RAW Review and Reactions

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good. Last week RAW came to us live from Chicago, one of my favourite WWE crowds. To my surprise last night was yet another really good episode of Monday night RAW. A couple of stupid, pointless matches that I struggled to have any attention on but all round a really good show. Match of the night for me was of course the hue Tag team championship match between the New Day and AJ Styles and Chris Jericho aka Y2AJ. With the crowd being as vocal as ever it just made the night even more fun to watch and in today's post I'm going to be recapping all over the action telling you what I thought of every single match, promo and segment that took place on last nights show. You probably noticed that I didn't live tweet last night and I'm so so sorry but I had some family issues at stupid o'clock that needed my attention but I promise this was a one off, I really did miss live tweeting last night. As always I will link bellow any recent blog post including last weeks RAW Review and my top ten Matches and Superstars of the month posts. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of last nights show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

After Vince, Stephanie, and The Undertaker all had something to say during last weeks Monday night RAW, last nights show kick started with Shane McMahon himself as the boy wonder shared he's current feelings and opinions on Wrestlemania, the Undertaker, and what he's father and sister have had to say. First of all let's talk crowd reactions; I honestly believe that wherever Shane O'Mac goes he's gonna send the arena absolutely crazy and the Chicago crowd last night were no difference as they gave him brilliant ovation. The theme of the promo really focused on respect. Shane told the WWE Universe that he respected the Undertaker greatly but focused he's words on he's father who he would verbally attack just as much as he's father had him the previous week. He once again brought up how Vince had lost touch with he's business (something we have all been saying for years). He went on to give us an insight as to what he will do with Monday night RAW when he gains ownership of Monday night RAW and I have to admit it sounds like a bloody dream, lets be honest. Shane mentioned how defeating the Undertaker at Wrestlemania was he's destiny and that is when we heard those dongs.... Wait.... excitement over. This was actually just Vince McMahon coming out to deliver another interesting promo. Now, to be honest I kinda liked Vince's performance last night. Like... a lot. The delivery was strong, I believed every word he said, and I was genuinely was watching this thinking "damn this guys a dick" and that is exactly what he wanted us to believe. Smashing a childhood picture of himself and Shane Vince continued to belittle he's son adding more and more fire to the belly of Shane. The closing moments of this segment saw Vince order security to remove Shane from the ring and from the building. Of course the boy wonder did not go peacefully and instead took out every single member of security sending a pretty clear message to he's father. I really liked this opening segment. I think it once again showed us all what this storyline is all about. The McMahon. The Undertaker ha d a brief mention and that was pretty much it. This story is nothing to do with the Undertaker, its all about the McMahon family and to be honest the WWE are creating a strong, gripping and entertaining story. The more work they do the more I anticipate this match. I liked Taker was used to show fear in Shane, they're using him very well and making he's role in this story very clear. For once I don't think I actually have anything bad to say about the opening segment.

The Intercontinental Champion was in action next and after two straight losses (one to the Big Show and the other to Dean Ambrose) Owens was out for some momentum as he went one on one with former NXT foe, Adrian Neville. These two have a lot of history, a lot of chemistry, and we have seen them put on fantastic matches in the past so a bout between these two is something I always look forward to seeing. Neville took control in the early stages of this match fighting for an early beating from Owens, Neville used he's speed advantage to gain control and keep the champ on he's toes. However, once Neville missed Owens when going over the top rope Owens was able to spot he's moment and send the English superstars charging into the steel steps changing the pace of this match and allowing him to regain some control of the action. It would be the speed and agility of Neville that would allow him to once again take one heck of a beating from Owens, including a brutal German suplex but he's resilience allowed him to wait for the perfect moment for him to pick up control again and would once again leave the champ on he's toes. With several phenomenal spots that got the crowed going crazy and beautiful red arrow to Kevin, Neville proved once and for all just how much of a gifted superstar he is and a true testimant to the WWE and the future of the company. A quick school boy ( I think it was) gave Owens a not so impressive win but it was what took place after this match that made this one of the best moments of the entire night. Constituting to beat down on Neville Owens was clearly out to send a message and to release some built up frustrations after he's previous losses last week. Just as Owens was going in for powerbomb onto the apron a very family theme hit as one of the most popular NXT Superstars in history came charging down to the ring attacking the IC Champ. Now, we all know the history between Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens and so the marking out that took place last night was unlike any other. We had not one but three former NXT Champions in a Monday night RAW ring completely owning it and giving us a glimpse into the future.  In my Royal Rumble Review I mentioned how badly I wanted to see Sami Zayn VS Kevin Owens at Wrestlemania and after last night it looks a though that could be exactly what we are getting. However, saying that. I wouldn't mind a triple threat between these three at Mania also, so what we see in the next week or so is going to be very interesting and a sure must see. I did not expect Zayn to make an appearance last night but it truly did make my night!

