NXT Takeover Brooklyn Review and Reactions

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! This time last year the likes of Finn Balor, Sasha Banks, Bayley, and the Vaudevillians took over the Barclays center in Brooklyn New York with the developmental territory stepping outside of Full Sail for a live special for the first time. One year later a new batch of superstars set to raise the bar even higher as NXT returned to Brooklyn for the second year in a row. Again, another must see line up was put in front of us with a number of stellar matches that grabbed the attention of the NXT universe from the moment they were announced. However, after last years epic show were the NXT roster able to live up to or even exceed what we saw this time last year? In today's blog post I'm going to be taking you back through all of last nights action, reviewing every single match in full and telling you as usual what I thought of every match on the card! Before we get started I have a couple of updates and reminders for you regarding what is coming up here on my blog over the next couple of weeks. Tonight is of course the SummerSlam pay per view and I will be live tweeting throughout the entire show including the pre show so make sure you get following me! All my social media will be linked bellow at the very end of this post! I will also be live tweeting throughout Monday night RAW and Smackdown LIVE. There will be no full review and reactions posts for the shows I just listed but there will be top five moments and best and worse moments for them all! As always any recent blog posts will be linked bellow and you can let me know what you thought of last nights show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Kick starting NXT Takeover Brooklyn two was a singles match that really did surprise me as No Way Jose took on Austin Aries. Now, I will admit that this was the match I was least looking forward. I've always been a fan of Austin Aries, I've written about him several times here on my blog but I have mentioned a couple of times recently that I haven't enjoyed much of his work in NXT. I liked his match against Nakamura at the last Takeover event and I loved that they finally turnt him full on heel. Now, last night he was set to go one on one against No Way Jose and while there has been some kind of build up and storytelling over the past month this was the weaker match on the cad and I wasn't expecting anything great if I'm being completely honest. I was however left completely surprised by the end of the match itself and my opinions had changed so much! It of course wasn't the best match of the night but it was far better than I expected. From the moment he debuted No Way Jose has been all about having fun, dancing and putting similes on the faces of the NXT universe but last night as soon as that bell rang he had his A game on an delivered a brilliant performance by far his best to date. Until last night I hadn't really been amazed by his in ring work. He stepped into the ring with someone far more experienced and more skilled but managed to hold his own perfectly wowing the crowd and impressing everyone watching. We had some hard hitting moments and spots that made both men stand out. I of course was not expecting No Way Jose to walk out the victor and so it came as no surprise when Aries forced Jose to tap out picking up another takeover win. After the match the action continued with Aries wanting everyone to know he was far from over, attacking Jose eve more. However, he would soon regret his decisions with Hideo Itami coming to the aid of Jose and after a mini brawl between the two Itami had everyone on their feet finally hitting the Go To Sleep on NXT TV. I tweeted out last night that a feud between Aries and Itami is something I am very very interested in. It's exactly what both these talents need and the introduction of the feud last night was done perfectly and  true highlight of the night.

Ever heard of Athena? Well last night the indie star made her much anticipated NXT TV debut when she took on the equally impressive, Billie Kay. For the past month NXT have been hyping the debut of Ember Moon. Most hardcore wrestling fans would have heard of Ember Moon before, previously working under the ring name Athena. A talent that has travelled around the world and competed in some fantastic matches Ember Moon is a brilliant addition to the NXT Women's divisor and last night she made she made a huge impact. Everything about this debut was right. Everything was done really really well. From the theme to the entrance to the overall match itself. Ember Moon made a huge impact and made sure that if you didn't know who she was prior to this match you would now be obsessed with her! As someone that has watched her compete for several years I kind of knew what to expect and when you put her up against such a talent like Billie Kay you really are in for a treat. Now, the girls didn't get a great deal of time but it was enough. It was enough for Ember to make an impact and give us all a snip-it of her work. She's a brilliant high flyer, she brings something completely different to the table and her finisher had everyone talking! I also have to mention Billie Kay and her performance last night. I know I have said it before but I really do believe that Billie Kay will be a huge star. She has so much potential. She's strong on the mic, she's very talented in the ring, and she has a fantastic image. With Bayley potentially competing in her final NXT match last night the women's division in NXT really is undergoing a huge shake up and last night Billie Kay and Ember Moon showed us that the future of the division is in safe hands.

