WWE Backlash 2018: Best Moments and Highlights

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and not only had a great weekend but are ready for the fresh new week. Now, as you all know, last night was, of course, the two thousand and eighteen WWE Backlash pay per view and what a night it was. Personally, I wasn't left very impressed with the end result. The show as a whole was pretty weak and come the end of the night I was left feeling as though there were plenty of mistakes made, weaker moments, and missed opportunities. Now, I have written a separate article for SteelChair discussing those Missed Opportunities and mistakes so keep an eye out for that! In today's blog post here, however, we are going to be looking on the more positive side of things as I count down five of the best moments of the night! This includes my personal favorite matches and the booking decisions I favored during the night! Now, I am easing myself back into Live Tweeting, me and my boyfriend are currently trying to get a sleeping pattern going and so there may be some weeks I don't live tweet but I will always post a review/highlights post for every major WWE show. I am also writing for several other websites now and so I may not be as frequent here but I will be posting links to all of my articles on both Twitter and Facebook! As always, any recent blog posts will be linked below and you can tell me what you thought of WWE Backlash by leaving a comment down below or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

A Strong Showing for the IC Championship

If I'm being honest, I wasn't too excited for the Backlash pay per view and contemplated missing out on the show, however, the opening match was most certainly enough to keep me around. With Seth Rollins defending his Intercontinental Championship against the Miz, the pair surprised many and put on what turned out to be one of the best matches of the entire night. I can honestly say I wasn't expecting all too much from this match. I was expecting it to possibly work out as one of the weaker bouts of the night however, Miz competed in what was one of his best matches in a long time and Rollins once again proved to be one of the best of the best. The action genuinely had you on the edge of your seat thanks to close calls and with Rollins injuring his knee it allowed Miz something to focus on and there were moments fans really believed Miz could just be escaping with the win. Now, while I would have loved to have seen Miz recapture the title this was a damn strong opening and I cannot complain about how things turned out and whats next for Rollins should be interesting and most certainly be entertaining while the Miz has not lost anything from this loss.

Momentum for Big Cass

Okay, so there is still some work to be done in regards to Big Cass. Since returning from injury he has been sporting a brand new singles push that really does have some great potential. On last nights show Cass went toe to toe with Daniel Bryan in what was a fairly predictable match. Now, sometimes predictable isn't the worse thing in the world and this time around I have to say that I believed everything did make sense. The match itself was a little weak but Cass did get the chance to once again showcase his dominance, what he does need is an opponent closer to his size with a similar style to really showcase even more of his skill however, I do have to say that he did at least have a decent showing at Backlash. He, of course, did not pick up the win which to be fair made sense considering no one expected to see him actually get the win over Bryan however, his attack on the former Smackdown LIVE general manager following the matchup was exactly what he needed. Cass had to turn things around, show his frustrations and send a message and that is exactly what he was able to do.

Carmella Retains

Yet another match that did happen to fall on the weaker end of the spectrum was the Smackdown LIVE women's championship matchup between Carmell and Charlotte. Now, I was really hoping for this one to stand out for the right reasons but unfortunately, that didn't quite happen. This was an important night for Carmella to really prove herself and prove she deserves to hold that title. Now, she of course as always bought a lot of character to this match which is something we can always commend her on, however, the match itself wasn't the best. There was potential here but for some reason, it just didn't work out. There were a few good spots and moments throughout the match and I liked the fact we genuinely couldn't tell who was going to get the win. The decision to keep the title on Mella in my personal opinion was the right one. I do love Charlotte and she makes for a great champion but something is needed and right now Carmella is doing a great job. Sure her in-ring work still needs to improve and we are still waiting for that breakout match, however, in terms of character work and feeling/coming across like a champion Carmella is owning it! She was able to capitalize on the injured knee of Charlotte surprising everyone and walking out still the Smackdown LIVE Women's champion.

It was all going so well... until the end

One of my personal favourite matches of the night saw Shinsuke Nakamura and AJ Styles battle it out for the WWE Championship. Now, I didn't pay much attention to the Greatest Royal Rumble simply because of how I felt towards the situation with the women's division and so for me the No DQ match last night between these two was my favourite of their rivalry so far. I loved the intensity, the general feel of the match and the action between them. Of course, I really didn't like the ending just like many others. This was a very important night and I did feel as though Nakamura really did need to walk out with the victory and the new WWE Champion, however, the feud will most certainly continue on for at least another month or two and seeing what goes down this week on Smackdown LIVE will be very interesting. When you put aside the end result the match itself was very strong and I have no complaints in terms of the wrestling and the bout itself.

The Main Event

Now, I have to say that I hated the decision to make Roman Reigns vs Samoa Joe the main event of this pay per view. No title, no strong build, nothing, it made zero sense to make this the main event on a card that had Shinsuke Nakamura vs AJ Styles. I have gone into greater detail about this in another article which will be up very soon so keep an eye out for that! However, the matchup between Joe and Reigns was pretty damn strong. By this point, I had grown tired and my personal lack of interest in the story didn't help at all, however, I did find myself enjoying the action and interested in the end result. Did the right person win? I wouldn't say so. I would love to see Reigns finally turn heel and in order to do that I do believe that the best move is having him on some kind of losing streak. He isn't going to benefit from this win while Joe most certainly would have!

And those really were the highlights of WWE Backlash. In my personal opinion, I don't think the show was strong at all. We did have some great matches but the overall feel wasn't great and I do believe there were plenty of mistakes and missed opportunities and once again I was left disappointed with the showing from the women's division. As always I would love to know what you guys thought so feel free to leave a comment below or tweet me over at @TezangiVictoria telling me what you honestly thought of WWE Backlash twenty eighteen.

Recent Blog Posts:
Top 10 NXT Takeover Matches Of All Time Part 1
10 Matches the 2018 WWE Superstar Shake Up Has Left Us Wanting (part 2)
WWE UK Tournament 2: Stars Who Must be Involved

Comments

Popular Posts