Brie Bella and Summer Rae went one on one next in what was a slightly predicable match but the fact that Summer Rae was once again booked for an actual match on RAW made me very happy and was enough for me to have full interest in what was going on. The match of course was very slow paced and we all really were only waiting for one thing; Lana and eventually the Russian beauty made her appearance allowing Summer to quickly get a role up victory over Brie, a former Divas champion, another one. After the match we saw Lana actually show some kind of wrestling ability for the first time since arriving on the scene when she used Brie's own finisher on her and to be honest I don't know about you guys but I thought she did a better job than Brie does... I mentioned in my RAW Predictions that I know a lot of you don't really like this feud and certainly don't want to see it on the Mania card but I don't know what everyone's problem is. Personally, I really like it. Lana is someone the WWE are clearly very high on and what better way to introduce her to the roster as an actual competitor than have her pick a fight with a former divas champion and one of the most popular women in the WWE? Yes, the feud makes no sense but it's something and I like it, I really do think some fans need to just calm down a little, sit down, wait, and watch and stop picking at everything because I don't really have anything bad to say about this at the moment.

After another eventful week last week, the Lunatic fringe Dean Ambrose came down to the ring to cut another very solid promo where he hyped he's Championship match against Triple H set to take place this Saturday at Roadblock. Threatening to hijack the WWE World Heavyweight
Championship and Wrestlemania he focused he's attentions on respect, a recurring theme throughout last nights show. After Hunter tried to to beat respect into Ambrose last week the lunatic fringe promised that it would be Triple H who would be forced to respect him and spoke about the type of champion he would be when he defeats Hunter this Saturday at Roadblock. The champion himself soon made an appearance himself warning Ambrose and the WWE Universe and promising that he will walk into Roadblock as champion and out as Champion. He also made sure to carry on talking about Roman Reigns and what he did to him a couple of weeks back on RAW. This segment really did what it had to do and that was get everyone excited for the Roadblock main event. But what it also did was once again make me really wish that this was the Mania main event feud instead of Triple H VS Roman Reigns. I'm still not sure how much good this feud is doing for Reigns but hey I'm loving it and I'm loving the fact that Ambrose is getting this main event attention that he truly deserves.

As announced in a backstage segment between Dolph Ziggler and Stephanie McMahon earlier on in the night the show off was set to take on three members of the league of nations ( Barrett, Sheamus, and Rusev) in a tag team elimination match, the only catch being that Ziggler was out there on he's own. The match came about after Ziggler tweeted out before the show reminiscing he's victory over the Authority at Survivor Series two years ago when he was left the last man standing for he's team and took out the final members of Team Authority in one of the most important matches of that year. I had to clap at my TV for this. I'll be honest, I wasn't super excited for the match itself and I wasn't initially expecting anything brilliant but this is booking that made perfect sense and the WWE went about creating the match perfectly. As Ziggler faced another punishment at the hands of the Authority the odds and the numbers were sure not on the show off's side the League of Nations gained very early control taking it in turns to beat down the former world champion. The League of Nations rally were in their element in this match. The numbers were on their side, it was the chance for them to be as barbaric and ruthless as they like to be, and they were able to teach a small talent who had did a wrong in the eyes of the Authority a big lesson and they were as expected very very dominate throughout. Despite the rough start, Ziggler was able to eliminate Barrett to slowly gain some momentum and control but it didn't last very long at all and the double team between Sheamus and Rusev allowed the League of Nations to walk away with another victory under their belt. A part of me was expecting Dolph to win but I'm so glad it didn't. Not only did keep the League of Nations in control and on the roll they have been but it also allowed Stephanie to send a message too. She set up this punishment and it reflected the type of boss she is and difference between how she runs RAW and how Shane intends to run Monday night RAW.

Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch found themselves once again teaming up to take on Naomi and Tamina. We've seen this match a couple of times before and so I wasn't super excited for this match but the commentary team made a valid point about this match up. The last time we saw Sasha and Becky team up it was simply to take out Naomi and Tamina however this time they were not just team mates but opponents for Wrestlemania, the most important match of their career and so how they worked together was going to be interesting. The match wasn't long at all. Becky hardly had any showing and it was once again all about Sasha Banks who was the clear crowd favourite of the night. She hit a couple of impressive spots and in the end picked up the win for and Becky. After the match Charlotte set out to prove who the dominate diva really is when she took out both Becky and Sasha to close this segment of the night. I of course would have liked more action and more depth added to the story but it fitted into the show pretty good. I'm hopeing to see Charlotte in action a little more in the next week, hopefully she has a one on one this  week on Smackdown that allows her to really fit in a strong match and I'd also really like to see both Becky and Sasha compete in separate one on ones instead of seeing them tag team every week.

Talking of tag team, the New Day were set to defend their championships against former rivals turnt partners Chris Jericho and AJ Styles aka Y2AJ. If you read my RAW Review last week and my RAW Predictions last night than you will know my general feelings on this match. I was one hundred and ten percent team New Day. I don't like Styles and Jericho working as a legit tag team at all and as far as I was concerned those titles had to stay on the New Day heading into Wrestlemania. Despite my general feelings on Styles and Jericho working together I was expecting a lot from this match. There was a real mixture of styles and abilities and after building a decent story heading into this match I was really interested in seeing how these two teams work together. We have four brilliant superstars in this match and they were clearly capable of putting on a fantastic match and I was really looking forward to it all night long so I sat back and let myself really enjoy this one. Prior to the match the New Day spoke about their impressive and positive title reign and gave us their usually very entertaining banter that had me once again legit laughing at my TV at what I was seeing. The thing I first realised was the Y2AJ shirts.... now they were obviously pretty freaking awesome shirts and I sure did wanna buy one but I'm not gonna lie as a non fan of this tag team it did piss me off a little as the realisation that the New Day could be loosing their titles dawned on me and became very real. Jericho took early control of this match when he and Kofi kick started the action. Jericho and Styles showcased their team work skills when they worked together to take out both Big E and Kingston in the opening moments of this match. When RAW returned from the commercial break the control of the match had shifted with the New Day finally in control with Jericho backed in their corner showing us all why they have had such success as champions in the nearly two hundred day reign. There were a couple of really close calls that left me literally on the edge of my seat yelling at my TV screen. There was one momentum in particular that saw the New Day so very close to picking up the victory only to have Jericho send Kofi charging into the cover breaking up the pin and from this moment onwards I literally could not breathe. Honestly, I cannot tell you just how on edge I really was throughout this match but it was not healthy! I legit cannot remember the last time I was this on edge and into a tag team match or in fact any match on raw. It felt as though if the New Day didn't win I would be spending the night crying myself to sleep. It must have been approaching four am and I was at home yelling at my TV like I was insane but I honestly loved every moment in this match and in my eyes this is the one to top for match of  the month. I may not have cried myself to sleep thanks to Big E's very impressive victory but I did have tears of joy in my eyes. This match really did allow the New Day to prove they truly are fantastic champions. Brilliant match.
After the match we got some classic Jericho and something I predicted in my RAW Predictions post last night when Jericho turnt on Styles in what was perfect time and so well done. This was legit one of my favourite moments of the entire night when you include the match itself. Amazing. A-mazing.

