This Weeks WWE Monday Night RAW Best Bits

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! It's that time of the week again; after another episode of RAW it's time to take a look back at the action from the past twenty four hours in this weeks WWE Monday night RAW highlights post. This week we are going to be focusing on the best bits as I'm trying my very hardest to talk positively about the RAW brand. However, In all fairness, last nights show was actually pretty strong. With only two weeks until the Great Balls of Fire pay per view  the night was full of decent wrestling, strong storytelling and building, and more matches being added to the card for the first ever GBOF pay per view. Now, I was originally going to upload a prediction post for this pay per view but I'm actually going to be away all of next week so plans have changed and I'm going to stick to live tweeting throughout the show and uploading a full review or highlights show the following Monday. Also, note that while I'm away I won't be uploading anything here for the entire week but things will return right back to normal once I'm home and a full routine will kick start in August. Now, back to last nights show and we saw a lot go down, from celebrity guests to a main event number one contenders match for a shot at the RAW Women's championship. In today's post I'm going to be taking a look at some of those biggest and best moments from the night seeing how they will come into play in the weeks to follow as approach Great balls of Fire. As always, any recent blog post will be linked bellow including last weeks Money in the Bank review. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of last nights show by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

The Golden age is Back

Okay, so while this was not the first segment of the night its the first thing on my mind and I just have to get talking about this! If you have been following me for long enough or happen to know me in person you will most certainly be aware of the fact that I am a huge Goldust fan and I have been since I was a little kid. I may not have fully understood his character all those years ago but he was always someone I was completely captivated by and had all the interest in the world. The older I have gotten the more I have appreciated his work and effectively the bigger of a fan I have become of him. Goldust is a superstar that has always had a loyal following despite his poor booking and lack of momentum of the years. I, myself, have featured Goldie in several blog posts where I have spoken about how the WWE could turn things around for him and also touched on just how underrated and underutilized he is. Over the past five years or so Goldust has really struggled to find his place on the roster. He has had a couple of standout moments and his tag team title run a few years back with brother Cody Rhodes was a highlight of his current run. However, with Cody long gone he really has been struggling. I wasn't a fan of his alliance with R-Truth. Sure there were funny little moments but in general it just wasn't something I enjoyed and it was clear from the beginning it was going nowhere. Around a month ago the Golden Truth finally split with Goldust having that much needed heel turn! From that episode of RAW we had been treated to mini videos week in and week out of both R-Truth and Goldust where we got to see the return of old school Goldie. During last nights show we finally saw both superstars make an in ring live appearance and it was made official... the golden age was well and truly back. Rocking his vintage all gold attire it was like I had been transported back to the nineties. I loved the special camera man dressed in head to toe gold, I loved the old school feel to Goldie's character, and the viscous beat down was a highlight. While I don't see this feud in particular being a huge deal I have to admit that I'm loving everything we are seeing. This is exactly what Goldust has needed for so so long and this change in direction  should be exactly what he needs to set off on a much bigger run. We all know that he deserves to have at least one last important serious  run with the company and if the WWE can keep doing what they are doing now then things will really pick up for Goldust and we could really see some amazing work from him. As a Goldie fan I could not be happier.

The Miz and his new Back Up

Again, I have spent a great deal of time talking about the current Intercontinental champion, the Miz. He has been one of the standout stars of the past year benefiting better than anyone from the brand extension last summer. I have already mentioned in the past that I worried that when the superstar shake up took place and he moved from Smackdown LIVE to Monday night RAW that things will go down hill for him. He had so much going for him over on the blue brand and had done so well re-inventing himself and beginning to finally feel like a top name. The worry of him moving to RAW and fading into the background becoming that same superstar we had sen him work as for so long leaving all that hard work for nothing. However, I could not have been more wrong. There hasn't been a dull/ bad moment for the Miz since he came to RAW and the WWE have managed to keep his momentum high.With the IC Title back on his shoulder the Miz once again feels like that big deal he has felt for the past year and as I have already said a million times before, right now there is no one more worthy of holding that championship. No other superstar has what it takes to bring what Miz does to the title and his seventh reign is proving to be yet another success. As he continues to grow we are seeing the character of the Miz develop even more. With his wife Maryse already by his side things look to only bettering better with a new fresh alliance with Bo Dallas and Curtis Axle. Perfect. I spoke about this a little in last weeks highlights posts but I honestly really do love this idea. While Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel will probably never feel like main event talent this is the best role for them. Finally, both superstars have something interesting to work on that has room for improvement and could so easily grow to become something really strong given that the WWE invest enough time and effort into them. They finally have a role and a purpose and are no longer just sitting back stage waiting to put Finn Balor over. Both superstars are so talented and when standing next to the Miz we can really expect them to start feeling like a bigger deal. So far so good. During the show this week, the three were booked in a six man tag team match that went down against Heath Slater, Rhyno, and Dean Ambrose. The momentum was so massively needed last night and if they had picked up the loss it would have been such a weak and terrible start. This win last night ensured that we should be taking this new little faction seriously and opens so many new doors for the Miz and his title run. Honestly, while it's still early days, I cannot wait to see where things go.


