RAW Superstar Shake Up: Honest Thoughts

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and have had a great start to the week so far! Okay, so we are set for yet another big week in the world of professional wrestling with the spotlight once again heavy on the WWE. It was seven days ago that we saw the WWE announce a brand new superstar shake-up will be taking place which of course will see a number of stars from each show switch brands during his week's episodes of RAW and Smackdown LIVE. Kickstarting during last nights RAW we saw some huge names arrive on Monday night RAW as well as a huge main roster debut that has got everyone talking! Again, this week I have decided to split this post into two parts. You guys know that I usually will upload my RAW and Smackdown LIVE highlights on the Wednesday after both shows have aired and talked about both in one blog post but like last week, because of how big the shows are I have decided to split it into two focusing on each show separately. Things, however, will be going back to normal next week! In today's post, we will be discussing this weeks episode of Monday Night RAW, the good and the bad so make sure to grab a cup of tea! As always, any recent blog posts will be linked below and you can get involved and tell me what you thought of last nights show by leaving a comment below or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

New Arrival and Brand New Champion

This week the WWE is focusing on the superstar shake-up. Two nights consisting of a number of stars moving from one brand to the other with the possibility of a few NXT arrivals thrown into the mix. The WWE wasted no time last night introducing the first new member of Monday night RAW. Former WWE Champion, Jinder Mahal was the first of many to make an impact and make RAW his new home. The move was one I wasn't surprised to see. Jinder was amongst those heavily rumored to be switching brands and so when his music hit I wasn't surprised at all. I do worry about the move. His run as part of Smackdown LIVE was very strong and the WWE were only just about setting him off in the right tracks by having him capture the United States Championship on the grandest stage of them all, Wrestlemania. However, last nights show indicated that Jinders new run on Monday night RAW may not see him booked as strongly and work as of an important and big role on the roster. Facing Jeff Hardy with his United States Championship on the line Mahal dropped the title to Hardy after what was actually one of if not the match of the night. The two didn't have a great deal of chemistry and there really was no story being told. The match was very random, the title change was very out of the blue and the message was interesting. I'm not surprised to see Hardy being given a singles push and having a title put on him so early back from his return, however, as a fan of Jinder Mahal I really hope this isn't the start of a really bad run on Monday night RAW.

The WWE Disappoint with Sasha Banks & Bayley Once Again

I hate having to admit this but I really have been disappointed with what the WWE has done with the feud between Sasha Banks and Bayley. The two were apart of one of the best feuds in NXT history and their matches changed the game for women's wrestling raising the bar in terms of the women's revolution to completely new heights. However, the work we have seen between them up on the main roster hasn't been anywhere near as strong. The WWE has had every chance to really turn this into an entertaining and interesting story but they have failed both women time and time again. Last night was yet another example; instead of giving Banks and Bayley a lengthy amount of time to compete in a match that reminded us all how amazing these two work together and the quality of wrestling they can produce. The match was weak with only a few good spots and a lack of strong storytelling. The ending did see the arrival of The Riott Squad who attacked both Sasha and Bayley. This was an interesting call-up. It does feel as though there isn't much left for them over on the blue brand and the move was possibly one of the smartest decisions made of the night. It does still come across as though these three women don't work together and I am waiting to see them split and go there separate ways. I'm confident these three women will work best on their own, however, the move to RAW allows them to really make an impact and turn things around. They have a new batch of women to set their sights on and with the right story, promos, and in-ring work this could be something that really does turn around.

The Miz is set to Move 

One of my favourite moments of the night saw the Miz given the news he will be moving back to Smackdown LIVE after general Manager Paige and Shane McMahon expressed that Daniel Bryan was very keen on the former IC champion switching brands once again. You guys know that the feud between Daniel Bryan and the Miz is something I have wanted to see for a while. The two-year build has been fantastic with the chemistry and the story being there completely. It's something fans want and I'm super excited to see what the next few months hold. I don't really like the idea of the Miztourage not moving with Miz. Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel really do work well with the Miz and have become a brilliant part of his character. The Miz will, of course, be fine on his own but I do believe the WWE could have missed out on something. I am, however, super excited and happy to see him move over to Smackdown LIVE. It's the one move I really wanted to see this week!

Drew McIntyre Arrives on the Main Roster

Another personal favourite moment of the night saw former NXT Champion Drew McIntyre make his main roster debut. That sentence is a highlight for me, one hundred and ten percent, However, I cannot deny the fact I am really disappointed with a lot of the decisions the WWE have made in regards to Drew. The first is the decision to call him as part of the RAW roster. Smackdown LIVE always should have been the home for McIntyre. The Blue brand is crying out for a big new star and Drew was the perfect fit for that role. I strongly feel as though the WWE has once again missed out on a huge opportunity to really give Smackdown LIVE what it needed and deserves as well as a stronger start on the main roster for McIntyre. I also really am not keen on the elegance between Drew and Dolph Ziggler. There isn't much if anything the WWE can do at this point to make me care about Ziggler and putting these two together just doesn't feel like something that is going to work in the long run, generate fan interest and come across as a good move for both men especially McIntyre.

The New Stars of Monday Night RAW

The first part of the WWE Superstar Shakeup was very interesting. We got plenty of big moves throughout the night including Natalya, Baron Corbin, the Fashion Police, Chad Gable and Bobby Roode. I like the idea of Natalya moving over to RAW and working as a face again. She is far greater in this role and I've mentioned before that I find her heel work simply cringe-worthy! The WWE has kick-started some work between her and Ronda Rousey showing their friendship which we all are
aware of anyway. I do believe the pair could actually work a strong match at some point so this for sure is something to keep your eyes on. Chad Gable was also another great move. He was one of my personal favourites to switch brands this week. I really believe the WWE could be onto something amazing when it comes to Gable. There are so many potential storyline's and matches they can throw him in and in fact I have a whole post coming up on a big story I'm hoping they give Gable heading into SummerSlam! I also love the idea of Shelton Benjamin working on his own over on Smackdown LIVE, it's a decision the blue brand will really benefit from. Then we have Baron Corbin and Bobby Roode who of course I wasn't surprised to see switch brands. There is currently a rumor that suggests Corbin is in for a big push and I believe RAW will really see things turn around for him. As for Roode, he is a brilliant fit for Monday night RAW and I'm super excited to see what the WWE has planned for him!

And that was part one of the WWE superstar shake up twenty eighteen. A mix of good and bad decisions but ultimately I felt as though there were some great moves made and the new look of Monday Night RAW is strong and exciting, I do, however, just hope that we have a good night coming up for Smackdown LIVE. As always, any recent blog posts will be linked below and you can get involved and tell me what you thought of last nights show by leaving a comment below or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
10 WWE Superstars Who must Switch Brands This Week Part 2
10 WWE Superstars Who must Switch Brands This Week Part 1
5 Thoughts the WWE Mixed Match Challenge Left us With
What I really Thought of : NXT Takeover New Orleans
Smackdown LIVE after Wrestlemania: It's All about the Women
RAW After Mania: What Went Down



Comments

Popular Posts