Top 5 WCPW Matches Of Season 1

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! I'm back today with a post that I really wasn't sure whether or not to upload. I wasn't sure how popular it would be or how it would go down but I felt so passionate about it that I just went for it and so here is my top five WCPW matches of season one. For those of you who don't know, WCPW is What Culture (something most hardcore fans will be aware of) very own pro wrestling promotion.The promotion is in it's very very early stages with less than ten shows being aired so far but I have been so impressed that I thought I would write a little post listing my top five matches so far. I was originally planning on writing a top ten instead just because there were so many matches that stood out for me and so many matches I wanted to add to the list but I thought in the end it would be best to start small this time around. I had so much fun writing this post! I did find it difficult to narrow it down to only five matches considering there have been so many standouts. I need to mention that the likes of Joe Hendry and Joseph Conners really have been favourites of mine also and in my written list their names were mentioned so many times! I am planning on writing a standouts post in the coming weeks so keep an eye out for that. Also let me know if you would like a top ten next time. As always you can let me know what your thoughts of WCPW are and what has been your favourite match so far by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria. As always any recent blog post will be linked bellow.


Big Damo & Joe Coffey VS Rampage Brown & Primate

Kick starting my top five WCPW matches of season one is a tag team match. Anyone that has been tuning into WCPW know just how much they love a good tag team match and season one brought us a handful of standouts. When I was taking a little look back at the list I wrote of my top matches of the season I realised that the list was so heavily dominated by tag team matches and so choosing just one or two to go into this list was far more difficult that I expected. In the end however I went for Big Damo and Joe Coffey VS Rampage Brown and Primate. This just had a all my current favourites bundled into one match. It showcased four big guys, four of the promotion's top men and the match itself closed that weeks show on a high. In the coming weeks you are going to see me talking a lot about all four of these talents especially Damo and Coffey and why was shown in this match. It was hard hitting, brutal, entertaining and was a nice little edition to both feuds that were going on. It pushed Primate VS Coffey greatly and made me desperately want to see more from the pair. No one held back and the storytelling was just as strong as the wrestling. I know this might not be everyone's favourite tag team match of season one but it was the one that stood out the most to me when I took a look back at my list and so it had to come in at number five.

Joe Coffey VS Primate

I know, I know, I know, we only just mentioned Primate and Joe Coffey but there one on one match during the final night of season one was truly one of my favourite matches of WCPW so far and so I just had to have it in the list. Joe Coffey is honestly one of my favourite British wrestlers of today. He's someone I really cannot get enough of. I talk about him all the time both here on my blog and over on twitter. He's someone that is dominating the British wrestling scene at the moment, only growing in popularity. During the first thew weeks of WCPW Coffey really was once again one of the stand out stars. Competing almost every week he very quickly became one of the top and biggest faces in the promotion. Every match was of a high standard and he left everyone wanting to see more of him. He also kick started a feud with Primate, someone I have learnt more about in recent weeks. If I'm being honest, at first I wasn't all that sure about the two feuding but it really didn't take all that long for me to jump on board and enjoy what the two were delivering. I wasn't completely sure about the actual story but the in ring action was to a high standard. This match truly was an epic showdown. Again, it was brutal, barbaric and overall stand out of the season. The two tore each other apart and gave us the most hardcore matches from season one. It portrayed everything this feud is about and I just had to include it again in this top five.

Jay Lethal VS El Ligero

I'm gonna say it because I have to, I have not not been the worlds biggest fan of the El Ligero/ Martin Kirby feud. Sure it's been funny, it adds the necessary humour and it keeps me entertained for a little whole but it really is a hit or miss thing and for me it just hasn't worked. Thankfully we have seen El Ligero booked in stand out matches that have allowed him to stand out and showcase his phenomenal wrestling skill. In the early days of WCPW Ligero took on current ROH Champion and a personal current favourite wrestler, Jay Lethal in what was a spectacular match. Here we had two seriously talented pro wrestlers who over the years have made such a huge name for themselves and have delivered a handful of outstanding matches that I still talk about to this day. This match is just another to add to the list and seeing them go one on one really did put a huge smile on my face. Firstly, this was a huge deal for WCPW. For such a young brand so early into it's days to have someone like Jay Lethal working a match for them. I spent all weekend looking forward to seeing Lethal make his arrival in WCPW and for him to be taking on El Ligero of all people was just the icing on top of the cake. The pair took each other on in what was an amazing amazing match that had be glued to my screen from start to finish. The wrestling was just outstanding! This was also the first WCPW match that genuinely had me on the edge of my seat and was the turning point in my opinion of the promotion. I went from not really digging it to being obsessed! Seriously, even if you haven't watched any WCPW I seriously advise you to go and check this out especially if you're a Jay Lethal fan!

Big Damo VS Rampage Brown

The match that had been hyped from day one of WCPW was Big Damo VS Rampage Brown with the two talents battling out to become the first ever WCPW World Champion. Again, at first I wasn't all that fussed. I have already mentioned today that I am a big big fan of both of these men but because I was so critical I just wasn't really bothered to be completely honest. However, just like I have said already as well, it didn't take me time to jump on board and eventually I really did become pretty excited to see what was going to go down between these two and I really did become far more excited to see who would be crowned the first champion. I thought we had a really goo build up presented to us that made sense and made us all really able to choose a side. It was clear who had each role and it just worked. I even grew to like where they were going with the relationship between Damo and Jack the Jobber. The match itself once it rolled around really did exceed expectation. I was honestly expecting this to be a great hard hitting match and of course I was expecting it to be one of the stand outs of the first season. I wasn't however expecting it to be as good as it was. Because I geniuenly wasn't sure how it was going to end I just found myself so into the action and completely glued to my screen. It was a fun, intense match that just grew better and better. It was just as good in fact better than the hype and I have to say that one of the main reasons that I have put this so high in the list is because of the story telling. That twist at the end was so unexpected and so so well done that the entire match automatically became a huge stand out. I loved the ending, I loved how it was done and it highlighted just how big WCPW is about to get and the storytelling just went from four to ten.

Jay Lethal VS Noam Dar

As much as I love a big storyline heading into a match pure, fantastic wrestling will always prevail and this is the perfect example. The one on one match between Jay Lethal and Noam Dar didn't have this huge three week build up with a massive storyline but that didn't prevent me from finding this one of the most exciting matches of the entire season. As soon as it was announced I was beyond thrilled and it straight away became one of my most anticipated matches. It didn't matter what so ever that there was no big big story behind what we were seeing we were sure to get a fantastic match
between two of pro wrestling's stand out stars at the moment. Both are hugely popular, both very very talented and both have such a great resume. In the weeks prior to this match we got to see both these men compete in stand out matches and so even if you somehow wasn't aware of them before this particular match you now were very educated on what they could bring to the table as someone that is a fan of both of them I was so so excited to see them go one on one. Again, this was a huge match for WCPW especially with this being such a new thing on the scene. Lethal did put his ROH Championship on the line witch was just another great part of this match that made it that much more exciting. I of course wasn't expecting to see a title change but with Noam Dar competing in the WWE Cruiserweight Classic it added some kind of story to this match and the commentators put that across excellently. This match just had it all and even though there really was so many stand out matches this was hands down my favourite matches of WCPW Season one.

I had so much fun writing this post! I did find it difficult to narrow it down to only five matches considering there have been so many standouts. I need to mention that the likes of Joe Hendry and Joseph Conners really have been favourites of mine also and in my written list their names were mentioned so many times! I am planning on writing a standouts post in the coming weeks so keep an eye out for that. Also let me know if you would like a top ten next time. As always you can let me know what your thoughts of WCPW are and what has been your favourite match so far by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Posts:
SummerSlam Predictions: The Miz VS Apollo Crews
SummerSlam Predictions: Dean Ambrose VS Dolph Ziggler
Top 5 Current Lucha Underground Stars

Comments

Popular Posts