This weeks Smackdown LIVE Highlights

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and having at least a decent week! I've managed to once again find myself a little unwell due to caring for my mum who came down with the flu after coming out of hospital so I woke up this morning not a happy bunny at all. Saying that, I'm back today, trying to stay focused and determined and still wanting to make sure I upload as much as I can this week. Today, we hit the middle point of the week and I think its time to go over this weeks episode of Smackdown LIVE. Usually, what I have started doing is uploading my Monday night RAW and Smackdown LIVE highlights on a Wednesday with both reviews merged into one but this week things are a little different as I only focus on the blue brand. This isn't because I enjoyed one show over the other or anything like that but with the No Mercy pay per view airing this up and coming Sunday on the Friday I have a full predictions post for that show where I will be running over this weeks episode of RAW and so I don 't want to run through the same points and repeat myself time and time again. Things will however return to normal next week with next Wednesday having my RAW and Smackdown LIVE highlights air. A lot happened on this weeks show so there is plenty to talk about! I will of course be live tweeting throughout No Mercy on Sunday, I've been making sure to get enough sleep in all week so my body is ready for the show As always, any recent blog post will be linked bellow including last weeks RAW and Smackdown LIVE highlights. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of this weeks Smackdown LIVE and Monday night RAW by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria. 


Shane McMahon keeps things Short and Simple 

Last weeks episode of Smackdown LIVE was a crazy one to say the least; three championship matches, must see segments and a confrontation between Kevin Owens and Vince McMahon no one wanted to miss out on. With that very segment closing the show everyone in the wrestling world was left both totally stunned and completely entertained as Kevin Owens took things way too far yet again attacking Vince McMahon leaving the chairmen barley able to walk backstage and busted open. Personally, I really really enjoyed what we saw. I've liked the feud between Shane and Kevin but it's felt very very similar to what we saw nearer to the start of the year between Shane and AJ Styles, what we got last week between Kevin and Vince changed that up. This is a feud that already felt very personal but Kevin actions took things to a whole new level and gave this story the boost it needed and I know I can at least say I'm far far more interested in the whole thing. This weeks show kick started with Shane who had a firm yet basic and simple response to what happened the previous week. He touched on the fact he and his father haven't always got along and had their moments but the fact of the matter is he is he's father and Shane damn well loves him. Owens once again crossed the line with Shane having to sit at home with his children and watch with them as their grandfather was brutally attacked by in is own words a "coward". Again, totally satisfied. It felt very real, it was intense and we could both see and feel Shane's emotion and passion. I liked the fact there was no interference from Owens and the promo made me even more excited and interested in their up and coming hell in a cell match, it will be interesting seeing where the story goes from here.

Lets not Knock Aiden English 

Honestly, there was so much I wanted to talk about in today's blog post and even though I also wanted to keep today's very short and simple (a little like Shane's promo) there was one thing I had to mention, one superstar I had to talk about today, Aiden English. In the past I have written about English both here on my blog and over on social media a handful of times. Originally kick starting his NXT career as a singles competitor I had mixed opinions and feeling. It was clear from the very start that his character was something that worked in NXT but had no chance of surviving up on the main roster and would need serious attention in order to do so. His best work by far came from his alliance with Simon Gotch creating the Vaudevillians a couple of years back. Their NXT Tag team Championship reign was strong and we all fell in love with them. However, as I feared, their character just didn't work on the bigger stage and with Simon now gone the WWE have taken a few steps back and thrown English right back into his old position. It's been a real rough ride for English but recently he's actually been a pretty consistent feature on Smackdown LIVE. He's picked up a couple of victories over Sami Zayn which while I haven't been very happy about it has given Aiden some momentum and made him some kind of talking point. On this weeks show he went one on one with Randy Orton once again and while it wasn't anywhere near a match of the year candidate I have to say I was at least entertained. Simon had a strong showing despite not getting the win and he again got people talking. Now, i'm not sitting here trying to say that Aiden English should be pushed as the next big thing but what I am saying is lets just cut him a little bit of slack. He really does get some stick and the fact is, he's a pretty damn good in ring performer. I'm so glad the WWE are giving him more TV time and more time to show what he can do in the ring and even if he never gets pushed to the stars I would be very satisfied with him working this strong matches here and there where he really proves himself to be more than just a singing character.

