Potential Contenders for the IC and United States Championships

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and are having a great start to the week! With Survivor Series done and dusted it's time to focus on the next chapter a new start on both RAW and Smackdown LIVE. With the dawn of new feuds, storyline's and the build-up to Night of Champions all taking place its time to focus on the future and the final month left of twenty-seventeen. With all that being said, in today's blog post we are going to be focusing on the Intercontinental and United States championship. Over the past couple of years, the likes of The Miz, Dean Ambrose, John Cena, Kevin Owens, and AJ Styles have done a brilliant job in making these titles feel more important and like a bigger deal. Over the years some of the biggest and best names have held these championships over the years but there has been a fall. For far too long these titles have been downgraded and it has been very obvious how little of an interest the WWE has had in booking the championship holders and the titles have lost some of their credibility over the years but I'm so glad we have seen that change and things really have turned around. Current champions Baron Corbin and the Miz are doing a fantastic job and I have mentioned in the past that I really do believe the Miz is one of the best Intercontinental champions of all time but while I would love to see him as champ forever that just isn't going to happen and so we need to take a look at future title holders. So in today's post I'm going to be listing potential contenders for both the US and IC championships for the next few months. As always you can let me know what you think and who you believe should be on this list by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria. Finally, any recent blog posts will be linked bellow.

THIS POST WAS PRE POSTED BEFORE THIS WEEKS EPISODE OF RAW!

Bobby Roode

First up in today's blog post, we have the Glorious one, Bobby Roode. Now, of course, there is no denying that the former TNA star should be chasing after the WWE championship and I'm confident that will be happening at some point within the next eighteen months or so but right now that space in the main event picture competing for that championship isn't right for him just yet, what is right for him, however, is challenging Baron Corbin for the UC title. I can really see this being Baron's next big feud and while I can't see them delivering five star matches Roode's experience will allow Corbin to really be pushed to his limits and explore a new and deeper side to his character. A title change is something I would like to see go down here. With the right storyline and direction, this really could work in the favor of both stars with Roode finally being given the type of booking he deserves up on the main roster while Corbin is established as a bigger star and more of his character is shown also. I really hope this is something that we see very soon and if I'm being honest, out of everyone I will be talking about today, Roode is the man I'm most confident will get a title shot very very soon!

Roman Reigns

Over the past year particularly the last few months we have seen Roman Reigns and the Miz collide on neumours different occasions but it's been the current champ who has managed to keep hold of his title and escape from falling at the hands of the big dog. Looking ahead, there are plenty of potential opponents for The Miz and as I said in my intro he really is one of the best champions of all time and so topping his run and what he has brought to the title will be difficult, Roman Reigns however is someone who could elevate that championship to yet another new level. While is is highly likely he will be focusing on the Universal Championship once again as we approach the new year but if we take a look at things right now than I can honestly that a run as IC champion is something I can get behind even if it's only a short run. Whether you love him or hate him there is no denying the fact that Reigns is one of the biggest WWE superstars of today and that means he does have a lot to bring to this championship. The story is already set up between him and Miz and their history means we can expect something decent and a solid contest between the two especially with the Shield by Reigns side and the Miztoruage standing side by side with the Miz. With things feeling as though they are not finished between these two teams I'm confident a title match at least is on the cards.

Elias

Okay, I'm gonna say it, I'm an Elias Samson fan. Some of you may remember that during his time in NXT I mentioned that I was not his biggest fan at all and in fact, I really didn't get behind his character or his work. Sure he competed in a couple of decent matches and he's always been solid in the ring but he never grabbed my attention for any good positive reasons, that however, has changed since he's arrived on the main roster. The WWE has surprisingly booked him really well with victories over the likes of Finn Balor, the Miz, and Matt Hardy. He's on TV every week and the WWE seems to be pretty high on him. With Elias picking up a victory over Matt Hardy this past Sunday at the Survivor Series kick off show the chances of him continuing to build moment and carry on working solid matches regardless of whether he is winning are high and I do believe that within the next few months he could at get a shot at the IC title putting aside whether or not he takes home the win. With both Miz and Elias working as heels it may be a little more unlikely thats book at the moment but there is no denying Elias is full of momentum right now and is at least heading in that direction.

Tye Dillinger

This one really is on the list for personal reasons. I'm a big Tye Dillinger fan and honestly, I just want to see him used more and better. We've seen Dillinger chase after the United States championship before and rather recently, in fact, taking on Corbin and former champion AJ Styles in a triple threat on pay per view but I really do want to see him at least given one more shot to chase after gold. It's unlikely Tye will ever be booked for those bigger championship matches chasing after the WWE title and so this is the best it's going to get but that's not necessarily a bad thing. During his last run in NXT, Tye was massively over and he does have it in him to get to that stage up on the main roster he just needs an opportunity and stronger booking. There's history between Tye and Corbin and while the story between them would be rather basic and maybe more difficult to get over than Corbin vs Bobby Roode but it's something I can at least invest in. Tye is the perfect baby face and of course, the perfect ten and their one on one collision could once again highlight just how strong of a contender Tye is while showing Corbin power and dominance.

Braun Strowman

And finally, talking of dominance we have Braun Strowman. Again, I would much rather see Braun chase after the Universal championship and if I'm being totally honest I would much rather Braun currently working as the Universal Champion but I had to include him in this list today because when you take a look at the roster right now he is someone I would like to see as the IC champion because of what he can bring to the table. We've seen tensions between Miz and Strowman over the past month and so a collision for the title between them would totally make sense and feel right and with Strowman having his face turn this past Sunday at Survivor Series it makes even more sense. Now, I'm sure the WWE are likely to have even bigger plans for Braun but at this stage, I really do want to see him holding a championship in the WWE. He deserves it, he's the most dominant force in the WWE, and his track record over the past eighteen months has been on another level. He's over, he's massively talented and he really is doing it all so why not put the title on him. It makes him more dangerous and adds to his value on the roster and while he does deserve something even stronger I do believe this is the right and best next step for the monster among men.

And there we have it, that's my list! There were other names I wanted to mention including Finn Balor and Sin Cara but I really did want to try and speak about a few different names and change things up. I am planning on writing similar posts to this so keep an eye out for those but for now, you can let me know what you thought of today's post and who you would have added to this list by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent blog posts:
WWE Survivor Series 2017 Highlights
NXT Takeover: War Games Review and Reactions

Comments

Popular Posts