Best Round 2 Mae Young Classic Matches

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and having a great week so far! So this past Monday the WWE released the next four episodes of the Mae Young Classic which saw round two, the quater finals and the semi finals take place and boy were we treated to some amazing wrestling. It was over a week ago that we saw round one uploaded to the WWE network and throughout the past seven days I have uploaded a couple of blog posts talking about the tournament. I've mentioned how much I enjoyed the first round and felt it was an amazing way to introduce some brilliant talent set to take the future of the WWE by storm. I did however also touch on the fact that I was a little disappointed with some of the performances and actually was hoping for a lot more. With that being said round two and onward has seen some truly outstanding wrestling. The matches have so clearly been far far better with more intensity, longer bouts, more character development, storytelling and general better performances I found that these four recent episodes really have won me over and totally saved this tournament making it a real standout of the year. Talking of standouts, today we are going to be taking a look back through round two as I count down the top five matches of Mae Young Classic round two. I do have a lot of content coming up surrounding the Mae Young classic I've just struggled to fit it all in in the space that I have so if some of these posts are still going up later on in the week moving over to next week then just keep that in mind. I've been so massively excited and entertained by the tournament that I just have so much to say and I'm going to try my best to fit in as much as possible! Okay, so with that being said lets crack on with things and jump into the post! Just a heads up, any recent blog post will be linked bellow including my list of the best matches of the Mae Young Classic round one and you can let me know what you thought of the tournament by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

Shayna Baszler vs Mia Yim

We kick start today's blog post off with a match that I really did love. In the build up to Shayna Baszler vs Mia Yim I had mixed feelings. A huge fan of both these women I loved them for the individual talents and skills they have and bring to this tournament and it was hard to pick just one out of the two to back. I knew this was going to be a standout match however, regardless of the end result. Both these women are massively experienced in the area's they are strongest in and that really did show throughout this match. In the first round of the tournament Mia most certainly had the better performance when she took on Sarah Logan in the first episode in what I noted in a previous blog post to be one of the best matches of round one. Mia has been wrestling for several years and therefore brought a lot of experience to this tournament and it's been amazing seeing her given the opportunity to showcase he skill and talent to such a big audience. The past couple of weeks in fact really have reminded me just how much of a strong in ring talent she is and while she may not have reached the finals of the tournament she sure has earned a spot as part of the WWE women's divison. Shayna on the other hand has brought something completely different to this tournament. An early favourite of mine I've made it clear that she is someone I'm totally obsessed with and while she didn't take part in a standout match of round one she has been the one women to make the biggest impact throughout the entire tournament. She's brought character, passion and got a huge reaction out of the fans.She's the head bitch and the one women in this tournament who really does come across like a monster heel that would totally beat your ass and laugh about it while she does it. The match between Baszler and Yim was always going to be a standout and I honestly was expecting the best and it's what I got. The pair worked amazingly well together and I felt their chemistry was far far stronger than what we had seen between the two and their first round opponents. The match was intense and both women brought the fight. Throughout it was pretty even with both Shayna and Mia getting in a lot of offence and it was clear the pair knew each other very well. Mia most certainly was the better wrestler and was able to really push Shayna getting a good wrestling match out of her in the end. The intensity, the skill, the chemistry and the heart in this match all contributed to this being one of the standouts of round two and it just had to make the list. I hope we get to see more of Mia Yim inside a WWE ring in the near future and as for Shayna, that women knows how to make an impact and she sure did that throughout this match.

Rachel Evers vs Abbey Laith
The first match of round two really did set the bar and put every single women on notice making sure they all in the back knew it was time to up their game. Round one saw at least five standout matches an as I have said before I really did enjoy what we got there, however, the difference between what we saw in round one and what we got in round two is so evident and within seconds of round two going up it was clear that we were in for much stronger, more intense and better matches the second time round which was totally to be expected. The first of round two saw Rachel Evers take on Abbey Laith and I have to admit that before hand I wasn't too excited for this match and I wasn't expecting to be anything standout but I honestly could not have been more wrong. I don't actually know all too much about Rachel Evers and I haven't seen much of her work over the years and so again I haven't been sure as to what to expect from her; during round one I wasn't left too impressed after her performance. Okay, so she fitted in a couple of really good spots and she showed she clearly had it in her to put on a brilliant match but I wasn't the most impressed. As for Abbey, I've always been a huge fan of her work and I loved what we saw from her during round one. When the two collided in one of the most recent episodes I never expected it to be half as good as what it actually was. The pair just clicked and the longer the match went on the better it got and the more unpredictable and I was left totally hooked. They pushed each other to their limits and we got to see so much more of Rachel Evers to the point where I felt as though I had become her biggest fan and since wanted to learn and watch much much more of her work. The two women worked so well together with their move sets and styles complimenting each other completely. The crowd were into the action, the match had a good flow and was a fun, intense match I really really enjoyed watching. Did the right women win? One hundred percent but Rachel did make a big impact and I loo forward to seeing more of her in the future.