Another match that if I'm being honest I wasn't too excited about was Bobby Roode VS Andrade Cien Almas. Again, there wasn't really any build up story heading into this match and it was one of the more predicable matches on the card. However, we were given a solid one on one and the pair really did work together greatly to provide a solid match. This was a bout that had a purpose and the purpose was well and truly served. The star of the match was without a doubt Bobby Roode. From his entrance to his overall performance in the match he made this match well...glorious and made sure to make an impact. There was a lot of character in this match witch I of course loved. I have said from day on that Andrade is someone I do really really like and I still believe that he is someone that NXT really does need on its roster. Last night he gave Roode a run for his money bringing character and a great offence. His high flying spots throughout the match had everyone on their feet and he once again showed that an outstanding match really can come out of him. However, last night was all about Bobby Roode as he picked up the obvious win of the night. I am still very interested in seeing what awaits both these superstars next.

Last night NXT really did deliver. We had several great matches that will for sure be stand outs of not only the weekend but of the year. Now, I am about to make a bold statement and I'm going to say that this next match will be the match of the weekend. The tag division in NXT is something that only gets better and better. Over the past year in particular we really have seen the work in the division just grow from strength to strength and last night we got tag team wrestling at its best. Defending their titles against Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa the Revival looked to prove they are still the dominate tag team in NXT. Now, I honestly do not know where to start with this match. Epic. Seriously a true match of the year contender. It was on the edge of your seat action, unpredictable, and a true representation of what tag team wrestling should be. I predicted that this was going to be one of the stand out matches of the night and I thin a great deal of fans also noted that this could have easily stolen the show and that is exactly what it did. I could not however had predicted just how great this match was going to be. I personally was rooting for Gargano and Ciampa. I have followed their careers for so long and every single part of me wanted to see them walk out of Brooklyn as your NXT Tag Team Champions. For the past month or so these two have been two of the biggest stars in the WWE. From competing in brilliant tag team matches to killing it over on the cruiserweight classic, everyone is talking about these two and last night they proved exactly why. Neither team held back in the slightest with stiff spots, brutal  monomers and fantastic storytelling this was the match that stole the show. It was a tag team wrestling masterclass and something I cannot find fault with at all. I was left on the edge of my seat with fantastic close calls and what I loved about this match the most was how I honestly did not know who was going to walk out the victor. It was such a hard match to predict and just when you thought one team was closing in the brilliant tag team work from the opponent would come into play and change things up completely. A true match of the year contender this was a phenomenal match and another night where the revival proved to be one of the greatest tag teams in pro wrestling today. The standing ovation for Gargano and Ciampa at the end of the match was well deserved after a passionate hard felt championship match.

I was not the worlds biggest fan of the first one on one match between Bayley and Asuka. It took place right after Nakamura VS Zayn and so it was hard to focus and get into the action. I felt it was a little of let down and didn't live up to expectations. Last night the two women faced off one more time with Bayley finally getting her rightful rematch and I have to say that this was much much better. I really did love this match. Just like their first match we had a lot of storytelling that worked brilliantly and only made me enjoy the match even more. Bayley was for me the stand out. I realised in this match just how much of a big Bayley fan I am. I mentioned in my prediction post that one of the things I love the most about Bayley is how she is able to adapt her in ring style and attitude depending on who she is stepping in the ring with. Last night she walked into this match stronger and more determined than ever. Her game plan had changed and her motivation was at an all time high. She took control of the match making sure to never give in to Asuka and to keep fighting. She showed just how far she had come from her previous match against Asuka by refusing to give and fighting through that very submission that took her out several months back. There were a couple of times were Bayley went for a powerbomb but just didn't have the strength and so she had to just think on the spot but everything worked and somehow that botch played into the story of the match. I mentioned on twitter last night that I was backing Bayley a hundred percent but in the end it was Asuka who picked up the win retaining her championship. Both these women had a brilliant showing last night and this really was a special match for Bayley. Most probably her last ever NXT Takeover match Bayley had the best send off with the live crowd showing their respects for a women who has brought so much to NXT.