The Queen is back and she wants her throne

I've said it a million times before but the WWE women's divison is hot! There is now so much talent both on RAW and Smackdown LIVE and down in NXT. However, as I have also said a million times already I haven't been too impressed with the work from the divison as a whole. Over on S Smackdown LIVE I've always had positive things to say but more recently I just haven't been feeling i and I haven't had those positive thins to say. Interesting also how Charlotte has been missing the past couple of weeks, taking time away to stay with her father. I've breifely touched on the fact I haven't been too impressed with how the WWE have used Charlotte since her arrival on the blue brand  but last night the former RAW women's champion made her return to Smackdown LIVE and honestly it was brilliant to see. I'm a big Charlotte fan and I've been wanting to see more from her while on the blue brand for a while and with her back in action it looks as though finally she is set to make her way back to the top and impress everyone the way she did while over on Monday night RAW. Mid way through the show last night Charlotte came down to the ring to update everyone on her fathers condition but also thank the WWE universe for their support throughout the difficult past month or so. The whole thing was very real and genuine and I liked it. She was however interrupted by the current Smackdown LIVE women's champion who wanted spend this time honoring herself. Natalya and Charlotte have a natural connection.  We've seen some brilliant matches between the two dating back from NXT and I always enjoy watching them share the ring. The segment did develop when Naomi, Tamina and Becky Lynch also came down to the ring demanding a title shot and eventually Daniel Bryan would make an appearance announcing that the nights main event would see these four women challenge to become the new number one contender with the winner facing Natalya for the Smackdown LIVE women's championship at Hell in a Cell next month.
The match itself was decent. I was very sleepy when watching and I did turn off all social media by that time because I knew I was close to dropping off to sleep. I did however like the main event, I enjoyed and it I felt as though every women had a strong showing. I was of course over the moon to see Charlotte get the win, not surprised but very happy with the result. The queen is officially back and ready to take her thrown back. I'm excited for this build up but honestly cannot wait for Charlotte vs Natalay next month.

US Championship picture heats up

The US Championship picture is something that I have actually had a lot of interest in over the past couple of years. The title has felt a lot more important and the superstars to hold it have also felt like a big big deal and brought a lot to the championship. Right now, current champ AJ Styles is far from short of challengers, both Baron Corbin and Tye Dillinger have been going back and forth wanting a shot at the championship and with Tye losing his title match last week it was Corbins turn, however, things didn't go quite to plan. Before the match could even kick start Dillinger was out attacking Corbin meaning the championship bout between Baron and Styles never actually happened. In  all honesty I wasn't too happy with the result. The little segment ended with Corbin tapping out anyway and I just felt as though overall Corbin was made to look very weak and I didn't like it all. I know this is probably leading towards a triple threat between the three for the US Title probably at No mercy but yeah... being a Corbin fan I wasn't very happy with what we got here. On the flip side however,. I also love Tye Dillinger and I'm super happy that he has finally got himself involved in something that works and allows him to show just how talented he really is as an in ring performer. I do also feel as though if these guys do clash in a triple threat we could so easily have a brilliant match go down... well... or a super messy one that doesn't work at all!

Conclusion 

Personally, I liked the show this week, I liked it a lot. Everything was place right, it all made sense and I enjoyed most segments. It was really really nice seeing Rusev get some momentum and it's
going to be interesting seeing what goes down between him and Orton in the coming weeks, they both look to be out to prove themselves and have a point to prove and with that in mind I really do think this could be an interesting little feud. I don't want to see things go too over the top but I do think the match could be strong once they past ten seconds. I would like to see more tag team work next week and more of the likes of Sami Zayn and Mike Kanellis in the weeks to come. But overall I'm very satisfied and I personally really enjoyed this weeks episode of Smackdown LIVE.
I will of course be live tweeting throughout No Mercy on Sunday, I've been making sure to get enough sleep in all week so my body is ready for the show As always, any recent blog post will be linked bellow including last weeks RAW and Smackdown LIVE highlights. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of this weeks Smackdown LIVE and Monday night RAW by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria. 

Recent Blog Posts: 
5 Reasons Why Shayna Baszler is about to take over the WWE
Last Week in Wrestling
5 Superstars Smackdown LIVE are Failing
What I really thought of the WWE Mae Young Classic
This weeks RAW and Smackdown LIVE Highlights
5 Ways the WWE Can Save Bray Wyatt

Comments

Popular Posts