WWE Superstars Who Should have been Champion in NXT

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World I hope you are all well and good and have had a good week! So as I mentioned in Tuesday's post this week is NXT week here on my blog. A mini-series where I dedicate three days to all things NXT. In the past, I've done a bigger version of this where it went over the course of a week but I thought I would keep things short and simple this time around mainly because I wanted to dedicate next week to Survivor Series during the final build-up to that pay per view. I am currently really enjoying watching NXT both the current product and older work and it's those older shows that really did inspire today's blog post. Friday I will be taking a look at the women's division and the history of the NXT women's division but for today we are looking at some of the best stars in NXT history who didn't become champion. This is something I've touched on throughout the years in previous blog posts and its a topic I'm crazy passionate about. I have a list of five WWE superstars who should have been champion in NXT but I really do have a list that consists of at least ten so if you would be interested in a part two do let me know in the comments section below. This time next week I will also be uploading my NXT Takeover predictions for the up and coming show. As always any recent blog posts will be linked below including my most recent pay per view review. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of today's blog post and who you think should have been champion in NXT by leaving a comment below or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.


Enzo and Cass

Kickstarting today's blog post off is a tag team and honestly two of the biggest inspirations behind this post. Now, if you have been following me for long enough you won't be surprised to see these guys feature today, I've mentioned countless times that I believe these two should have been champions during their run in NXT and while my opinions have altered just a little over the past few months I still do stick to everything I have said in the past. Throughout its existence, NXT has been known for pushing both the Women's and tag team division to new heights. Feuds and matches have highlighted just how strong both divisions are but also how poorly treated they have been over the years up on the main roster. I grew up a big fan of tag team wrestling and NXT really has reminded me of why. Enzo Amore and Big Cass were two of the biggest most successful tag teams in NXT history. While their in-ring work wasn't the strongest they had serious charisma. Their character work, likability, and energy had fans all across the globe obsessed with them and the more we saw of them the more their popularity grew and the more we as fans waited to see them crowned champions, but it never happened. They competed in some solid matches particularly against the Revival but found themselves forever so close yet so far away from capturing gold. Looking back it seems pretty odd these two were never champions. While it works now because it fed into the story between Cass and Enzo these two were the biggest team in NXT and their run as champions would have been something truly amazing.

Emma

Honestly, it was this next superstar who really did inspire me the most to write this blog post. I'm pretty confident Emma will go down as one of the most underrated and underutilized superstars in WWE History. It was only last week that the news hit that the Australian superstar had been realsed from the company and the fan reaction really did speak volumes. Emma is one of the NXT originals. You go back to those early days of NXT and Emma is there. Her character may have been very very different back then but one thing never changes, the fans respect and love for her. She's always had a loyal following and over the years the fact she has been so mistreated only made her stand out even more and become an even bigger talking point amongst fans. Everyone would question why the WWE wasn't using her to full abilities and why she wasn't getting pushed. It's crazy to think she only ever wrestled one singles match on WWE pay per view. The reason everyone was so confused including myself was that of what we saw from her NXT. Agree or disagree with me but the fact is she and Paige really did kick start this women's revolution. It was their contest to become the first NXT Women's champion and their bout at NXT arrival that put women's wrestling at the forefront. It got people talking and started a revolution but neither women have ever really got the credit they deserve. Emma was one of the most popular women in NXT at that time and throughout her career, she proved just how strong she was in the ring even during her second run. Not only should Emma have been champion in NXT but she should have had a run as either the RAW or Smackdown LIVE women's champion also.

Tyler Breeze

Up next is a man I'm sure you were all expecting to feature in today's blog post, Tyler Breeze. You know, I know it, the whole world knows it, Tyler Breeze is a bloody brilliant all-round WWE superstar. I will admit I had my doubts at first. I questioned the character and seeing him have such a big change in direction from his FCW work to his NXT stuff did leave me very doubtful but my opinions changed very quickly. Tyler Breeze is a massively talented WWE superstar and throughout his career, he's proven just that time and time again. It did take fans time to adjust to his character, understand it and get it over but Tyler owned that character week in and week out. He made himself the star of the show and proved rather quickly that he was more than a pretty face and an interesting character. His matches against the likes of Sami Zayn, Hideo Itami, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tyson Kidd and Neville highlighted Tyler Breeze as one of the best in-ring workers in NXT at that time. He won fans over not by his character solely but what he could so when he stepped into that ring. Constantly putting on quality matches, Breeze stood out as NXT champion material but again it never happened. While what he is doing now has potential the fact remains that he deserves better, he always had done. He more than deserved a run as champion in NXT and he deserves much stronger most consistent booking today.

Becky Lynch

If I was to ask a group of wrestling fans who they believe should have been NXT Women's champion but never was I'm pretty sure the majority will say Becky Lynch and they would be right. I'll admit I'm not the worlds biggest Becky Lynch fan. I've never jumped on the hype as much as everyone else but she is a striking character and strong in-ring performer and throughout her WWE career she has been apart of some great feuds/storylines and solid solid matches. Her standout match of her career was in personal opinion her one on one NXT Women's championship bout against Sasha Banks at NXT Takeover unstoppable. It was here I really did become a fan of hers and where I believe she showed the most diversity in the ring and really upped her game in terms of skill, intensity, and storytelling in the ring. Since then however, I haven't really got many matches I can say I really enjoyed but lets not take anything away from Lynch. She has been one of the leading faces of the women's revolution and of course a member of the four horsewomen but shes also the only member of the four horsewomen not hold the NXT Women's championship. I strongly feel as though it would have worked in her favor and the fact she has been so influential really does highlight the fact she should have had a run as NXT women's champion.

Roman Reigns

Okay, so as I said in the intro, there are quite a few names I feel as though should have been in the list, enough to make a part two, however, I'm sure that not many people were expecting Roman Reigns to feature in today's blog post. I didn't really think I was going to have him on the list or at
least part one either until the very last minute. I was taking a look at the names I had on my list and Reigns jumped out. Why? He's not like some of the superstars we have spoken about today who currently are in a not so great situation in terms of booking. Reigns is one of the biggest stars in wrestling today and whether you love him or hate him he's the top dog in the WWE right now. His run NXT, however, wasn't as standout. He had a couple of decent matches including a triple threat against Ambrose and Rollins during their FCW run but that's all that really standouts. Now, the truth really is that Reigns should have been in NXT just that little bit longer. Rollins was, of course, the first NXT champion and if Reigns had followed in his footsteps and had a title run even if it wasn't as lengthy he may have won over the fans just that little more and walked into things with more respect from the WWE universe. It would have given him, the chance to standout, prove himself, gain popularity and develop some much-needed experience. I understand NXT was very different back then but there is no denying Roman Reigns would have greatly benefited from a longer run there and a title run.

And there we have it, that is my list. I am as I mentioned, planning on writing a part two to go with this post so keep an eye out for that in the coming weeks but of course, for now, you can check out any recent blog post by clicking the links bellow and you can let me know what you thought of today's blog post and who you would have added to the list by leaving a comment or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
WWE Takes over the UK: This weeks RAW and Smackdown LIVE Highlights
5 Best Current NXT Tag Teams
Last Week in Wrestling
Last Month in NXT (OCTOBER)





Comments

Popular Posts