Piper Niven Vs Serena Deeb

Again, this was a match I wasn't expecting great things from. A big fan of Piper Niven I was glad to see her doing so well in the tournament and getting such a positive reaction, however, I've never been hooked on Serena Deeb and her work and I was uncertain as to how well the two women would work together. Yet again I was proven wrong and actually I really enjoyed what we saw go down between the two. As soon as the pair were both in the ring it was clear that there was a massive size difference with piper towering over Serena and of course much larger. Throughout the match Piper showcased her dominance and made it clear she was not going to go easy on the former straight edge society member. They really did have great chemistry and you could see that Serena worked and looked far better working alongside Piper then she did her previous opponent Vanessa Borne. Despite Piper's size advantage Serena was able to shine and really did fit in some great offence. Her experience shone through really taking it to Scottish star however, in the end Piper was just too big and too good for Serena who eventually fell missing out on the next round of the tournament. I have a couple of blog posts coming up where I talk about Piper in more detail because honestly she really has been making a huge impact. Throughout the tournament she broke down barriers proving so much and setting herself up for an amazing career. Her move set and skill is something you have to be amazed and impressed by and I cannot wait to see more of her, the WWE would be stupid not to snap her up and get working as part of their women's divison.

Bianca Blair vs Kairi Sane

If you told me this time last week that Bianca Blair vs Kairi Sane would be listed as one of my favourite matches of the Mae Young Classic I would not have believed you in the slightest. Both these women over the past couple of weeks have been standing out for their own  individual reasons however, Kairi is simple on a whole other level in comparison to Bianca and before the pair had collided in this tournament I never at this stage in their careers would have believed they would have been able to put on a really good match. Now, this was not the match of the tournament and there have been better throughout the eight shows but when looking at round two this really was in my opinion one of the best and I had to mention it in today's blog post. As I said, I already had kinda ruled this match out. I knew Kairi was going to get the win and was totally expecting her to dominate this match and Bianca with Blair getting a little bit of action however, they both worked so so well together and despite the inexperience from Bianca we actually got a really impressive and entertaining match up. It's clear that Kairi has a lot more experience than  Bianca but that didn't change the fact that Bianca was going to go out there and put on the fight of her life. She didn't show any signs she was nervous or intimidated by Kairi and her confidence shined through better than anyone. She walked into this match as though she knew she was going to get the win and her confidence didn't fade what so ever throughout the match. She stayed focused and brought so much character and intensity  but also a lot of wrestling that really impressed. I had my eyes on her the entire time and while she didn't get the win she left everyone excited about her amazing future!

 Rhea Ripley vs Dakota Kai 

And finally a match again I wasn't expecting to talk about but one that I really really really enjoyed. The first round matches for Rhea Ripley and Dakota Kai kind of had the same effect. They both were impressive but the match were not the strongest, they both felt as though they had only dipped their toe in the water and it was clear they both had a lot more in them and were so capable of putting on a much stronger and better match. When it was announced the two would be colliding in round two I was really excited. I wasn't expecting this to be the best match of the night but here we had two
underdogs in this tournament that had so much potential and had everything in them to really give us an amazing match and it's what they did. If they had only another extra five minuets this match I'm sure would have been spoken about a lot more but what we got I enjoyed massively and left me wanting to see a lot more from both women,. Rhea is someone I honestly knew nothing about heading into this tournament but come the end of it I really do want to see a lot more from her and I hope the WWE plan on giving her a contract in the near future. You look at her and you just have to be excited. She shows so much potential and you can just tell that with more training and character development she could be really really impressive. Rhea and Dakota worked amazingly well together and their chemistry was clear. You felt how much this tournament meant to both these women and their performances were stronger than what we got from them in round one. Rhea showed her dominance and power house vibe while Dakota showed her skill and speed and together they created a real standout match I wish had lasted longer.

And that is my list! Throughout the week I have several more posts coming up focusing on the Mae Young Classic so keep an eye out for those over the next few days some however may be a little delayed! For now any recent blog post will be linked bellow including my list of the best matches of the Mae Young Classic round one and you can let me know what you thought of the tournament by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
Last Week in Wrestling
Best Mae Young Classic Matches From Round 1

Comments

Popular Posts