Five Ways the WWE Can Save WWE Championship Scene

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and have had an awesome start to the week as per usual. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, this week things are a little all over the place. I've had the most stressful weekend and honestly mentally I'm not in the best of places so I'm making sure to take some time out to put self-care first and get myself back in a better position. That does mean that this week there may be fewer posts than usual and I may not be live tweeting throughout WWE shows this week, however, things will be going back to normal next Monday for sure. Anyway, focusing on today, I have a blog post for you I've wanted to get done for a while now but just haven't' really had the time or motivation to take notes, sit down and really get typing, so I thought while I have some quite time why not take some time out to relax and write about a topic I'm really passionate about; the Smackdown LIVE main event scene/ WWE championship Picture. If you've read some of my reviews for SD Live you would have seen me complain about this issue for what feels like forever. While I remain a stronger Smackdown LIVE fan than Monday night RAW one problem I do have with the blue brand is the WWE Championship picture. They may not have names such as Brock Lesnar, Roman Reigns or Seth Rollins on their roster but the blue brand is full of amazing talent waiting for an opportunity, however, it's something the WWE keep failing. In today's blog post I'm going to listing five different ways the WWE can save the Smackdown Live main event scene. As always, any recent blog posts will be linked below including my WWE TLC review and yesterdays last week in wrestling article. Finally, you can have your say on the topic and let me know what you think by leaving a comment below or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

Have Jinder Mahal Drop the Title

Okay, so if you have been following me for the past few months you will most certainly remember me sitting here telling you all that I was over the moon in regards to Jinder Mahal surprising us all and becoming the WWE Champion. I remember the hype around this match as well joked about Jinder being champion and the rumors surrounding it but imagining that actually happening just seemed so random and far-fetched. However, he of course was soon crowned WWE champion and here we are. I personally tried to jump on board of this from the start. I liked the idea of someone like Jinder getting a random big push and while the WWE should have spent some time building up his momentum and easing him into the championship picture he had potential. His ring work isn't the best in the world but his character is one the WWE could so easily work on and turn into something interesting and entertaining and of course make work in the WWE Championship picture. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. There were parts I personally liked and I can still see potential here and there but the fact of the matter is this is something that failed. There's a lack of interest in the WWE title frame, Jinder's feuds with both Shinsuke Nakamura and Randy Orton have done nothing for him or those two stars and we don't sit here months down the line believing Jinder is a better champion than he was at the start. He hasn't had that big match that makes me believe he's top star and I now have joined the majority of the WWE universe in just wanting to see a bigger name that feels like a bigger deal and a real WWE champion. If you want to improve the main event picture having Jinder drop the title is for the best. While he doesn't need to go back to being a jobber its the best move. I'd love to see him continue getting a push but put into a programme that actually works, goes down well with fans and is a better fit for Mahal.

The Champ that runs the Camp

If we take a look back at the past year and who we have seen as WWE champion one thins is made perfectly clear, AJ Styles has been the best champ throughout the past twelve months and in fact one of the best WWE Champions in years. His heel work was fantastic and being so majorly over with the fans meant his baby face run had made perfect sense and gone down a treat. For nearly two years AJ Styles has been running the WWE in terms of popularity, quality matches, feuds and even promos/segments. Since arriving int he WWE he's simply been phenomenal and when we think about how the WWE can improve the Smackdown LIVE main event scene you have to believe that putting the WWE Championship match on Styles is the best option. He gave life back to the United States championship, he's Smackdown LIVE's biggest star and one of the most over and popular stars in the WWE today. He's previous championship run was fantastic as he competed in quality matches against a number of stars and honestly, having him as champion once again is the next best step in saving the scene. He straight away makes things feel bigger and more important. There's a bigger attraction to the main event picture and anyone stepping in the ring with him feels as though they are getting a big opportunity which isn't something we get right now. If Tye Dillinger was to go one on one with Jinder Mahal next week we wouldn't care. It wouldn't feel as though Tye was being given the chance to really stand out and regardless of the end result we wouldn't feel as though he was being elevated in any way. While if he was to get a title shot against Styles it's going to come across as though Tye just had a big time match and will push him up the ladder just like it did when the two worked a match for the US title. Styles is the guy that makes other talents look good while only pushing himself up even high also. The potential matches Styles could have as WWE champion will save the picture alone. Sami Zayn, Bobby Roode, and of course Shinsuke Nakamura are all dream matches that could work so so well.

