RAW Women's Division at Risk? WWE Monday Night RAW Highlights

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! This past weekend the WWE hosted its two thousand and seventeen Extreme Rules pay per view and as the stars of Monday night RAW looked to take the spotlight once again  we were presented with a number of solid matches and a night of a great storytelling and and wrestling. You can check out what I thought of the pay per view in yesterday's Extreme Rules Highlights post. Now, last night was of course the fall out to Extreme Rules and to be fair this week's episode of Monday night RAW was an interesting. Far from show of the year but we had some really really good moments that I cannot wait to talk about in today's post. Unfortunately we also have a couple of down points to make. I have spent some time recently speaking about my opinions on the RAW women's divison and boy do I have a little rant for you today about it! Now, I am planning on uploading more reviews here as I mentioned yesterday but again for today's post I am going to be sticking to a highlights article focusing on the five standout moments during this weeks episode of Monday night RAW. If I have the time tomorrow then a Smackdown LIVE review will be uploaded. Over the next couple of weeks you can expect to see more content in regards to the Money in the bank pay per view as well as brand new lists posts and creative booking based articles. As always any recent post will be linked bellow including my Extreme Rules Highlights post I uploaded yesterday. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of this weeks episode of RAW by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

A Worrying Opening

Unfortunately we kick start today's blog post on a low point. I really wanted to be able to sit here and dish out a load of positive comments about the opening to this weeks episode of Monday night RAW especially after such a solid pay per view on Sunday which of course proved us with an amazing shock result to close the show. However, last nights episode of Monday Night RAW was opened with a disappointing segment and overall result. First of all, I have no idea why the WWE believed it was a good to have Bray Wyatt kick start the show in the first place. Okay, so the promo he delivered made sense and it worked for him and creating a story but the direction it went in was terrible. We've heard the same thing from Bray over and over again and it's time they started a new approach. That doesn't mean a big character change it just means something different that actually works for Bray and allows us fans to believe in him fully once again. The next issue I had was of course Roman Reigns. It appears as though the WWE know exactly what to do when it comes to wrong decisions with Roman Reigns. Looking over at the past year alone its crazy to see just how many opportunities the WWE have missed with him. The chances they have had to turn him heel, the chances they have had to throw him into a storyline that will benefit his character, career and popularity and the chances they have had to actually get him over have all been so clear and there has been so many. It baffles me how they continue to make the same mistakes over and over again and last night was just another to add to the list. Reigns honestly had no place in this opening. This should have been the start of the Bray Wyatt VS Finn Balor feud. Yes, I do want to see these two superstars collide at Summer Slam in august but last night felt like a good place to start and give this feud time to develop. It's something the fans want and its something the WWE themselves have kick started already only dropped it out of nowhere. Instead however, Bray was booked in a singles match against Reigns to kick start things and I was sat there at gone one AM shaking my head and questioning why I was still awake. We all knew how things were going to end and while the match itself was fantastic, a true main event quality singles match the end result to everything away from it. Reigns didn't need the win. He's the type f superstar that can take a loss and it won't massively effect him. However, with Bray, the slightest loss is a big deal and the more we see him lay flat on the mat and take the one, two, three, the more he loses credibility and the more he struggles. The WWE would have lost nothing if they had given the win to Bray last night but instead it was of course Roman who took the victory home and in all honesty the booking decision did nothing for both these superstars and I really don't have any idea what the WWE are going to do to save Bray Wyatt. I still believe he will work with Balor in the near future but the company one day will most certainly regret treating him so poorly.


Neville Continues to Reign Supreme 

On a more positive note, I was very left very happy and entertained by the action in the cruiserweight divison last night. Sunday night saw Neville and Austin Aries deliver a fantastic match (one of my favourites of the night) and the fallout last night was equally as strong. Now, I do want to see the rest of the divison put to good use and the build up for their individual characters has unfortunately been week. Almost a year on and nothing has really come of it. However, there has been one man completely dominating this divison, Neville. He has single handily saved the cruiserweights and when talking about the best storylines, matches, promos, and segments from the divison we always refer to Neville as the man dominating all areas. Over the past couple of months we have seen the champ find use in TJ Perkins now referred to as TJP. As the first Cruiserweight champion knows exactly what it takes to be at the top and to make an impact and the two superstars began working together in what was an effect part time duo. We didn't see them together every single week but when they were standing side by side it worked and made sense. Perkins was there as the perfect distraction. He allowed Neville to get the upper hand throughout his rivalry with Austin Aries and it created a story between them. Now, throughout their time together it was clear from the beginning that TJP wanted a title shot and that would be what was waiting for him at the end of his part time alliance with the champion. During last nights show Perkins once again demanded a title shot from Neville but of course the champ left him hanging and with false promises he told Perkins if he picked up the win in his singles match last night he would speak with Kurt Angle. To close the whole thing off, after the match Neville attacked Perkins in what was a perfectly timed and well done beat down. This is what good booking looks like. There was time for a story to be built and I can honestly say that I have an interest in seeing where this goes. It's your typical storyline but it works and Neville really does continue to show why he is the one man dominating the divison and why he really is the only superstar who right now should be the Cruiserweight champion. I cannot tell you how good it feels to actually be sat here saying good things about the Cruiserweight division.


