What I Really thought of: Ultima Lucha Tres

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and of course have had an awesome week! So, we have reached near the end of yet another month so I thought it was time to take a look back at one of my favorite events of the past month, Ultima Lucha Tres. Now, I did previously mention that on the last Thursday of every month I would be uploading a review of the past month in  NXT and I am still planning on  doing that but instead of uploading it this Thursday that post will go up next Tuesday instead, for now, however, we are going to be focusing on a show that I honestly have loved and a promotion I haven't written about enough at all, Lucha Underground. If you know me you know that I am the biggest Lucha Underground fan. I was a little late to the party but once I did tune in I was totally hooked and I have been ever since. There have been times I've struggled to keep up with all the wrestling the world has to offer right now but Lucha Underground is one that I have always tried to keep on top of as it really has become one of my favorite wrestling promotion of today. The past month has seen Lucha's biggest event take place as Ultima Lucha Tres took over and what a three week treat it was. Full of must-see matches, several match of the year candidates and twists and turns that has us all hooked from start to finish Ultimate Lucha Tres was a highlight wrestling event of the year and while there is always some kind of controversy surrounding Lucha Underground and the opinions are forever mixed this was an event every wrestling fan should check out without shadow of a doubt! In today's blog post I'm going to be reviewing Ultimate Lucha Tres running you through some of the best matches and moments of the event and giving my final thoughts on the entire thing. As always, any recent blog post will be linked below and of course, you can join the conversation and tell me what you thought of the shows by leaving a comment below or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge Lucha Underground mark. As I mentioned in the intro, I was pretty late to the party missing out on the majority of season one, however, once I did eventually tune into an episode I was hooked and I have been ever since. The promotion is completely different to anything else currently on the market and it is that that makes it stand out. It's unique vibe, however, is also what has made Lucha Underground so controversial. Wrestling fans either love it or hate it and it's become clear there isn't 't really an in-between. I, of course, love it! I love the drama, I love the quality of the wrestling, I love the venue, and the roster is stacked with phenomenal talent. It's the one show where week in and week out we are provided with top quality wrestling and throughout each season there have been a high number of matches I've considered to be some of the best I've ever seen. The female talent is on another level, the storylines are outrageous but extremely entertaining and the general vibe of Lucha Underground is completely new and different. Ultima Lucha is the biggest even in the promotion in October of this year the third of its kind took place and what an event it was. Every show was stacked, the card was fantastic and the wrestling and storylines were brilliant, to say the least! Let's take a look back at some of the standout matches and moments of that massive must-see wrestling event!

Standout Matches:

Killshot VS Dante Fox

One of the first matches of Ultima Lucha Tres that really stood out for me was the brutal encounter between Killshot and Dante Fox. This wrestling event was full of barbaric matches but this one was arguably one of the most barbaric if not the most. Dante Fox and Killshot went to war in the first part of Ultima Lucha Tres. It kick-started an epic event that lasted the course of three weeks and was able to remain a fan favorite and one of the best matches of the entire event. The two had fantastic chemistry and literally gave it all meaning that comes to the end of the match it felt as though there wasn't anymore the two could have done to make this any better. I grew up loving ECW and the crazy barbaric matches there and this reminded me of that time. The spots these two performed were extremely dangerous, well executed and had everyone in the temple and at home on their feet. From the barbed wire spot to the back body drop through the glass all the way to the running ring post moonsault, these two took it to the max and provided fans with a true must see match full of energy. There's was loads of blood, loads of intense moments and the guys put on a match full of plenty of amazing wrestling. This was a little different to many of the matches we saw throughout the event but it meant this was a true standout and if you haven't seen this it's for sure worth checking out especially if you're a fan of the more hardcore scene. 

 Johnny Mundo VS Prince Puma

This is a match that I will be talking about in more detail later on in the post but when talking about some of the best matches of Ultima Lucha Tres you just have to include Johnny Mundo vs Prince Puma. This was without a shadow of a doubt one of the best matches of the entire event and as I list my personal top three this just had to make the list. Not only was this one of my favourite matches of the past month but of the past year. As Mundo and Puma went toe to toe in a Career vs Title match the two provided fans with a must-see bout that for me was close to reaching the standard of Omega vs Okada. For me this had everything you want in a wrestling match; excellent story, a brilliant build up, so much on the line, fan interaction, and phenomenal wrestling. With Puma's career on the line, everyone was watching this on the edge of their seats. No one knew what was going to go down and the atmosphere in the temple was just insane! You could feel the energy burst through the TV screen. There was passion from the fans and the competitors and it was that that made this even better and an even bigger must see. We've seen a story build between these two for ages and the fact that the pair of them are both Lucha Underground royalty meant that this match had an amazing feel. They've both brought so much to the company and their performance on the night was simply amazing. They kept the story running, the close calls, run-ins, change of referee's and return made this huge and honestly one of the best matches of the entire year.

