WWE Survivor Series 2017 Highlights

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and of course, had a brilliant weekend! Now, the past few days really have been stacked for us wrestling fans with both NXT Takeover: War Games and the two thousand and seventeen Survivor Series pay per view taking place and I have to say that as a British fan I really am desperate for sleep! I don't think I have ever been this tired! Saying that however, the crazy late nights have been more than worth it with both shows delivering massively and being noted as two of the best of two thousand and seventeen. Yesterday, I did upload my full NXT Takeover: War Games review which will be linked bellow at the end of today's post as per usual but today it's all about Survivor Series. What a damn pay per view. As I just touched on, it was most certainly one of the biggest and best WWE shows of the year with every single match delivering and keeping fans massively entertained. I found myself on edge throughout the main event, up on my feet during the opening and completely entertained from start to finish. So much really did happen during last nights show and so there is plenty to talk about! With that being said, I have two posts this week dedicated to taking a look back at Survivor Series; today I have a highlights post for you talking about some of the best and biggest talking points of the show while on Thursday I will be listing some of the single standouts of the pay per view. Keep in mind I am crazy tired as I write this post but I promise I will keep it as detailed as possible! As always, any recent blog post will be linked below and you can let me know what you thought of both NXT Takeover: War Games and Survivor Series by leaving a comment below or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

The Better team

I wanted to kick-start this blog post off by really putting some spotlight on the blue brand. While Smackdown LIVE didn't walk out of Survivor Series with the all-around victory what stood out for me throughout the night was the fact these guys really were the better team. This is in the sense of they didn't turn on one another (if we ignore what happened between Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens) and throughout both five on five elimination matches team Blue stood strong and while didn't walk away with the win were standing out for their teamwork which did lead to successful eliminations and spots. If we take a look at the women's five on five elimination match the frequent tags, the timing of the tag-ins and teamwork throughout really gave these women a slight advantage and the same thing can be said for the men's team. Again, while they didn't walk out with the victory what we did see was unity. From putting Braun Strowman through an announce table to frequent tags, to John Cena and Randy Orton working together to also take out Braun Strowman, Smackdown LIVE worked as a brilliant team and that's something that no one can deny.

The Queen vs the Goddess

One of my personal favorite matches of the Survivor Series pay per view last night came from the women's division as the RAW and the Smackdown LIVE women's champions went face to face for the first time since both women arrived on the main roster. As I mentioned in my prediction post, both women have come a long way since their previous encounter back when both were apart of the NXT roster and so seeing them compete in the ring last night really was interesting. What I also predicted was that this could have been one of the standout matches of the night and Bliss' best in-ring performance and that's exactly what this was. The women were given a good amount of time to compete which of course I was over the moon about! That fifteen to twenty-minute spot really did allow these two to take each other to the limit and deliver what I personally believe to be one of the best WWE Women's matches of twenty-seventeen. The match had a good flow to it, the fans were invested and the longer it went on the stronger it got. It was hard to really tell who was going to take home the victory for their team and I liked that, it kept me on edge and invested in the match and both women really were true highlights of the night. Charlotte did pick up the victory but Bliss for me was a big standout of the night. She really showed just far she has come in the ring over the past year and why exactly she is champion. I was surprised to not see Carmella Cash in but I do still believe that will be taking place very soon!

The War of the Factions

Kick-starting the Survivor Series pay per view this year saw the war of the factions take place as the Shield and the New Day went head to head. This one was about more than RAW vs Smackdown, this was about who was the better faction. Regardless of whose side you were on there is no denying at all that both the New Day and the Shield are two of the biggest factions in WWE history and that really was proven during this match last night. While it was a slower and less intense start than expected the match was indeed a highlight of the night. All six men had a fantastic showing and it was the Shield who picked up the first victory for team RAW however if we are talking about induvial standouts than Xavier Woods and Big E must be mentioned. Both impressed with their level of strength and athleticism but also their intensity. You could feel how much the New Day as a whole wanted this victory, but the Woods continued to impress as he has done all year round while the risky and impressive spots from Big E allowed him to remain a focal point in the match. What we could also take away from this match was the reception Reigns got from the live crowd who showed that despite him standing alongside Ambrose and Rollins things haven’t changed, he still isn’t winning certain fans over. The match as a whole, however, was a success. It was a strong start to the show, got everyone excited for the rest of the night and raised the energy levels. There is a part of me that expected more from this match, but I most certainly was entertained and there is no denying these are two of the best teams in  WWE history

Braun Strowman's Face turn

This coming Thursday I will be uploading a blog post discussing some of the single standout stars of the Survivor Series pay per view but there is just one man, in particular, I had to talk about in today's, Braun Strowman. The most dominant force of team Red, Strowman was the reason Monday night RAW was able to gain the upper hand in the men's five on five traditional Survivor Series elimination match. As impressive as he has always been he was a key factor in this match and really did prove himself yet again to be one of the most dominant forces in WWE history. However, while he was the reason team Red had such a dominant performance in the main event it seemed as though Triple H wanted that title for himself and int he closing moments of the match we saw Triple H take out Kurt Angle and tease turning on Strowman however, in the end, the king of kings took out Shane McMahon, staring Storwman in the face as he made the pin that would see team RAW take home the final victory of the night. Every part of Brauns' face showed just how pissed he was and in that moment we all saw it coming, Triple H was about to join the list of many who have fallen to the monster among men. Attacking Triple H, Strowman had everyone in the arena up on their feet and the shocking move had me distracted from the fact that the team I was backing had fallen. Strowman's face turn is something I and many fans have been talking about for a while now but I wasn't expecting this to be the way that it is booked. None the less I was very happy with what we saw go down. It was an unexpected way for the night to end but worked and I was left feeling pretty damn satisfied and interested in what is to come in tonight's episode of Monday Night RAW.

RAW VS Smackdown LIVE

As a whole, I really enjoyed Survivor Series. It was without a shadow of a doubt one of the best WWE shows of the year and while team blue didn't take home the victory I was very happy with the show altogether. The main event was one of the best of the year and the twist at the end was a brilliant way to close the night. I will be talking about this in more detail in an up and coming blog post so keep an eye out for that very soon! What we also saw running throughout the night was that theme of RAW VS Smackdown LIVE. It felt like a big deal, it felt like these two shows really were going to war and both sides looked strong throughout. The champion vs champion matches was won by the blue brand and was what really gave Smackdown LIVE the push it needed after two straight victories for Monday night RAW. Corbin picked up a big clean victory over The Miz in a collision of heel vs heel while the Usos and Charlotte also picked up big wins for their team taking out Bliss and Sheamus and Cesaro. AJ Styles vs Brock Lesnar was another match that really impressed and delivered. While of course, Lesnar picked up the victory the two made the show feel even bigger than it was and the two took part in another favorite of mine. Lesnar was as dominant as ever but Styles was able to get the upper hand for a while, he fought back and proved why he really is the phenomenal one.

Now, I do have more Survivor Series content coming up this week. My timing is a little all over the place at the moment and I'm trying my best to get back on track! As always, any recent blog post will be linked below and you can let me know what you thought of both NXT Takeover: War Games and Survivor Series by leaving a comment below or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.


Recent Blog Posts:
NXT Takeover: War Games Review and Reactions

Comments

Popular Posts