My prayers were answered last night when Kalisto finally got a one on one match up when he took on Tyler Breeze reminding us all that he is actually the US Champion still. The little reaction Breeze got pissed me off, I'm not even going to lie about it. He remains one of my favourite WWE Superstars and it makes me so unbelievably angry seeing just how badly the WWE have treated him since calling him up to the point where I actually want to throw something at my TV. Now, it was great seeing two former NXT talents go at it last night for a second time. There is always a sense of pride and joy when this happens as a strong NXT fan. These are two very impressive, very talented, and captivating superstars, when you put them in the ring together you are certain to get something very special. Now, of course I was hopeing for this twenty minuet bout between these two NXT Graduates but there was more chance of hell freezing over than that happening last night but it sure is on my list of matches I would love to see take place because honestly with their styles it could be amazing.The match last night was short lived. Breeze had some offence but this was all about Kalisto who of course picked up the win. I do want to see something stronger for both of these superstars in the near future but this was a decent filler last night. A backstage segment showed Ryback focus he's attention on Kalisto as he advised Kalisto to leave the Lucha Dragons tag team as being apart of a tag team would only hold him back like it did him.

Talking of filler matches Ryback went to town on Curtis Axel who are of course former tag team partners. The little promo from the Social Outcasts at the start off this match did leave me in stitches of laughter. To be honest, I'm not really sure how we are supposed to feel about Ryback at the moment. You guys know I'm not a fan of he's but I have mentioned that he has impressed me a lot in recent weeks since he has started making changes but what I'm not sure of is whether he is a baby face or a heel... Anyway it was another short match that saw Ryback score the win and continue to impress.

Main event time and old rivals clashed once again as Dean Ambrose and Bray Wyatt took the spotlight in a main event I sure as hell I was looking forward too. Just like Tyler Breeze, when I think about the treatment/booking of Bray Wyatt it makes me actually want to cry. Yes, Bray has competed in some brilliant matches but when you look at how many feuds he's lost and the road he is on right now its god awful and once again makes me so unbelievably frustrated. Anyway, I'm going to save that rant for another post so lets focus on this main event. Of course Ambrose and Wyatt have had some fantastic matches in the past and have brilliant chemistry and so I was looking forward to what these two had to offer last night. Dean Ambrose did take early control of this match with some slower paced action slowly taking Wyatt apart with submissions and forearms to the head. Wyatt on the other hand was no easy opponent as we all know and brought he's own level of fight to this match. What I also liked about this match was the fact that Bray was out there on he's own without Harper, Rowan, and Strowman by he's side at ringside. During the commercial break, Wyatt really did pick up the pace and gain control of this match sending Ambrose into the apron and delivering a
supperplex from the top rope, two moves I would have really liked to have seen live and not quickly as they came back from the commercial break. The perfect example as to why ad breaks during matches are mad idea. From this moment Ambrose really did struggle to gain control of Wyatt and a double clothesline left both superstars on the floor out side of the ring, a perfectly timed and well done collision. Once they both made the count back to the ring the action really began and it was back and fourth back and fourth right to the very end. Eventually the rest of the Wyatt family would surround the ring and take out Ambrose. A part of me was expecting this but I would have liked to have seen more go on between Ambrose and Wyatt before we did actually get it. Things got even more interesting when Triple H joined the party. Now, the Wyatt family are nobody's "bitches" if thats the right word. They have their own rules and have never been ones to truly follow the Authority (apart from turncoat Harper who was on tea Authority two years ago). We got a great little stare off between Wyatt and Triple H that send the crowd a little crazy and me too in fact. Once again I was left wanting to see another feud instead of Triple H VS Roman Reigns. Bray Wyatt VS Triple H is something that would be right up my street and this little stare down had me telling "fucking booking it" at my TV at four am... Hunter of course came down to teach Ambrose another lesson and with that little smirk on he's face the game set up another beating for the lunatic fringe however this time things didn't go as planned and Ambrose planted a perfect dirty deeds on the champ and closed the night holding the championship high in the air just as he promised. Could this be the scene Saturday night? Could we really have a new WWE World Heavyweight Champion?

I really really liked this weeks RAW. Every week really does feel like Wrestlemania season and the more I see the more excited I get for Mania! I'm going to try and live tweet throughout Roadblock on Saturday but I won't be writing a Review just so you know. As always you can let me know what you thought of last nights show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Comments

Popular Posts