spoken about here on my blog in the past. I have mentioned before that while I haven't always been the biggest fan of his character, his wrestling ability is something no one can fault and more so recently he has been grabbing my attention massive and was one of the main inspirations behind this blog post today. The whole reason I wanted to start this season in the first place was because of the fact that last year I really did find my love for British wrestling once again and one of the names that had me hooked once again was Liam Slater. As one of NGW's biggest stars, he was someone that really did have me coming back week in and week out to check out the show and when he joined the WCPW roster I was even more interested in his work. Like I said, I've never been the biggest fan of his character work and that's mainly because I first started watching him on NGW, a show that certainly is aimed at a younger audience and his work just didn't do it for me. However, more recently Slater has been someone that I have not been able to get enough of. At first, I wasn't sure about him teaming up Johnny Moss but over time they have come one of my favourite duos on the British wrestling scene. They are both so massively different both within ring style and their overall image but it just seems to work. Over the past few months, we have seen Slater be a part of some of the best tag team action I have seen in ages and a singles match against Tyler Bate that I have not been able to stop talking about. Slater sure is someone that caters to all audiences. He's a fun, young talent with so much character and wrestling ability still left to show so make sure to keep an eye out for him during twenty seventeen.

Tyler Bate
Up next we have the man that inspired me to write this blog post in the first place, Tyler Bate. Now, I have to quickly say that I did really want to include Bates tag team partner Trent Seven in this blog post however, I am planning on writing a separate post where I talk about these guys in more detail so keep an eye out for that over the next couple of weeks! Ok, so where do we begin with Mr Tyler Bate. First of all, I have to say that this young man is one of my favourite professional wrestlers right now and if you are not aware of his work seriously seriously seriously go and check him out as soon as you have finished reading this blog post, trust me when I say you will not regret it. At only nineteen years old Bate is taking the British wrestling scene by storm with everyone talking about his amazing work in WCPW along with tag team partner Trent Seven. Now, I haven't been watching Bate for long. The first time I watched him compete was during his WCPW debut and I was immediately impressed. He knows and works his character so amazingly well throughout his matches, interacting with the crowd from the moment his music hits to the moment the match is over and he is back backstage. Throughout every single one of the matches I have seen him compete in he has kept me completely entertained by both his charisma and his fantastic wrestling ability. Take his single match against Liam Slater and tag team match up against Slater and Moss at True Legacy as perfect examples of his brilliant talent. His strength is amazing to watch and some of the moves in his move set are just fantastic and so original while at the same time having that classic look and style.   The chemistry between him and Seven really is another thing to admire. They work so amazingly well together and have very quickly become one of my favourite tag teams today. I do honestly believe that twenty seventeen is going to be a huge year for Tyler Bate and while he may be owning it here on the British scene I don't doubt for a single second that it's only a matter of time before we see Bate making his way to NXT.

Will Ospreay 
Now, I'm pretty confident that most of you reading this would have earned of this next name. As one of the biggest names to come out of two thousand and sixteen and the man who sits as one of the best British wrestlers of today it's pretty impossible not to have heard of the one and only, Will Ospreay. While he is someone I have not stopped talking about in person he's someone that I haven't really mentioned here on my blog before which is kinda crazy when you think about it. I have made a few comments here and there over on twitter but this will be the first time I've really had a good chat about Ospreay As I mentioned he was someone that everyone in the wrestling world was talking about last year. After competing in some of the best matches on the independent scene the twenty-three-year-old made a huge name for himself thanks to those bouts and become a Paul Heyman man.Working for some of the biggest wrestling promotions in the world such as ROH, NJPW and the ever growing WCPW. He has made a huge impact everywhere he has gone and anyone can see that his talent is just insane. It's difficult to actually remember he's so young. He has proven in the space of one year that he is able to work as a both a brilliant heel and baby face. He's been apart of factions and made history and let's be honest he will contiue to make a huge impact throughout the next twelve months. He certainly is someone that I'm expecting to see announced as the latest man to sign with NXT but regardless of where he is come December, we can sure expect to have a list full of fantastic moments and matches from him once again.

Primate 
And finally, we have Primate. Again, I haven't spoken much about Primate at all both here on my blog and over on my social media accounts and that's mainly because until now I haven't really been a big fan of his work. When I first started paying attention to him he wasn't someone I was massively keen on. He's character sure did grab my attention and there was never any denying his wrestling
ability, however, there was something that just wasn't working for me. Yet, saying that, I sit here right now someone who really is interested in his work. There really is no other man with a character like Primate and the list of what he could do over the next year or so is just endless. He is such a captivating and interesting character and the work from him could be so much better than we are currently seeing and I do believe that in the next year we really are going to start seeing more of him and his character and that amazing wrestling talent that he has. We have already seen a handful of amazing matches from him that have shown just how strong he is in the ring and I just know that I'm going to be talking about him a lot more here on my blog over the next twelve months.


I had so much fun writing this blog post and kick starting British Wrestling season here on my blog. Over the next four weeks, I'm going to be presenting you with a bunch of posts all focused on the British wrestling scene and I cannot wait! I do plan on writing much more content outside of the WWE this year and I thought this would be a brilliant way to kick-start it! As always I would love to know what you thought of today's blog post and what British Wrestlers you are excited to see more of in the next year so feel free to leave a comment bellow or drop me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.


Social Media Links:
Twitter 
Facebook 
Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts