Five Controversial WWE Superstars We Actually Love

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! In all honesty after the tragic events that have recently occurred in my home City I wasn't sure I was going to upload as many posts this week but I wanted to keep everything as normal as possible and ensure I was carrying on doing what makes me happy and that of course is writing about all things wrestling. So today, I do have a brand new post for you and one that I have actually been working on for a couple of weeks now but after being so busy I just haven't the time to write and complete it. Over the past week and a half you would have seen me uploading a lot of Extreme Rules based content following the pay per view taking place this past Sunday (my highlights post for that show will be linked bellow) however, I have mentioned already that I do want to start writing far more creative articles and new lists posts so that is exactly what I have for you today. Over the years we have seen a number of controversial WWE superstars grace the stage of professional wrestling. Superstars who have gone on record to say some pretty shocking and outrageous things both on and off WWE television. Superstars who have worked some of the most questionable and eyebrow raising characters, and in honor of those highly spoken about talents, today, we are going to be taking a look and counting down five controversial WWE superstars we actually love. This list will consist of both current and past WWE superstars and will be the first in a three part installment (lets be honest, five most certainly would never have been enough!). Parts two and three of this post will be uploaded in the coming weeks so keep an eye out for those. As always, any recent blog post will be linked bellow and you can of course let me know what you thought of today's blog post by leaving a comment or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

CM Punk
Okay, so I'm going to have to start this blog post off with one of the most talked about men in the world of pro wrestling, CM Punk. Despite departing with the company a thew years back he remains highly spoken about in our community and rightfully so. While his career outside the WWE hasn't gone down as well as we all hoped he continues to be listed as one of the best wrestler and WWE superstars of this generation and one of the best wrestling characters in history. My love for pro wrestling was at its peak when Punk turned up. He was something different, a breathe for fresh air and he was someone as a younger fan I was super excited about. Everything from his look to his in ring skill grabbed my attention, little did I know however, he would grow to become an all time favourite of mine. During his wrestling career both inside and outside of the WWE Punk competed in a number of fantastic storyline's, feuds and matches that highlighted him as one of the best in the world and in two thousand and eleven Punk was apart of one my all time favourite wrestling matches, squaring off against John Cena at the money in the bank pay per view. In a couple of weeks time I'm looking to write a post listing my top five WWE matches of the past decade and you can most certainly expect to see that feature! Now, when I was taking my notes for this blog post Punk was the first man on my list and the inspiration for this post in the first place. A couple of weeks back I found myself struggling to get any sleep and wondered around on YouTube watching old wrestling videos. Eventually, I stumbled on that epic pipe bomb and I was reminded of just how much of a bad ass Punk was during this time and why I was such a big fan. It was on this night my opinions changed of him changed drastically and my interest in his work grew. He was such a huge talking point and has been ever since that time to be fair. Throughout his career (particularly over the past six years or so) he has been noted as one of the most controversial men in the world of pro wrestling. His on  screen promos, interviews and storyline's showed him to be the reckless superstar we all love. No boundaries, no rules, he's the man we all knew would tell it how it is. Working almost as the voice of the fans he didn't limit himself when he had his hands on that mic and it made him standout brighter than any other superstar and his actions over the past few of years have truly shown him to be one heck of a controversial man in this industry but as the CM Punk chants continue to echo through arena's it's perfectly clear that fans all around the world still love him and he will forever go down as a fan favorite.

Paige
Up next we have the only women to feature in today's blog post, the one and only Paige. Now, as I mentioned in my intro, I am planning on writing up a full women's version of this post but I wanted to make sure to add at least one female superstar to this list and considering she is one of the most talked about controversial women in the company today I thought Paige would be the perfect fit. If you have been reading my blog and following me for long enough you will most certainly be aware of the fact that the formerly known as "diva of tomorrow" has been one of my favourite female superstars of the past decade. I've spent a great deal of time talking about her here on my blog and I have gone on record to say that she will forever go down as fave of mine. Arriving in the WWE at a real difficult time for women's wrestling Paige was a breathe of fresh air. Bringing something completely different to the table she got heads turning and created something truly amazing, a movement that changed women's wrestling completely. As an NXT original it Paige who really did kick start the women's revolution. The attention she and Emma received down in NXT (along with Summer Rae) gave the women's divison something it hadn't seen in a very very long time. Fans had a genuine interest in women's wrestling and thanks to entertaining storyline's, gripping matches, and fantastic character development a movement was made and Paige was right at the forefront. She got everyone talking and whether it was about her look, her wrestling skills or her character she was a talking point regardless and she was making an impact no women had really made in a long long time. Her first few years were the company were the best she and anyone else could imagine, something that could only ever remain a dream to most people but over the past couple of years we have seen Paige's career go completely south. After her relationship with former United States Champion Alberto Del Rio was made public Paige was thrown into a new king of spotlight, a spotlight I'm sure the WWE would rather she never found herself in. Within this time she also found herself injured and suspended and ever since hasn't been able to find her way back on WWE TV and it appears as though she's only still apart of the roster due to the Rock's movie about the former Divas champion. Now, as I have said, I have always been a huge Paige fan. I honestly think she is such a great in ring performer and there really is so much they can do with her because of her character and popularity but on the flip side I can see why the WWE are not very happy and do not have any plans to push her to the top again. Since her suspension Paige has been seen at other wrestling promotions including WCPW (in the crowd) and backstage at Impact. She's also of course been involved in a couple of scandals revealing some personal pictures and videos of herself. Paige has pretty much always been a rather controversial WWE superstar but more so recently however she remains a fan favourite. Her fan base continues to be loyal  and despite the WWE no longer having the faith in her they originally had it appears as though fans all around the world still love Paige and personally I'd love to see her bounce back. Every WWE superstar has a life outside of the WWE and everyone makes mistakes. A lot of the things Paige has been involved in have been out of her control and it would be a shame if the WWE over looked her fantastic in ring skill, popularity and potential.

John Cena
Could I really write a post talking about controversial WWE superstars without mentioning this next man? I don't think so. John Cena must be one of the most controversial men in the history of pro wrestling with no one (up until now) dividing fans as much as the sixteen time world champion. He's the face of the WWE and this generations Hulk Hogan. No one quite brings what Cena brings to the company. However, throughout his career Cena has faced some huge critics and has completely divided the WWE universe. If you look at his more recent work he is far more respected and picks up an even more split crowd reaction but over the years he has faced some harsh reactions from the live crowds. Strongly booed everywhere he goes (including his home town) Cena gets a crowd up on their feet loud and rowdy every single time he appears on WWE TV. One of the worse receptions he ever got goes back to ECW One Night Stand back in two thousand and six when he faced off against Rob Van Dam. This actually one of my favourite matches purely because of the reaction from the fans on the night and the energy in that room. Cena was booed out of the the arena with the insanely passionate ECW fans making it clear he was not welcome. With "If Cena Wins we Riot" signs and one of the most heated crowd reactions we have seen it marked Cena as truly one of the most controversial WWE superstars. What has also rubbed fans up the wrong way is his history with competing against new talent. This is something I personally have spent a great deal of time complaining about both here on my blog in several posts and over on twitter; Now, I'll give it to him, Cena has done a fantastic job stepping in the ring with new guys and giving them the chance to stand out. He's had some truly outstanding matches against the likes of Kevin Owens, Cesaro, Sheamus, Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt, and Rusev to name just a few from recent years however, a great deal of those names have fallen flat on their backside and while they did establish themselves as phenomenal characters and professional wrestlers during those feuds and matches against Cena however none of them really got the upper hand and won their feud. It was Cena that was put over and when he was up against guys like Rusev and Wyatt, superstars that really needed and would have benefited from winning a feud against the great John Cena it really hindered there career especially Bray who hasn't really bounced back and I still believe that if he was able to have gotten the upper hand during that feud things would be a lot different for him now. These booking decisions are obviously not made by Cena himself but he sure does take the blame and he's track record of burying new talent has contributed to why he is so controversial. Keeping all that in mind however, John is one of the most respected WWE superstars and there has been a change in how a lot of people view him. I know I personally can at least respect the guy. Am I fan? No, but he has brought a lot to the company and the world of pro wrestling and I do believe deep down we all have a little soft spot for the guy and done day we will all agree he was a true all time great.

