Smackdown LIVE Highlights: Becoming the Better Show

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! Last night was the first episode of Smackdown LIVE after SummerSlam and what a must see show it was! I tweeted out last night that over the past couple of weeks I have enjoyed watching Smackdown a lot lot more than I have Monday night RAW. I am planning on talking about this a little more over the next month or so watch out for those blog posts in the near future but like I mentioned last night it does feel as though the show runs a lot lot smoother than RAW and I mentioned to my friend last night that because it is an hour shorter we're getting something different every single week. Now, on last nights show the WWE began to build up their Backlash pay per view card with only two  weeks until Smackdown LIVE's first pay per view special. It was yet another entertaining well done show and in today's blog post we are going to be running through the highlights of the show focusing on the points that made Smackdown show that it is the better show of the two. Just a quick reminder or two; I know I said I would be live tweeting throughout this weeks NXT but I have an early morning now so I'll probably miss it this week but next week I will be live tweeting as usual. There will also be no Cruiserweight Classic Review until Friday this week! As always any recent blog post will be linked bellow including my NXT Takeover Brooklyn Review and my SummerSlam Highlights post. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of this weeks show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

It's Every Women for Herself

They may have made us wait a little longer than expected but this week Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon final introduced the Smackdown LIVE Women's Championship and what a beauty it is! Sporting the classic Smackdown Blue Shade the championship is identical to the Monday night RAW addition but change in colour does make it stand out a lot more and I have to say that after seeing the WWE Universal Championship revealed at SummerSlam this looks like a piece of art in comparison! The reveal both the women's championship and the brand new Smackdown LIVE Tag team championships (something we will talk about later on in the post) was revealed at the top of the show with both the tag team and women's division present in the ring. McMahon and Bryan would soon reveal that a new champion would be crowned in two weeks time at the Backlash pay per view. Now, I was expecting some kind of tournament to determine the two women who will battle it out at the live special but it was announced that all six women would get an opportunity as Alexa Bliss, Natalya, Becky Lynch, Carmella, Naomi, and Nikki Bella compete in the first women's six pack challenge. I mentioned last night that I was so glad to see all of the women get the opportunity to compete on a big stage to become the first champ. I love that Smackdown are showcasing all their female talent and the unpredictability of the match is what will make this a true must see. What I'm hopeing is the girls are given a long about of time to actually compete. Say they are given twenty minuets or more we really could see a stand out match that could rival any up and coming women's championship bout. I also tweeted out last night I was struggling to decide who I personally wanted to see walk out as champion in a couple of weeks time. You justify almost all six of these women becoming champion. I know Becky Lynch is a very very popular choice amongst fans but there's a part of me that would love to see Naomi or Natalya take the title also so I'm defintley torn! Let me know who you would like to see crowned as the first Smackdown LIVE Women's Champ.

Early Tag Team Tournament Standouts 

This weeks episode of Smackdown LIVE also saw brand new tag team titles revealed. The start of the show saw the rather poorly designed championship in the centre of the ring with the tag division surrounding them. It was soon announced that there would be a tag team tournament with the finals taking place in two weeks time at the Backlash pay per view. The tournament kick started last night with the first two matches taking place. First up we saw the Usos challenge the Ascension in what was a very predicable match. Now, I know I say it a lot but I'm going to have to go there again; what the actual fuck happened to the Ascension. Any long time FCW/NXT fans will know that there was once a time where the Ascension were one of the most respected, promising and dominate tag teams around. They pushed while n developmental as the stars of the future when it came to tag team wrestling becoming one of the must and and most respected teams the roster had to offer. Last night the pair had no chance in picking up the victory and getting one step closer to becoming the first Smackdown LIVE Tag team champions. The Usos remain one of the WWE's favourites in the division and I don't doubt for a single second that they will go on to compete in the finals. However, walking out of Backlash as champions may be a little difficult as former NXT Tag team Champions American Alpha look to be their biggest competition and after defeating Tyler Breeze and Fandango last night in what was a great match to advance I think it's safe to say these two popular teams will be the guys we see battle it out to take those titles. Again, I would love to know who you guys are backing, personally it will come to no surprise to learn that I'm rooting for Gable and Jordan but let me know who your favourites are down in the comments section!

Bray Wyatt Sets his Sights on The Viper 

Smackdown LIVE is currently a very very exciting place. There's so much going on, so much to look forward too and with Backlash around the corner and the roster growing every week things are only getting better and stronger for what was once viewed as the weaker show. One of the most exciting things going on at the moment and something that I am loving very very much is the growing feud between the Viper, Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt. Over the past couple of weeks we have seen the seeds planted for what is set to be a brilliant feud between two outstanding superstars. Fresh off his brutal match up against Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam Orton came down to address the Smackdown LIVE crowd following what happened on Sunday night. The former world champion however was soon interrupted by the one and only, Bray Wyatt who had a few words Orton. Now, when I was watching this all I wanted to do was clap my hands at the TV. This is exactly what Wyatt needs. A strong feud against a top, established superstar who can put him over massivley. Whats also so great about this feud is how it's being done. They haven't gone straight in creating this huge crazy story and giving us everything all at once. It's a slow build up, not giving away too much and it really is something that I know is just going to get better and better and more intense and must see. What I'm hopeing and what I think we are all hopeing is that Orton puts Wyatt over. A victory over Orton and the overall win in this feud is exactly what Wyatt needs and will give him the momentum he will need to carry him into the WWE Championship picture. 

Carmella Sends a Message 

This past Sunday at the SummerSlam pay per view Nikki Bella made her much anticipated return to the WWE after around ten months out of action due to a neck injury. I made it perfectly clear that I wanted to see her return and have mentioned a lot recently how much I have missed her. The reaction she picked up from the live crowd on Sunday made it clear that I wasn't the only one who missed the former champion! I was however really surprised to see her comeback as a heel. Joining the heel team was something that didn't sit well with me. Sure it made sense on the night but it just sucked seeing her get such a huge reaction and have to join the heel team. Anyway, last night Nikki was set to make her Smackdown LIVE debut going one on one against new comer Carmella. The however didn't go as planned with Carmella surprising us all attacking Nikki during an in ring interview with Renee Young effectively turning heel. I had real mixed feelings on this at the begging. As someone that has followed Carmella for so long I like seeing her work as a baby face but since her call up she really has struggled to get over with the main roster fans. The fact is is she isn't getting a big enough reaction and so the heel turn did make sense. I've also mentioned in the past that I do believe Carmella has it in her to work as a fantastic heel. It also spices things up a little for the six pack challenge with more stories going on and even more unpredictability when it comes to who walks out as champion. 

AJ Styles Gets his Opportunity 

 After defeating John Cena this past Sunday at the SummerSlam in what was the match of the night (in my personal opinion) last night saw AJ Styles set his sights on a new target, the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. Sunday night also saw Dean Ambrose successfully defend his championship against the show off Dolph Ziggler and so it was the start of a new feud for both these superstars. However, there was one man who wasn't quite over chasing after the most prestigious prize Smackdown has to offer. At the top  of the show we saw Styles rub in his victory while also kicking a man while his down when it came to Ziggler and his huge loss on Sunday night. That would later set up the nights main event as Dolph Ziggler and AJ Styles went one on one and if Styles was able to defeat Ziggler than he would go on to face Ambrose next month at the Backlash pay per view and if Ziggler was able to knock off Styles the match at Backlash would become a triple threat. I was all for this main event. It was Styles that Ziggler pinned all the way back in the six pack challenge and after what we saw this past weekend the match just made perfect sense and what a
match it was. Without a doubt the match of the night, Ziggler and Styles gave us a phenomenal match (excuse the pun). I honestly enjoyed every single second and my thoughts on who I wanted to pick up the win changed at least four times. There was a part of me that believed that it would be best for Ambrose if this match was a triple threat but in the end it was Styles who picked up the victory meaning Ziggler was out of the picture. Now, I'm super excite for this Backlash main event. I honestly have no idea who is going to walk out as champ and I love that it's a touch unpredictable. I would of course love to see Ambrose retain and keep hold of that title for a little longer but I do think it's gonna be a close one. 

I don't know about you but I loved this weeks episode of Smackdown LIVE. Every single week the show gets better and stronger. There is something fun and exciting going on in every division and with almost every superstar. It's a very fair, equal place with everyone getting an opportunity. I talked about it last night on twitter but Smackdown really is becoming the stronger and better overall show. The one hour less is working in their favour a hundred percent. We're getting something different every week, there's a better more positive vibe and the show is run much much better than RAW. I genuinely cannot wait to see what goes down on the show next week and I'm even more excited for the Backlash pay per view with the card already looking strong. As always you can let me know what you thought of this weeks show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me
 at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:

Social Media Links: 
Find me here:

Comments

Popular Posts