One of the matches I personally was most looking forward too this weekend was without a doubt the NXT Championship match between Samoa Joe and Shinsuke Nakamura. A solid build with Joe telling a fantastic story this was a must see match between two brilliant strikers and in ring masters making this one no one will want to miss! The expectations were of course very high and after several stand out matches taking place before this one both these superstars were under even more pressure to deliver and keep the momentum of the show at an all time high. W got to see Nakamura given a special entrance that once again made him only come across like the top star that he is and as  mentioned this time last year these slightly special entrances really so emphasise how big these NXT shows are. The moment the bell rang we really got to see the pair  scout one another. Looking into one anothers eyes while circling the ring both talents were waiting for that perfect moment and once they did collide the action really got started and we were presented with a truly excellent match. There really was not a dull moment and the longer it went on the better it got and the more I was left on the edge of my seat glued to the action. This was the first time we had ever seen these two go one on one and they really did not disappoint. In the very early stages both men charged into one another delivering a serious of devastating strikes from chops to brutal knees that changed both the speed and the momentum of the overall match.The crowd of course were very much so behind Nakamura with the sold out arena chanting for him throughout the match giving the challenger something to feed off of that Joe the champion didn't quite have. Despite the pair also not liking each other very much at all
you could tell there was a great deal of respect between them and again a great story was being told from the start and throughout. You could feel just how much both these men wanted to  walk out as champion. You felt the desperation and the aggression from Joe and it was perfectly clear just how much winning the NXT title meant to Nakamura. As the match went on Joe unforced a little game plan realising that if he wants to keep hold of his championship than he was going to have to find a way to prevent Nakamura from getting in those brutal strikes. Lowering the challenger to the mat Joe focused on putting all his weight on the neck of Shinsuke and would from this point work on wearing him down and focusing his attention even more on the lower back and legs of his opponent. There were so many times during this match were I thought things were going to conclude, several close calls, well applied submissions and with both Joe and Nakamura hitting some of there best moves that we have seen put other superstars away in the past, they both began to question what it would take to put the other away with neither giving in. During the closing moments of this show we saw Joe come very very close to walking out still the champion after hitting a Muscle Buster on Nakamura but a very close call left everyone on their feet and after not one but two brutal Kinshasa a new champion was crowned as Shinsuke Nakamura became the new NXT Champion! I really did love this match. I actually watched it again this morning when I was more awake and I was taken aback at just how much I really did love this. It had everything you could ask for in a championship match and they easily lived up to the expectations we all had.

I don't know about you but I really did enjoy NXT Takeover Brooklyn two. Every match had it's own special thing and while the last three matches were clearly the stand outs they all had a purpose and I can honestly say that I enjoyed the entire show. As always I would love to know what you thought so feel free to leave a comment bellow or tweet me at @TezangiVictoria

Recent Blog Posts:
Top 5 WCPW Matches of Season One
Top 5 Current Lucha Underground Stars
WWE SummerSlam Predictions: Finn Balor VS Seth Rollins
WWE SummerSlam Predictions: Brock Lesnar VS Randy Orton
WWE SummerSlam Predictions:Sasha Banks VS Charlotte
WWE SummerSlam Predictions: The Miz VS Apollo Crews
WWE SummerSlam Predictions: Dean Ambrose VS Dolph Ziggler

Social Media Links:
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts