WWE NXT Takeover Chicago 2: Predictions

The last time NXT took over Chicago one of the most devastating tag team splits in recent memory took place when Tommaso Ciampa attacked longtime friend Johnny Gargano. This up and coming Saturday the two will come face to face one more time in a street fight. The pair has risen the bar so high and many expect a standout match of the year performance, however, with the Takeover card stronger and more unpredictable than ever before what will we be calling the match of the night? In today's blog post we are going to be diving into my final NXT Takeover Chicago two predictions so grab a cup of tea and let's get into things!

The Undisputed Era vs Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch

This Saturday Roderick Strong and Kyle O'Riley will represent the Undisputed era defending the NXT Tag team Championships against the growing team of Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch. Now, this is a contest that really does excite me. We have four extremely skilled superstars here in a match that has so much potential. We've seen these four work fantastic singles matches throughout their careers and so the tag team match set to take place this weekend has fans with high expectations. The NXT Tag Team division is as hot as ever with teams including War Raiders and TM-61 looking to make an impact but I'm delighted to see Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch given this opportunity. We've seen glimpses of what these two can do as singles stars but they've never been given the big stage to really showcase their skill and this is exactly that opportunity they have been waiting for and are deserving of. Burch, in particular, is a talent I've been following for a while and so happy to finally see on the right tracks in terms of his WWE career. Do I believe new champions will be crowned here? No. The Undisputed era has so much momentum and still so much to do and there's no sense in having them drop the tag titles just yet. However, I strongly do believe that Burch and Lorcan will make a huge impact this weekend and finally fit in that match that really puts them in the spotlight and changes their careers making them even bigger fan favourites.

Tommaso Ciampa vs Johnny Gargano

I've said it before and I will say it again, Johnny Gargano vs Tommaso Ciampa is one of the best-told stories in wrestling in recent memory. Over a year long, these two have done a fantastic job in providing fans with a storyline that feels real, intense, entertaining and has fans totally invested. Now,  I do feel as though their rivalry does need to come to an end this weekend one way or another. Trying to continue this on will only make this rivalry feel as though it has been dragged out for too long and it won't be easy keeping this as entertaining and authentic. A street fight is a brilliant pick for these two (even though the last man standing match would have been a tad better) as we have seen during the build to this bout. Living up to their previous one on one is also going to prove to be a difficult task considering that was such a highly rated contest but I do believe they have it in them to put on a match just as if not stronger than the last. This is sure to be very intense and for Gargano and Ciampa to really make this work and feel different to their last they're going to have to rais the bar and make this a more hardcore, barbaric fight! As for the win, I'd say this is one of the more unpredictable bouts. Ciampa does need the win and I do feel this victory is better suited for him so I will go with Ciampa. Now, while I did say I didn't feel a third match would be needed I do think its to be expected later on in the summer! Expect this one to be very intense, very barbaric and all around very entertaining!

Nikki Cross vs Shayna Baszler 

Shayna Baszler has been nothing short of dominant since arriving in the WWE with no one able to top her intensity and take out the Queen of Spades herself, that was of course until Nikki Cross set her sights on the one thing Baszler olds close... the NXT Women's championship. Colliding with the champ after Baszlers one on one contest with Dakota Kai the two women set their rivalry and it was evident the NXT universe were team Nikki Cross. Now, I personally wasn't a fan of Cross remaining in NXT while her Sanity allies move over to Smackdown LIVE however, it couldn't be more clear that Nikki is needed in the NXT Women's division right now. She makes for an excellent challenger for the Shayna and a true match for the locker room bully. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of Shayna's promo/mic work recently but when you look at the actual story I love how basic and simple it is. These two are very different superstars but the one thing they do have in common is their passion to be champion. Now, I'm not expecting this to be the match of the night but I do believe that out of all the women's championship bouts this weekend this could be the strongest. The wrestling will be very interesting between these two and I do actually feel as though it could be very strong. The match is sure to start out as more so a fight but I do hope these two are given the time to really develop this match and show their wrestling skill. Who walks out as champion? While I personally will be backing Cross considering I feel as though she's the type of new and different type of champion that's needed I'm expecting to see Baszler retain and remain champion for a while. Will she do so with some four horsewomen help? Will Dakota get involved and in a twist assist Baszler in the win? Either way, I'm very interested in this bout.

Velveteen Dream VS Richocet 

Now, this is by far the match I am most excited about this weekend. Velveteen Dream vs Richocet is a match that could main event any show and while it hasn't taken the main event spot I strongly believe this will, in fact, be the match of the night, match of the weekend and one of the best matches of twenty eighteen! These are two of not only the brightest stars in NXT or the WWE but in the wrestling world today. I will admit I'm more in favor of the Velveteen Dream, I feel as though his all-around work is fantastic and he is, in fact, the guy to beat. Everything from his character work, mic work, and in-ring skill are on point and who he is and his story make him an excellent opponent for Richocet. This too is a very basic story but one that has drawn fans in. The NXT universe has been strongly behind Dream from the get-go and I believe that the Chicago audience will be firmly behind the NXT'S Prince over the new King of the black and yellow brand. I'm expecting this to be a fast-paced, lengthy matchup that has all hooked from start to finish. Spectacular spots, brilliant storytelling and a show-stealing performance from Dream. I, of course, am hoping to see Velveteen pick up the win considering he does need more. He's yet to get a big-time win and a victory over Richocet will be huge! However, the WWE is clearly high on Richocet and I am expecting him to get the win yet come the end of the night it will be the Prince over the King everyone will be talking about.

Aleister Black vs Lars Sullivan

And finally, the NXT Championship match between current title holder Aleister Black vs rising star Lars Sullivan. This is an interesting matchup. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a huge fan of both these stars but shockingly its Sullivan I'm favouring here. I, of course, love Black as the NXT Champion but I want to see an NXT/WWE bread star at the top. Sullivan represents exactly what NXT is all about and for him to be at the top and working as the champion is something I really do want to see and something I see so much potential in. His momentum is so right now but let's be honest, Sullivan has been on fire for months. Since his performance in the Ladder match at the last takeover really was his breakout performance and to be fair, since the start of this year he has been showing why he should be champion. Ending this match with a possible reveal of a new pairing between Sullivan and Paul Ellering may make for an interesting little twist but in all honesty, a clean victory over Black is something I would most certainly not mind seeing!

And those are my NXT Takeover Chicago two Predictions! As always, any recent blog posts will be linked below including all my predictions from this week! Finally, you can get involved and tell me what your predictions are for both NXT Takeover and Money in the Bank by leaving a comment below or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
WWE MONEY IN THE BANK 2018 PREDICTIONS (REST OF THE CARD)
MEN'S MONEY IN THE BANK LADDER MATCH: PREDICTIONS
WOMEN’S MONEY IN THE BANK LADDER MATCH 2018 PREDICTIONS
SUPERSTARS WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN MITB 2018

Comments

Popular Posts