Triple H
Triple H is up next in this little list of controversial WWE superstars. Again, it's kind of impossible not include him. While I grew up completely admiring Triple H he's someone that as I have grown up and learned more about I've ind of find myself just thinking "wow this guy is kinda a dick". Don't get me wrong he is someone that I have always loved watching especially when I was a kid. Me and my brother were always both such big fans of his work, I mean come one, which kid didn't try copying his entrance with a bottle of water? He was a captivating, interesting, and entertaining character and throughout the years he has been apart of some of my favourite matches and storyline's as have plenty of the other superstars mentioned in this post today. However, while  his following is huge and he will forever go down as one of the most influential superstars he is highly controversial and pretty much for similar reasons as Cena. His history with putting over new up and comers hasn't always been great, we know how much Hunter likes a good old shovel. Now, more recently he has changed that around putting over the likes of Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, and Roman Reigns but that hasn't always been the way and over the years he has picked up a lot of heat. Now, I have a strange set of opinions on Triple H. A huge part of me thinks the man is a complete dick but he too has brought so much to the WWE and has been such a huge part of seeing up the future of the WWE that it's hard to dislike him as much. He will always be known as a hugely controversial star but he will also have a level of respect from the fans and because of how much he is was apart of our childhoods. He really is a huge part of the company and over the next few weeks you can expect to see Triple H feature in many more blog posts so for now I'm going to put things on hold with him..

Alberto El Patron
And finally we have Alberto El Patron. Previously known as Alberto Del Rio is a man that has had everyone talking about him for years and this list would not have been complete without him in it. In fact it was Alberto that originally inspired me to write this blog post. Over the past few months I have been going back and re watching some of his work from WWE, WCPW, and Lucha Underground and I've been reminded of just how much of a fan I actually am of him. Over the years he has always always always been someone that I have had an interest in. His character during his time in the WWE was very up and down but he had his strong moments that I always like to think over. Del Rio
achieved a heck of a lot throughout his time with the WWE and its something that we seem to so easily forget. However, its his work outside of the WWE that I have loved more than anything. While he had some decent feuds and solid matches during his WWE run it was when Alberto branched out to places like Lucha Underground and WCPW that he really truly stood out for me. It was here he was able to show so much more depth to his character and his likability and fan base really did see an increase. I found myself far more interested in his promos, segments, storyline's and matches and it was here we really were able to see just how much the WWE were keeping him back and it actually angers me seeing how poorly he was used considering they really could have done so much more and given him more freedom. If you haven't seen his work outside the WWE seriously go and check some of it out because he really is a super schismatic and entertaining guy. The reason he is featuring in this list is because he really is one of the most controversial WWE superstars. He has always had a little bit of a reputation of being the bad boy and since leaving the company last year he hasn't had plenty of good things to say about the company. He's someone that you either love or hate but hardcore fans really can appreciate him for the talented guy that he is and he truly is someone we really do actually love. Again, Alberto is someone I want to spend more time talking about so keep an eye for most posts featuring him.

And that is my list! I am planning on writing part two and three as well as a women's version of this post and hopefully they will be uploaded over the course of the next month or so. Until then you can have your say and let me know who you would have added to this list and who you would like to see in parts two and three by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
Five Reasons To Be Excited About First ever Womens MITB ladder Match
RAW Women's Division at Risk? WWE Monday Night RAW Highlights
WWE Extreme Rules 2017 Highlights
LOST POST: How I would Have Book the end of the Stardust Gimmick
Five Things that Must Happen at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III

Comments

Popular Posts