Can Bridges be Built between Enzo and Cass?

During last weeks episode of Monday night RAW mine and so many other members of the WWE universe had our hearts broken when it was revealed that Big Cass had been behind the attacks of his long time tag team partner, Enzo Amore. As someone who has followed these two for so long it was such a heartbreaking moment when the split finally happened. To be honest I totally saw this coming. It's been clear from day one that the WWE have been higher on Big Cass and pushing him as a big singles performer and from the moment they were called up it felt as though it was only a matter of time before they were separated. Now, I do have mixed feelings about the whole thing. As I mentioned last week I believe that both have what it takes to be perfectly fine on their own although I do worry about Enzo slightly more. I do think it's a shame that they were never NXT or RAW tag team champions because they honestly deserved it more than any other team however, I can also see now why they never were. The fact they were never champions has given this story everything it needs. Big Cass completely ha the argument that Enzo was holding him back and he was the reason why they were never champions. It sucks but it has given this feud a story and depth meaning that there is more of an interest and more of of an interesting story that has space to grow. It also helps create a path for both these superstars on their journey as singles competitors. On the show this week Enzo came out to address what had happened during those closing moments of last weeks episode of Monday night RAW.  Directing every word at his former tag team partner it was clear that Enzo wanted to fix things and with Cass avoiding his calls over the past week he thought the next best option was to call him out live on Monday night RAW. Of course Cass did eventually make an appearance and in ring segment between the two had be completely glued to my TV screen. The pair looked to have patched things up with Enzo promising that he can prove himself and the two will become RAW tag team champions, however, on the way to the back Cass one again attacked his partner and our hearts broke all over again. Okay, so I totally saw this coming but the entire segment as a whole was again done really and a total highlight of the night. While I hate that these two are no long a tag team I am interested in seeing the pair of them work their feud over the summer and seeing what both their singles careers shape to be like.

A new Number one Contender is Crowned 

So this weeks episode of Monday night RAW saw the women main event in attempt to keep up with Smackdown LIVE in making it's female superstars feel important. Over the past couple of weeks or so I have spent far too much time complaining about the RAW women's divison but to be fair I think I have had every reason to do so. The division has felt like a complete mess for quite some time now with every women appearing to just be all over the place. The booking has been terrible with a lack of creative vision and next to no originality within storylines and weekly booking of matches. This week however the WWE clearly tried to turn things around giving the women the main event spot on a night where Brock Lesnar was set to feature on the show as they competed in the first ever women's Gauntlet match with the winner facing Alexa Bliss for the RAW Women's Championship at t e Great Balls of Fire pay per view. Rightfully so,  had a few doubts about this match. I really wanted these girls to be given enough time to really kill it last night but of course with the history looking the way it looks I worried that things wouldn't go to plan and the match overall would be a fail. However, this was actually a really strong main event. Okay, so things didn't really pick up or get interesting until Sasha Banks entered the match. We don't get many Gauntlet matches nowadays so it was nice to see it as part of the show last night and for the women of RAW to be given the main event spot. Nia Jax was totally the standout here. I know so many people will say Sasha was the women of the night but it was Nia for me who totally took the spotlight. She is a superstar that is forever having to prove herself and is still struggling to really get over but last night was yet another night where she completely stood out and proved herself. Taking out Emma, Mickie James, Bayley, and Dana Brooke before finally losing to Sasha Banks she proved herself yet again. She was completely dominant and was able to show just how long she can compete for and how impressive she actually is as an in ring performer. I wasn't surprised to see Sasha get the win. I would have preferred to have seen the opportunity be given to someone like Mickie James or Emma so we had something different but I do believe that if they are given enough time at Great Balls of Fire these girls can really put on a great match. The show closed with the two women facing off and it was a great end to the night and a perfect step forward for the women's divison over on Monday night RAW.

Over all thoughts

Just like last week, I actually enjoyed the show. I felt as though there was plenty keeping me awake and interested and I was given more reasons to tune into Great Balls of Fire in two weeks time. I wasn't a fan of the opening just because I felt as though that spot should have been used for something else. I know its's something wrestling fans complain about all the time but I hate seeing the show kick start with the same names and the same kind of action. This week Roman Reigns started things off with a promo which led to beat down from Braun Strowman. The end result was right and it was amazing seeing how over Braun Strowman is right now and seeing their story/feud build as we edge closer to the great balls of fire pay per view. We also saw a great confrontation between Brock Lesnar and Samoa Joe. I cannot describe just how excited I am for this up and coming match and the showdown between the two superstars last night really highlighted how equal the pair are physically. As always, any recent blog post will be linked bellow including last weeks Money in the Bank review. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of last nights show by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

4 Reasons Why Nikki Cross Should be Next NXT Women's Champion
Five WWE Superstars Who Should be Champion by 2018
WWE Smackdown LIVE Highlights
OMG Moments from this Weeks Monday Night RAW
Money in the Bank 2017: What I Really Thought

Comments

Popular Posts