Samoa Joe Sends a Huge Message to Brock Lesnar

This past Sunday the WWE were able to pull of a big surprise at the end of the Extreme Rules pay per view. The main event saw Roman Reigns, Samoa Joe, Finn Balor, Seth Rollins, and Bray Wyatt face off in a huge fatal five way to determine the new number one contender to Brock Lesnar's WWE Universal Championship. The match was hands down my favourite of the night and the shock ending had me even happier. I mentioned in yesterday's highlights post that I was completely entertained throughout the main event and have noted this as one of the best WWE pay per view main events of the year so far. The match really did make the title feel like a big deal. We had five of the biggest and best talents in the WWE battling it out in a barbaric main event all to get their hands on the Universal Championship. The winner was a surprise. Samoa Joe was the last man I expected to walk away with the victory but this was the perfect surprise and I haven't actually seen or read any bad comments in regards to the choice of winner. Samoa Joe VS Brock Lesnar is a dream match and one I never thought I would actually get to see. I am honestly so so so excited for these two to collide at at Great Balls of Fire (I seriously hate the PPV name) in five weeks time. One of the main reasons I didn't have Joe down as a potential winner was simply because of the lack of story. There was nothing to really go off but you put these two names as your headlines and tickets are going to sell. During the show last night the build up to this match kick started with Joe cutting a solid promo directed at Lesnar and Heyman and it wouldn't be long before Paul himself made an appearance. Now, usually, wherever Paul Heyman is Brock Lesnar isn't far behind and so when Heyman was attacked by Joe I was surprised to see that Lesnar did not make an appearance but unlike a lot of fans I actually liked that he didn't come out last night . Joe made a huge impact and sent a big message to the champ. I loved how this was done, I love that we now have an appearance from Lesnar to look forward to during next weeks show and again, no complaints. This was easily my favourite segment of the night and I'm happy to see things being done so well here.


A Paranoid Intercontinental Champion

On Sunday night The Miz and Dean Ambrose delivered what was a fantastic opening match at the Extreme Rules pay per view. The two superstars work amazingly well together and they are currently involved in one of my favourite feuds in the WWE. While at the start I wasn't happy to see them face off once again following their previous feud on Smackdown LIVE they have proven that they can pull it off and I actually don't care how long they have been feuding for anymore. I like what I'm seeing, I'm entertained and I have no complaints. I mentioned in my Extreme Rules Highlights post (which will be linked bellow) that I wanted to see their rivalry continue on for a little longer. I know I know I know, these two have been going at it for months but honestly, I'm not bored yet at all and I believe there is more good to come. Give these guys at least another month before they head off in different directions. Now, last night the Miz and Dean Ambrose were once again involved in my favourite parts of the show. During the earlier stages of the night we saw Miz totally in his cocky, arrogant role boasting about his win on Sunday night and the fact he is the new and seven time Intercontinental champion. Denying Ambrose a rematch on the night he announced that there would be a celebration following his victory which would take place later that night. We did get to see Elias Samson involved in the first segment which again I really liked, I'm surprised at just how well the WWE are using Elias, something I didn't expect but certainly am happy to see. Later on in the Miz did host his celebration along with wife Maryse and honestly this was one of my favourite segments of the night. We saw Miz completely paranoid, confident that Ambrose would make a surprise appearance and attack him. The entire thing was done so so well and the Miz was bloody fantastic. At this point its impossible to make a bad comment about the guy. Everything he is doing right now is brilliant. He and Ambrose work amazingly well together and after last night I don't think anyone can complain about their feud. They have managed to add a new element to their story that allows the feud to continue on for another month and honestly, I'm excited to see more from them both.


Is the RAW Women's Division Losing its Touch?

So we started today's blog post off on a down note and unfortunately we have to conclude today's post on a down note. As I have touched on, there really was plenty of good to come out of last nights show but as always there were a couple of moments during the show that I strongly disliked and my final point of the day has to go to the women's divison and its another disappointing night. I hate the fact that for two days in a row I have had to refer to the work from the women's divison as one of the down sides of a show but I really don't have much choice. I love women's wrestling. I love how far its come and I love the opportunities coming for women in wrestling over the Summer this year however, Monday night RAW have found themselves completely lost and stuck in a downhill spiral. Over the past month or so there hasn't been any consistent strong work from the divison and after that
terrible RAW women's championship match on Sunday I was hoping to see things turn around during the show last night but I was once again left disappointed. I will admit that I did like the mic work from Alexa and the build up to her title match last night honestly thats about it. Everything else was messy. Facing Nia Jax in a championship match Alexa had her toughest challenge yet and spent the night looking for allies. In the end she competed for about two minuets before a DQ ending resulted in her retaining the title. Everything from this point was just a mess. I didn't understand who was on who's side, what the role of Mickie James and Dana Brooke actually was and who I should be cheering for. Nothing made sense at all and it once again highlighted the bad decisions made on Sunday at Extreme Rules. Looking ahead I do want to see things continue between Nia and Alexa but the WWE have really found themselves in a difficult position with the RAW women's divison and they have a lot of catching up to do to reach the level the Smackdown LIVE women's divison is currently at.

Overall last nights show was pretty decent. There wasn't much I didn't really like and I find myself enjoying more segments, promos and matches than I wasn't enjoying. This was a good follow up show and despite the lows there really were some great moments. Man of the night for me had to be the Miz. The guy is just brilliant. As always you can let me know what you thought of last nights show by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria. 

Recent Blog Post:
WWE Extreme Rules 2017 Highlights
LOST POST: How I would Have Book the end of the Stardust Gimmick
Five Things that Must Happen at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn III

Comments

Popular Posts