Fenix VS Marty the Moth Martinez (Hair vs Mask)

And finally, in my top three matches of Ultima Lucha Tres, we have Fenix vs Marty the Moth Martinez. Now, as I mentioned in the intro for this post I don't get to write about Lucha Underground enough. Throughout the past year and a half I haven't written about the promotion half as much as I would have liked to but I have spoken about it a lot to friends and you guys online and if you know me you know that the rivalry between Marty the moth Martinez and Fenix has been one of my top top favourites. Both have been favorite characters of mine for the past year and when I look at the Wrestling world as a whole these two talents remain two of my personal faves to this day. Both very different, both very unique and both bringing something very exciting and fun to the table how could you not love their rivalry and the two stars as individual talents. The story behind their Ultima Lucha Tres match was fantastic. I loved Mellisa Santos' involvement, I love Mariposa as a character and of course her involvement also in this feud was brilliant and all together it worked so well. Marty plays the creepy guy perfectly and his chemistry with both Fenix and Mellisa was so so strong and made this such a captivating story. The match itself was easily one of the best and yet again another highlight of match of the entire year. One of the more unpredictable matches of the night I was left totally glued to my screen throughout the entirety of this match. I loved the interference, Mariposa walking off, the brutality, the level of just how barbaric this match was and just how personal it felt also. It was the perfect all-around match. The story was told throughout and we had an amazing feel-good ending. Mariposa turning on her brother was a surprise twist I didn't see coming at all and it will be interesting seeing how much that is developed in season four. It was awesome seeing Fenix and Mellisa with smiles at the end and a brilliant perfect ending to a fantastic story. 

The women of Lucha Underground Prove a huge Point

There's no denying the fact that women's wrestling has skyrocketed over the past few years. A whole new movement has been made and women int he world of pro wrestling are finally being given the time, exposer and chance to showcase their skill and prove they are just as good and capable as the male talent. Women in the WWE have been changing the game with the four horsewomen raising the bar and setting the standards, however, Ultima Lucha Tres saw the women of Lucha Underground raise the bar and bring the women's evolution to brand new heights. Two women's matches took place during Ultima Lucha Tres and all delivered big time! Not to mention that both Mellisa Santos and Mariposa were both standouts also. Let's take a look back at some of those moments that really did see the female talent of Lucha Underground take center stage;
The first comes from Catrina and Ivelisse and honesty out of all the women's matches on the card this was the one I was most interested in but expected the least from. I haven't always been the biggest fan of what we've actually seen from Catrina in the ring throughout her career and so I wasn't expecting this to be anything special despite the fact she was going toe to toe with one of the best female wrestlers in the world today in my personal opinion. I was surprised however to see this was actually a pretty decent bout. The wrestling wasn't up there with what we saw from another match later in the event but it was barbaric, the two women had brilliant chemistry and the story behind this match is something that has been being told for a long long time. I loved the outside involvement and how that worked in  with another story being told, I loved how personal it felt, all round this was an entertaining, vicious, personal fight that showed just how far the women can take their matches and the fact they are more than capable of going just as brutal and extreme as the male talent.
The second women's match at Ultima Lucha saw Sexy Star take on Taya in yet another personal and intense bout. The only issue I had with this match is I wanted it to be longer. This was a much better, well put together and stronger wrestling match than the first but it too was brutal and barbaric with both women pushing the other to the max and showing the world just what women can do when they are given the opportunity to push the boundaries and work those more extreme matches. What I really liked was seeing Taya's performance in this match. We all know how talented Sexy Star is, she's competed in some fantastic matches over the years but Taya's has only really had those strong showings here and there, on this night she stood her ground, and while she didn't get the win her performance was fantastic. She was beyond confident, she pushed Sexy Star to the limit, took some harsh bumps and performed some brutal spots that looked brilliant. All round I massively entertained throughout this match and really really enjoyed what these girls put on.

Overall, the women of Lucha Underground impressed massively throughout Ultima Lucha Tres. From the interference moments to the actual matches, the women of this promotion killed it. They took this evolution to a new level and raised the bar for women's wrestling and what they can do in this industry.

Shocking Moments and Conclusion 

Shocking ending means goodbye to top Lucha Underground star

And finally, I, of course, have to talk about the biggest part of the show, those shocking closing moments. The Ultima Lucha Tres main event saw Johnny Mundo and Prince Puma go head to head one last time in a career vs title match. As we already touched on today this was one of the best matches of the entire event and one I'm sure I and many others will be talking about in future blog posts, articles, and videos but it's the moments after that really got everyone talking. After defeating Johnny Mundo to become the first ever two time Lucha Underground champion Prince Puma was forced to defend his title straight after against Pentagon Dark in a shocking twist, both their careers would be on the line. I hadn't read any spoilers or anything throughout Ultima Lucha and so I didn't know what to expect and of coming at all. I sat at my laptop in complete shock and totally hooked. The bout between the two had me on the edge of my seat as the two provided yet another excellent must see. As I was watching I was hoping to see an interference from Vampiro and that's exactly what we got. The commentator has a history training both men and we've seen the story develop between him and Pentagon Dark from the dawn of Lucha Underground and so with that in mind his involvement in this match costing Prince Puma both his title and his career it really tied together well. It was the perfect call, the perfect ending to a brilliant match, a brilliant story and a phenomenal Ultima Lucha.

Overall, I really did feel as though Ultima Lucha Tres was one of the best wrestling events of the year. I understand the promotion as a whole is very controversial and wrestling fans really do either love it or hate it but trust me when I say regardless of your personal opinions of Lucha Underground you should one hundred and ten percent check out the three shows that took place. Every match had me totally entertained and the event as a whole was a true highlight of the year in wrestling. As always I would love to know what you guys thought of Ultima Lucha so feel free to leave a comment below or drop me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog posts:
This weeks RAW and Smackdown LIVE Highlights
5 WWE Superstars Giving us Serious Halloween Inspiration
What I Really Thought of: WWE TLC 2017

Comments

Popular Posts