Match Recommendations of the Week

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good and of course have had an awesome start to the year! So we have reached the end of the first week of two thousand and eighteen and what a week it has been! Now, one of the new changes I'm going to be making to my blog this year is my Friday uploads. Every Friday I'm planning on writing and uploading my match recommendations of the week. I have already written one of these posts back in November and it went down really well and so I have decided to make it a permanent thing here on my blog. The whole point of this post is to take a look at matches from promotions both in and outside the WWE that I recommend you to watch. These will be matches that could have taken place in the week of uploading or twenty years ago. It's a time for me to talk about some matches I haven't been able to in the past and hopefully, I can recommend some matches you guys haven't seen before and hopefully create some new favorites for you guys. The only time this won't be uploaded is on pay per view weeks where I will instead bring you a prediction post.  As always, any recent blog post will be linked bellow including everything from of the year season! Finally, you can get involved and tell me what your match recommendations of the week are by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

John Cena vs Elias

Last December for the first time ever the WWE hosted Monday night RAW on Christmas day and one of my personal favourite matches of the night saw Elias go one on one with John Cena. I've mentioned in the past the WWE really have been doing a brilliant job booking Elias since his main roster debut. His had victories over stars like Matt Hardy and has worked solid matches against the likes of the Miz, Finn Balor and now John Cena. To make things better this was no squash match. These two didn't have a little five-minute contest, this match saw Elias get some pretty strong offense and close calls in in what must have lasted around the fifteen-minute mark. This was yet another night where Elias proved himself to a strong in-ring performer capable of delivering to a high standard working with a number of different stars. While he may not be in line for a major push to the top he continues to work solid matches on this level that only work to his advantage.

Marty Scrull vs Austin Aries 

Up next, we move over to Defiant wrestling, a promotion I'm looking to be spending a lot of time talking about this coming year! I've been trying my best to pay extra attention to Defiant wrestling and other British Wrestling promotions and one match that has stood out for me in recent weeks were of course Marty Scrull vs Austin Aries. I will make sure to link this match bellow so you can all check it out and trust me when I say it's worth the watch. While this doesn't make the list of some of the best wrestling matches I've seen over the past year it's a damn good one. Marty and Aries are two brilliant in-ring performers who work fantastically well together. Their styles similar in ways compliment each other and the spots and moments they created were great! What really stood out for me in this match and one of the main reasons I added it to this list was the character work. Again, I've mentioned it before but Scrull's Villian character is one of my favourite things in wrestling today. He plays his role perfectly and even with Aries working as the bigger main heel here his antics throughout the match were a brilliant touch. The title change was a huge surprise but done right and made for an interesting shift in the promotion.


Lars Sullivan vs Johnny Gargano vs Aleister Black vs Killian Dane

I can honestly say my love for NXT is finally back. I've always enjoyed watching the product and been captivated by the action but throughout twenty seventeen I had my moments were I lost interest a little, however, last weeks episode had me completely hooked. Of course, not every single episode is going to be strong but this one in particular really stood out and was a brilliant way to close the year. Lars Sullivan, Johnny Gargano, Aleister Black and Killian Dane had all earned the position in this fatal four way to determine the new number one contender to Andrade Cein Almas' NXT Championship. We had four very different, deserving and interesting picks competing and together they gave us wrestling magic. Powerhouses Killian Dane and Lars Sullivan had some amazing spots that showcased their power brilliantly. Sullivan is clearly a man the WWE is very high on and his performance on the night was once again strong and the future looks very bright for him! Killian Dane was also a huge standout for me if not the standout performer of the entire match and remains another name that has a very strong future ahead of him. Now, when this tournament started I was convinced it would be Black who would walk out the new number one contender considering his popularity, the year he's had and the direction the WWE has gone with him and so I was a little surprised to see Johnny Gargano take home the victory. Very deserving I was delighted to see Gargano given such a huge win and opportunity while Black was given a big feud with Adam Cole kick-starting the new year. So much happened in this match, new feuds, new stories, stars being born and fantastic wrestling!

Jimmy Havoc & Primate VS BT Gunn & Joe Coffey

Heading right back over to Defiant wrestling and we have one of my personal favourite matches of December the Defiant tag team championship match between champs Jimmy Havoc and Primate and the team of BT Gunn and Joe Coffey. The introduction of Defiant wrestling saw some changes made and one of those changes was, of course, Gunn and Coffey working as babyfaces which have worked. Both still likable characters these guys make it work and I've really enjoyed their face work since Defiant kick-started. The early standout for them so far has without a shadow of a doubt been this very match. A hardcore based match this was right up my street. All four men in action at the same time this was a match that had me hooked right from the very start. Every single guy stood out and there was plenty to remain focused on. This felt like a main event, it was different and it catered to a specific audience but was something, in the end, everyone could enjoy. I loved the sheer fact this was four guys beating the shit out of each other for tag team gold, the barbaric nature and the wrestling that was on show. I was glad to see the titles remain on the shoulders of Havoc and Primate who I'm honestly loving right now but BT Gunn and Coffey also had a fantastic showing!

Marty Srull VS  kushida VS Will Ospreay VS Takahashi 

Next Tueday I will be uploading a full review of Wrestle Kingdom 12 hence the reason I haven't included several popular matches that took place. Here is a sneak peak of one of my personal fave matches of the night!

Wrestle Kingdom Twelve saw several new champions crowned as we have already touched on today and the pattern continued when Marty Scrull defended his IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship in a fatal four way against KUSHIDA, Takahashi, and Will Ospreay. This for me was one easily one of the best matches of the night, personally ranking it in the top three or four. Throughout the match, the commentators touched on the history between Ospreay and the champ noting the struggle Ospreay has had defeating Scrull. Each star had their moment in the spotlight with Marty as always bringing fantastic flair and character to the contest including rolling out the ring in the early stages only getting back in to break up a pin and later on in the match whacking one of his opponents across the face with an Umbrella behind the refs back. Ospreay however, for me was the standout star of the match. The contest itself was flippy shit at its best with KUSHIDA and Takahashi fitting in some brilliant offense and impressive spots but from start to finish Ospreay made sure all eyes were on him with a never a dull moment whenever he was in sight. This was a high paced, spot fest that kept everyone entertained. It was everything fans could expect from the four competitors involved and I can honestly say I really enjoyed every single second. We had a brilliant story being told, every single talent had their moment and the match itself was different to everything else on the card and the end result was well thought out and a hundred percent the right booking decision.

And that sums up this week's Match recommendations. In next weeks edition, I'm going to be including wrestling standout moments so keep an eye out for that too! For now, however, you can tell me what your match recommendations are this week by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me over at @TezangiVictoria.

Recent Blog Posts:
NXT Calls Ups that Must Happen in 2018
This Weeks RAW and Smackdown LIVE Highlights
My 2018 WWE Wishes
Top 10 WWE Superstars to Watch in 2018 Part 1
Top 10 WWE Superstars of the Year 2017 Part 2
Top 10 WWE Matches of the Year 2017 Part 2

Comments

Popular Posts