WWE Cruiserweight Classic Review: Week Three

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good. I'm back today with this weeks WWE Cruiserweight Classic Review and Reactions post for episode three. This week we had a very interesting show We had a couple of weaker matches but that final match turned out to be one of the strongest matches of the entire tournament so far. As usual I will be taking you back through every single one of these matches telling you what I thought of every single match and giving you in depth information about all four matches of the night.  Next weeks looks to be a very very exciting show with ICW star Noam Dar, Jack Gallagher, the second Sihra, and NXT superstars Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa all taking part. Come back here this time next week for my full review of that show. For now you can let me know what you thought of this weeks show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria. As usual any recent blog posts will be linked bellow and finally, you can let me know what you thought of this weeks Smackdown live by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Kick starting this weeks episode of the WWE Cruiserweight Classic was a match up I have been waiting to see from the moment the tournament started as fellow Britt, Zack Saber Jr took on Canada's very own, Tyson Dux. I have mentioned over the past couple of weeks or so that Zack Saber Jr is the man I am rooting for throughout the WWE Cruiserweight Classic. A fellow Britt and someone that I have been following and admiring for years Jr is someone that I just had to back and it appears he's also an all round fan favourite. Now, in a dream world I would love to see Zack and the one and only, Kota Ibushi in the finals but hey, that is a long long way away and so lets stick to what we saw during this weeks show. Tyson Dux is a man that really has been through a lot in his career and after bouncing back from a serious knee injury years back the Cruiserweight classic is where we see him return to the WWE and make an impact. He story did make him someone that I wanted to back and support but it also highlights a clear target and from the moment this match started, Zack worked on that previously injured knee testing to see if there were still any weaknesses there and making sure to exploit them. Most of you guys reading this I'm sure can agree that Zack Saber Jr is one of if not the best technical wrestler in the world today and in this match he really did prove that to be true. Sliding out of some of the tightest of locks Dux had put him and countering every single move his opponent had to offer Jr spent of the match in control using his technical skills to his advantage. However, Tyson did have the weight advantage and strong blows, submissions, and viscous suplex's gave him the upper hand during a crucial part of this match. During the early moments of this match we did see Dux attempt to out wrestle Zack Saber Jr but when he realised he was attempting the impossible he switched things up changing the pace and fitting in some much needed offense. Throughout most of the match we saw Zack work on the arms and wrists of Dux and it was all that hard work that came into play and a painful submission pushed Tyson to the edge being forced to tap out allowing Zack Saber Jr to advance.

I have briefly mentioned both here on my blog and over on twitter that I am a big big support of the Bollywood boys. Two brothers, both competing in the WWE Cruiserweight classic who I personally had never heard of until about a month ago but the moments I watches a couple of their backstage interviews I grew to absolutely love both these boys and last night the first brother was up with Harv Sihra facing Drew Gulak. Because I wasn't completely aware of these two and plenty of work I wasn't completely sure what to expect. I knew that Gulak was a clearly strong matt wrestler and was keen to bring something different to the table. As for Sihra I had no idea what to expect but with already making a good impression I sure was very excited to see what he was going to bring the table. Gulak did prove to be an early crowd favourite as a US representative it was to be expected. Gulak did go in for an early roll up witch quickly put Sihra on notice forcing him to change things up a little, very quickly. Talking of Sihra what was very interesting with him was his ability to take a basic submission hold and increase the pain by about a hundred. Gulak did feel like the dominate figure in this match. He had the size advantage and he used that to gain the upper hand throughout this match. Now, If I'm being honest this wasn't my favourite match of the night at all and it did feel like one of the weaker matches of the classic so far but thats not to say that this wasn't a good match at all. There was just some energy missing and I found it far more difficult to get into. In the end it was a dragon sleeper that forced Sihra to tap out.

The third match of the night saw the very young Anthony Bennett take on the very confident Tony Nese. Personally, I actually liked both of these stars. The both grabbed my attention very early on and while in most of these matches I have found it easy to back one man this was the one match I honestly did not know who to root for and to be fair that did make this a really fun and exciting match to watch. There was a very clear size and speed advantage for Nese but very early on in this match we also got to see his speed and agility witch just made him an early strong contender and challenge for Anthony Bennett who really did struggle in the early stages of this match. Bennett did have the crowd on his side witch he did use to to help him fine a fire inside of himself. However, I have to admit that for me this match was all about Tony Nese. He was the stand out of the match and one of the stand outs of the entire night. He knew what he had to do gain the upper hand and advantage, he knew how to punish Bennett and his confidence played a massive massive role. Throughout the entire night it was Tony Nese who made me feel like he wanted this most. In the later moments of this match we id get to see Bennett slowly start to turn things around for a while it did look as though he could be walking out the winner and advancing to round two. However, in the end it was Tony Nese who picked up the winner after a brutal cover and ending to this match.

The final match of the night was one that I'm sure most of you reading this were most excited about as Paul Mendoza took on former WWE superstar and fan favourite, the Brian Kendrick. Again, I have always been a pretty big fan of Brian Kendrick and so I was always going to be excited for this match. he was one of the men who really did make you believe that this cruiserweight classic meant everything to him and was seriously important to him both personally and for his career. The start of this matches aw these men prove to be very even in the ring. One another countering each others
moves, keeping the action at a fast pace and both popular with the crowd it made this a very exciting match very very early on. With one being one of the oldest men in the classic and one of the youngest men this was a very interesting match with both bringing something very different. Now I have to admit that my early favourite was Bryan Kendrick for all the obvious reasons but very very early on I began to change my mind massively and  Mendoza actually became someone I back greatly. What I loved about this match more than any other that we have seen in the classic so far was the sheer brutality that Brian Kendrick brought. He clearly was not messing around what so ever and his aggressive brought something completely different to the table that we just haven't seen over the past couple of weeks. His attitude also allowed him to adopt this heel role in the match witch appeared to be completely impossible at the start of the match but just like myself, the fans in the crowd became a very fond of Mendoza. His offence was strong, his agility was impressive and his attitude was great. There is no doubt that this was the match of the night and something completely different to what we had seen both on the night and throughout the entire tournament. While everyone had heard of Kendrick Mendoza made sure to do everything in his power to make sure people go and check him out and despite loosing this match last night by submission he is someone I want to see more of in the future.

This weeks cruiserweight classic was an interesting episode. We had a couple of weaker matches but that final match turned out to be one of the strongest matches of the entire tournament so far. Next weeks looks to be a very very exciting show with ICW star Noam Dar, Jack Gallagher, the second Sihra, and NXT superstars Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa all taking part. Come back here this time next week for my full review of that show. For now you can let me know what you thought of this weeks show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Social Media Links: 

Recent Blog Posts:

Comments

Popular Posts