7 Mae Young Classic Competitors the WWE Must Sign

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! I'm back today with a brand new post that I have wanted to write for the past few weeks but wanted to wait some time to do so. So as well know, the past month has been dominated by all things Mae Young Classic as thirty two women from around the world set out to make history. The finale of the tournament saw Shayna Baszler and Kairi Sane battle it out and you can check out what I thought of that match and the entire classic by clicking on the link right at the very end of today's post. Now, throughout the tournament there were a number of women that stood out and in today's blog posts I want to mention some of those women as I count down seven Mae Young Classic competitors I believe the WWE muse sign. Now, keep in mind that  there were so many more than just seven women I wanted to talk about and I have listed a few others right at the end but I wanted to keep the focus on just seven. I'm sure however, I will be talking about the others in up and coming blog post set to come your way in the near future. I had so much fun writing this post and I cannot wait for you guys to check it out! Don't forget that any recent blog posts will be linked bellow including my Mae Young Classic final review and finally, you can let me know what you thought of the tournament an who you believe the WWE should sign by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.
EDIT: This post was pre posted and since then some of the women mentioned in today's post have now been signed. An updated version of this post will go up SOON!

Toni Storm

Kick starting today's blog post off is Toni Storm. The Mae Young Classic was full of women from all around the world and Australia provided us with a couple of competitors, one of those competitors being Toni Storm. Prior arrival in the Mae Young Classic storm was someone I was very aware of. I've briefly mentioned her in previous blog posts and throughout the past month she has featured in a number of different posts here on my blog when reviewing the tournament. Storm was one of the women I was most excited about being apart of the classic and her performances as the tournament developed only grew stronger and stronger as she proved herself to be one heck of a talent. Very early on it was made clear that she was a fan favourite picking up one of the biggest reactions of the tournament and having the fans firmly behind her throughout. Bringing something new and exciting to the table Toni Storm makes you feel as though she's not like any other and instead of comparing her to previous and current female competitors you watch Toni compete and you get the vibe she is the first of  of something new and exciting. Standing out from the crowd Toni has a different look, a cool edgy character fans can get behind and her in ring work matches her charisma. There were so many women throughout this tournament that made an impact and proved to be massively liked by the fans but it appears as thought the respect for Toni is something that increased greatly as time progressed. Her first two matches in the tournament were a little weaker than I would have expected from her but her matches against Kairi Sane and Piper Niven later on proved to be two of my favourite matches of the entire tournament as she showed her diversity in the ring and charisma massively. Storm would be an amazing addition to the WWE Women's divison and bouts against the likes of Becky Lynch, Sasha Banks and Nia Jax would make interesting must sees.

Piper Niven

We've just mentioned but up next is Scotland's very own Piper Niven. Like many of the names I'll be mentioning today, Piper is someone I have written about before here on my blog particularly at the start of the year when I spent a month dedicated to British wrestling. In that post I mentioned Piper who then was working under the ring name Viper to be one of the most promising wrestlers on the scene right now and throughout the year she has proven that point over and over again peaking at the Mae Young Classic. The past couple of years I've paid a lot of attention to Piper as she stands out as one of the most dominant and impressive women on the British scene. First learning about her over in ICW, Piper stood out for her unique look and bigger frame, however it's her in ring work that separates her from the rest. Despite being larger than most her opponents Piper has incredible cardio and her athleticism and agility mixed in with her power and dominance means that she is a true threat and a challenge for any women her chooses to stand opposite her. Throughout her career Niven has been apart of some strong matches including against the likes of Kay Lee Rae but the Mae Young Classic aloud her to shine on a different scale in front of a much much bigger audience. Niven has been making history and breaking down barriers for the past few years but in this tournament she went out there and was honestly apart of some of my favourite matches of the tournament. Her standout performance came from a bout against Toni Storm where she really did show the world just how versatile she can be switching up her style to benefit herself. Again, she proved to be massively popular with the fans and the respect from the fans seemed to grow throughout the tournament. Now, she may not have reached the finals but Piper made a huge impact. She stood out for so many different reasons but its her unique look, versatility in the ring, ability to adapt her style, and deliver in the ring that the WWE need to remember. She showed the world what a bigger women can do in the ring putting the likes of Nia Jax on hold and the WWE would be stupid not to snap her up!

Jazzy Gabert

If you read my blog posts previously talking about the Mae Young Classic you will know that there was one women I was totally hooked on from the moment I first laid eyes on her and the fact I haven't stopped talking about her since has spoke volumes; the one and only Jazzy Gabert has been a huge talking point since the Mae Young Classic started and despite not making it past round one made a big enough impact to have fans around the world desperate to see more of her. Round one of the Mae Young classic as I have mentioned already wasn't the best and we only really got a few matches that really stood out in personal opinion and one of those matches came from the first show seeing NXT talent Abby Laith take on Germany's  Jazzy Gabert. I wasn't too aware of Jazzy before this tournament only seeing very very little of her work but her look alone was enough for me to gain a massive interest and when she stepped in the ring I was completely hooked. She owns a completely different look to any women currently on the roster and despite Laith being so massively talented I could not keep my eyes off Jazzy. Towering over her opponent Jazzy said everything she needed to say through her eyes. You could see looking at her just how much this tournament meant to her and how desperate she was to get the win. Her intensity was like no other and it had me completely fixated on her. The in ring work of Jazzy also had me very impressed, yet again, she brought something different not only from the women in the tournament but the women in the WWE as a whole right now. Like I said, she didn't make it past round one but I and so many others have not stopped talking about her since the tournament started and there really is no reason why the WWE shouldn't sign her. She got massively over with the fans, she has a completely unique look, and her ring work is amazing not to mention the space and potential there for some serious character development. She's someone I'm super excited about seeing in the future!

Tessa Blanchard

Keeping on the topic of women eliminated in round one Tessa Blanchard is up next and I'm sure you were all expecting her to feature in this post. I've mentioned what feels like a millions times that Tessa was my original favourite for the win when it came to the Mae Young Classic. In a blog post last month before the tournament even started I wrote that Tessa was the women I was backing the whole way and so when I found out she was facing Kairi Sane in the first round it was a bitter sweet moment. Both those women should have gone all the way to the end and knowing only one of them was going to make it past round one really didn't sit well with me and I knew for a fact Blanchard was not going to be getting the win against Sane. The two did however put on one of my favourite matches of the entire tournament and in that one match alone Tessa proved exactly why that shouldn't be the last time we see her inside a WWE ring. Coming from a family of professional wrestlers Tessa knows exactly what sh needs to do to make it far in this industry and over the past couple of years she has been doing everything to do just that. Amazingly talented, I've mentioned in previous posts that she has competed in a number of brilliant matches I have truly enjoyed including a top singles match against boyfriend Ricochet. At only twenty two Tessa was one of the youngest women in this tournament but her lack of experience was nowhere near on show and was an early favourite for many from the very start. I honestly do feel as though that within just a couple of years time Tessa could so easily be working as one of the best female pro wrestlers in the world competing in some of the best matches we have all seen from the divison. She has exactly what it takes to become the face of the women's divison in the future and if you throw her into matches against the likes of Charlotte and Sasha Banks you really are going to see just why!

Shayna Baszler

Okay, I'm going to keep this one short because I have an entire blog post coming up where I talk about why I believe Shayna Baszler is about to take over the WWE which should be going up this Friday. Now, you guys know I've been totally obsessed with Shayna Baszler for the past year or so and over the last couple of months I've made that massively clear here on my blog and over on social media. She has featured in a number of different blog posts here including the list of five women I believed were going to be true standouts in the tournament and throughout has been mentioned in my reviews of the tournament. Throughout the Mae Young Classic despite picking up heavy criticism was without a shadow of a doubt one of the biggest standout stars. She may not have competed in the longest matches or been as impressive in the ring as some of the names we have already touched on today but she made a damn impact. Stepping in the ring against every single opponent she looked like an unstoppable beast! Again, a different look and bringing something different to the table Shayna felt like the Brock Lesnar of the tournament and I for one loved watching her. She brought the intensity, she brought the all fight feel and her character work was honestly brilliant. She was a standout heel who everyone despised and it was brilliant. Her lack of respect for the women she competed against and her brutality was amazing to watch and added to the reasons why the WWE must sign her. She brings something new to the divison and its exciting. Shayna Baszler is what the WWE women's divison needs!

