2018 WWE Royal Rumble PPV Highlights

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and have had an awesome weekend! The past few days have been pretty epic for us wrestling fans. Saturday night saw the stars of NXT Takeover Philadelphia in yet another brilliant showing and of course, last night the two thousand and eighteen Royal Rumble pay per view took place and boy was it an interesting and exciting night! I've said it before and I will say it again, the Royal Rumble pay per view is my favourite PPV of the year and with both the men's and the historic first ever women's Royal Rumble delivering I have hardly anything to complain  about and I have to say I'm a very happy little fan. In today's post, however, I will be kick-starting a week of honest Royal Rumble reviews. Over the next three days, I will have three different reviews taking a look at the pay per view. We start things off today with a general Highlights post while tomorrow will be dissecting the mens Rumble match and of course, on Wednesday we will be doing the exact same with the women's Rumble match! It's an exciting week ahead and while a busy one for me I'm super excited! As always, any recent blog posts will be linked bellow and finally, you can get involved and tell me what you thought of the Royal Rumble pay per view by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

You didn't Pin Me

We're going to kick start today's blog post off by taking a look back at the WWE Universal Championship match. I'll admit that after the mens Royal Rumble it was difficult to get into the other two matches that followed but this was one that was impossible to miss. From devastating monovers to spots that left us speechless this was a show of fantastic dominance from three amazing superstars. While it was predictable and the ending we all expected was booked you can't really complain. Stroman looked like a total monster during the first half of this match and Lesnar brought things back and reminded everyone why he's not only the Universal Champion but the beast of pro wrestling. Everything from tables, chairs, announce tables were used in this match to make an impact and while I'm personally not the biggest fan on big guy vs big guy kind of matches these guys put on a decent championship match easy to invest in. Kane taking the pin was something we all knew was going to happen, it allowed Strowman to maintain momentum while keeping the title on Brock. Looking ahead I do think Strowmans attentions need to be sent elsewhere probably the IC championship but that's something we will get into later on in a different post so keep your eyes on that!

A Satisfying ending If I ever did one

I don't think I could put into words just how happy I was to see Shinsuke Nakamura walk out as the two thousand and eighteen mens Royal Rumble winner. He was my pick from the summer of last year and I was beyond delighted to see him get one of the biggest victories of his entire career. The mens Royal Rumble as a whole was done very very well to the point where I don't have many bad things to say. It was hands down one of if not the best Rumble and best put together Rumble matches of the past five years. The end result was simply the icing on top of the cake. Those final ten minutes or so had me completely on the edge of my seat and that is exactly what I want from a Rumble. Pretty much when we got down to the final six and we had that battle of generations I was glued and fully invested. It was done so well and when it came down to Roman Reigns and Shinsuke Nakamura everyone was up on their feet. The whole WWE universe got behind the former NXT champion and in the end, the right decision was made in crowning Nakamura the winner. This isn't about hating Roman Reigns but simply the right booking decision for the brands and the superstars. Nakamura has been terribly used since he arrived on the main roster and main eventing Wrestlemania with AJ Styles changes the game completely and the chances of the WWE getting their first five-star rating since Cena vs Punk is looking very very promising with this match on the cards.

Disappointing Tag Team Championship Matches

Okay, I don't know if in the hype of the Rumble matches I lost interest in the tag team title bouts but I have to be honest, I didn't enjoy either. I do believe the right endings took place for both and I was very happy to see the Bar Reclaim the RAW tag team titles and the Usos retaining theirs was exactly what needed to happen but the matches just didn't work for me. The two out of three falls match should have been longer in my opinion and we should have got more from Gable and Benjamin not to mention the ending just felt like it was done wrong. I don't know where you go next with Gable and Benjamin, it's a back to the drawing board king of situation where maybe they can fit in one more title match but any more than that will destroy them more than anything else. As for the RAW tag team championship match, the one thing we can take away from this is that Jason Jordan needs a miracle. Nothing quite seems to be working in terms of getting him over with the reaction being so bad from the live crowd. With the titles no longer on Jordan and Rollins, the pair needs a damn solid segment in tonight's show and the next few weeks are going to be really key for these two.

What's next for Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn?

The only issue I really had with last nights pay per view was the question of what's next for Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens. The story they have been involved in over the past couple of months isn't something I personally have invested in and enjoyed and after losing to AJ Styles last night it is going to be interesting seeing whats next for them but also I have to say I'm pretty worried about it. They do work amazingly well together and a split it probably inevitable but the next thew weeks are going to be important and interesting. Of course, Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon will likely still very involved in their story but for me, something much bigger and interesting is going to have to happen for me to gain interest and the WWE will have a tough job in making sure these guys don't find themselves lost on the roster.

The Year of the Woman

I recently wrote an article for SteelChair magazine (the link to order that issue will be bellow at the end of the post) talking about why twenty eighteen will be the year of the women and this past weekend my point was proven. Not only did we get the first ever women's Royal Rumble match but the female talent were given the final slot of the night closing one of the biggest events of the year and I could not have been more proud. Now, I will be dissecting the whole women's Rumble discussing the best and worse moments but overall can we just stand up and give both the talent and the WWE a round of applause. Okay, so the match was slow at times, it had it's dull moments and botches but the surprise entrants were simply fantastic, the winner worked, and the surprise twist at the end genuinely left us all wondering what the hell was going on and wanting more and that is exactly what wrestling should do. The women were made the main attraction and rightfully so. Entrants that consisted of some of the best WWE superstars in history including Trish Stratus, Lita, and Michelle McCool to women that stood out more than any in their prime such as Kelly Kelly, Beth Phoneix, and Molly Holly to standout performances from the Bella Twins and Sasha Banks; the women's rumble had story, entertainment and I was genuienly left fully invested in the action in front of me. We currently now sit in a position wondering who Asuka is gonna face at Mania, which superstars are making a mini-comeback, and of course, where is Ronda Rousey placed and what does the world of WWE hold for one of the most talked about women in sports today? It's pretty damn exciting time for women's wrestling and I cannot wait for the months ahead!

And there we have it! Those are my first WWE Royal Rumble highlights. Tomorrow we will be dissecting the mens Rumble match and of course, on Wednesday we will be doing the exact same with the women's Rumble match! It's an exciting week ahead and while a busy one for me I'm super excited! As always, any recent blog posts will be linked bellow and finally, you can get involved and tell me what you thought of the Royal Rumble pay per view by leaving a comment bellow or by dropping me a tweet over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
NXT Takeover: Philadelphia Review and Reactions

Comments

Popular Posts