Main Event Wrestlemania 

The next point I'm going to be addressing is actually a pretty important one. The fact of the matter is, is you can put the WWE Championship on the biggest star in WWE history but if they aren't being booked and used like a top star, like a champion then we ain't going to get very far. Roman Reigns has main event Wrestlemania for what feels like forever and as a result, he does indeed feel like a big star. Of course, other factors contribute to that but if you're putting him in the main event of the biggest wrestling event of the year he, of course, is going to feel like a major deal. The same can be said for championships. The WWE title was not defended in the main event of last years Wrestlemania event despite Randy Orton winning the Royal Rumble to go on to face Bray Wyatt for the WWE Championship at Mania. Now, for me, whoever wins the Rumble should go on to main event WrestleMania, it's just what happens to happen in mind and the fact we didn't get that last year really did irritate me as I'm sure many of you will remember from earlier on in the year. If we want to see things change for the guys over on Smackdown LIVE we need to see them main event next years Wrestlemania. I understand RAW is the flagship show but the blue brand needs to feel equal, it needs to feel just as important and the WWE Championship needs to feel like the biggest and most important championship in the WWE because it is, in order to do that it has to be defended at Wrestlemania. Now, my personal favorite in terms of Wrestlemania main events for next year has got to be Styles vs Nakamura and as we've already touched on today this is a dream match, something we all want to see and something the WWE would be stupid not to give fans. The Smackdown LIVE crew need the main event spot at Mania and these two stars are the perfect fit.

Superstar shakeup

I know I said that Smackdown LIVE have amazing talent already and they really do, the likes of Bobby Roode, AJ Styles, Randy Orton, Kevin Owens, and Shinsuke Nakamura give the blue brand exactly what needs, star quality and a main event feel but it's clear the roster is in need of filling up a little more. We need more names added, bigger stars and more depth added to the main event scene of Smackdown LIVE. Sure we have so much talent already on the roster but the fact we are getting Baron Corbin defend his US Titlte against Sin Cara is a big enough indication to me that we need more and new stars added to the Smackdown LIVE roster. A superstar shakeup is something I've spoken about on my blog a lot in the past. I wasn't the biggest fan of the last one and the decisions made there but a new one is much needed in the lead up to the start of the new. Considering bringing up a couple more names from NXT and moving stars from RAW and Smackdown LIVE around is something I really do think the blue brand, in particular, would really benefit from. Stars such as Seth Rollins and Braun Strowman would benefit massively from being sent to Smackdown LIVE and those are names the roster there would really benefit from also. These are the types of stars that could really shake things up on Smackdown and contribute to saving the WWE Championship picture greatly.

Pay per view Main events

And finally, one that really does tie in with what I said about main eventing Wrestlemania and that's main eventing actual pay per views. This again is something that really does irritate me. I understand the WWE championship won't be defended at every Smackdown LIVE pay per view main event but in my mind, it should at least be main eventing the majority. Major events such as Hell in a Cell, for example, we should be seeing the WWE Championship match close the show and it should be defended inside hell in a cell, it's really the whole point of the pay per view, why Jinder Mahal didn't defend the title inside hell in a cell last month I have no idea. It made sense considering it meant no one could interfere in the match like previous title defenses by the current champ yet the slot was given to Shane and Owens. Yes, that was an epic main event and one of my personal favorite matches of the year as a whole but the fact remains, this was a pretty big event and the title should have been defended in the main event in this stipulation match. It's those little things that really do change it up and what matter. We need to feel as though the championship means something, it's important and the stars competing for it, the match stipulations and the place on the card are all so important.


And there we have it! That is my list. While I was crazy tired writing this post I had a lot of fun and as I'm sure you can tell this is a topic I'm really passionate about at the moment!As always, any recent blog posts will be linked below including my WWE TLC review and yesterdays last week in wrestling article. Finally, you can have your say on the topic and let me know what you think by leaving a comment below or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
Last Week in Wrestling
5 Scariest WWE Superstars
What I Really thought of: Ultima Lucha Tres
5 WWE Superstars Giving us Serious Halloween Inspiration

Comments

Popular Posts