Mercedes Martinez

In a recent blog post I mentioned how important it is that the WWE start welcoming veteran female wrestlers to its women's divison. This was something that was massively brought to my attention watching the Mae Young Classic. I realised that the likes of Serena Deeb and Mercedes Martinez were important and while I would loved to have mentioned both these women today Mercedes is the women I'm leaning more towards today. I've been a fan of Mercedes for a long time, watching her compete against a number of brilliant female wrestlers from around the world and I was delighted when I learnt that she was apart of the Mae Young Classic. Throughout the tournament Mercedes had an amazing performance. She was the veteran, the experienced one and the women really made us feel just how important this tournament was to her in particular. She didn't get to compete in the longest matches of the tournament but her match up against Shayna Baszler really did show us just what she brings to the table and the other matches added to that gave the world a brilliant insight to Mercedes Martinez. Another strong character this is a women that knows who she is in the ring. Her character just oozes and you can't help but feel some way about her. She knows what it takes to make a perfect heel and its what she did. Just like the likes of the Miz and Pete Dunne with Mercedes you can accept she is a fantastic in ring performer but liking her is a whole different thing. She's the bitch we all despise but love to watch in the ring. She brings experience, culture, and a vibe that is totally missing from the women's divison in the WWE right now. I would love to see her signed and apart of the divison more than anyone on this list. She has been working her but off for years and its about time Mercedes Martinez made her impact in the WWE.

Candice LeRae

 And finally, finishing off today's blog post is the one and only Candice LeRae. In the build up to the Mae Young Classic Candice was without a shadow of a doubt one of the fan favorites. Wrestling for several years Candice is a veteran that knows this industry inside out and it shows. Throughout the years she has competed against some of the best wrestlers around the world male and female and alone the way has picked up a massive following. Her loyal fans have stuck behind her throughout the years and showed a passion towards her throughout this tournament more than any other competitor. She's just so damn likable! Her character work is nothing crazy and she doesn't bring something massively different to the table in terms of character but what she does in that ring is something no one can touch and fault. Candice knows what she is doing and could get a good match out of a cardboard box. Her skills is like no other I could honestly watch her compete all day long! It's always surprised me that the WWE haven't snapped her up a long time before. She has everything it takes to be not only apart of the women's divison but the face of it. Her heart, passion, talent and following makes her big star name and if you gave her the time and the spotlight Candice would shine better than anyone. She could have had a better showing in the tournament and I was surprised to not see her in the finals against Kairi Sane (that match would have been wrestling magic) but she remained a talking point and fans including myself got very excited at the prospect of her working alongside her husband Johnny Gargano in NXT in the very near future. She's one of the women that I'm most confident the WWE will sign and the company would be beyond stupid not to! The fans have been waiting for her arrival in the WWE and now most certainly is her time.

And that is my list! There were so many other names I wanted to mention including the likes of Kay Lee Rae, Santana Garrett and Rachel Evers to name just a few but I wanted to keep this to a minim of ten however I'm sure I'll be talking about these women very soon in up and coming blog posts. For now, any recent blog posts will be linked bellow including my Mae Young Classic final review and finally, you can let me know what you thought of the tournament an who you believe the WWE should sign by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

This weeks Smackdown LIVE Highlights
5 Reasons Why Shayna Baszler is about to take over the WWE
Last Week in Wrestling
5 Ways the WWE Can Save Bray Wyatt
5 Superstars Smackdown LIVE are Failing

Comments

Popular Posts