RAW Review and Reactions

John Cena VS Cesaro on RAW
Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! It's the morning after the night before and I'm back with my Review and Reactions blog post from last nights mental episode of Monday night RAW. With the two thousand and fifteen Battleground pay per view less than three weeks away the WWE were under eminence pressure to start filling in the gaps for the show, including announcing the last couple of matches, pushing all the feuds and storyline's up a notch, and most importantly get everyone excited for what is looking to be a crazy pay per view. In today's blog post I'm going to be recapping all of last nights action from start to finish, going over every single match, promo, and segment delivered. We have a busy post in stall so lets get all the reminders and up dates out of the way so we can jump right into all the action in this weeks RAW Review and Reactions. I'm going to start with NXT month. I have already mentioned that there has been a set back for NXT month and instead of it returning in July it's now going to be coming back in August, my birthday month. I really do wish that I didn't have to push it back again but I have been so busy recently with all the live shows and prediction posts that I have no time to pre post for NXT month. I would love to know what posts you would like to see in the season to let me know by leaving a comment bellow. I will also soon be brining you my updates and news surrounding my podcast and a couple of other new projects I'm working on. As usual I will link bellow any recent blog posts including last weeks RAW Review and Reactions my Money in the bank review and reactions blog post. Finally, you can let me know what your predictions are for tonight's show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria. 

After he's huge week last week, last night's RAW kick started with WWE World Heavyweight Champion, Seth Rollins and a united Authority (Kane and J&J Security). I think we all knew this was how the show was going to start last night. The previous week saw Rollins and the Authority do the impossible and take down Brock Lesnar, leaving the beast laying flat on he's back, in the words of Rollins himself, he conquered the conquer. Recapping and boasting about what had happened during the closing moments of last weeks Monday night RAW while also talking about the moment Brock Lesnar injuring Jamie Noble. I will be honest, I don't know if it was because I was tired and not really in the mood but I just didn't like this opening. Don't get me wrong, Rollins was great on the mix but it just didn't feel like anything different. We got the usual ass licking, cocky, arrogant attitude from Rollins and it all just felt very predicable. It was nothing different at all. The vacation treat from Rollins to Kane was a little awkward and cringey to watch. I know it seems like I'm just moaning about everything but I just wanted to see some actual wrestling rather than a not so great opening segment. It felt like one big time waste. What I did like was how we got some decent story developments. Rollins sucking up to everyone and playing Summer Santa did make me laugh a little just because it was that stupid but it was a clever way of developing the storyline. We had that feeling of something big happening next or waiting around the corner and that feeling remained throughout the night.

The first match of the night saw the Big Show in action as he went one on one with Mark Henry.  I mentioned in my prediction post that I wanted to see Big Show in a match that would put him over, make him look strong, and allow him to gain even more momentum and stay on the at dominate track he has got himself on and so Mark Henry more than felt like the right guy for the job. As usual I was beyond confused about the fact Henry was working as a baby face on again. Literally every time we see this man he has changed he's role/position.  I will be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot from this match. It wasn't booked to be a big thing at all. The aim was to just what I mentioned, put Show over, push the feud between him Miz and Ryback in time for their IC championship match at Battleground in three weeks time, and carry on making the big show look strong and dominate throughout the duration of the build up. The one thing that this match did having going for it was the chemistry. Show and Mark have been working with each other for a long time and know one another really really well. They know how to tell a story and their chemistry is so so strong and that's always so clear. The match also wasn't completely out of the blue and a another bit of random booking, last week we got a little bit of tension between the two after Ryback defeated Henry during their one on one match all thanks to the Big Show. I didn't like Miz being on commentary, I still don't have a clue what he's role is or why he is even in the triple threat match at Battleground. There's no place for him at all but he needs to spend less time talking and more time wrestling and gaining moment. The match between Show and Henry was short lived and Big Show picked up a huge, quick, clean victory over the former world champion. After the match Ryback came running down to the ring  going after Big Show but got a nice boot to the face by Miz witch lead tot he next match as the two went one on one. Another match I didn't have much interest in. I felt as thought it was a very important one for Miz but I just personally wasn't looking forward to the match at all. I'll give it to Miz, he did a great job commentating. He has a great commentary history and he did a good job last night but I wasn't in the mood for this particular match even though it did make sense and seem like the best option for both superstars last night. The actual match itself didn't turn out to be all that bad if I'm being honest. Because of how the match started it was easy to get into and they didn't waste any time jumping right into the action. Ryback dominated very early on really taking it to Miz showing him why he's the champion.The big guy had the crowd right behind him throughout the match as usual and Miz really struggled to get any offence witch didn't sit well with me. I do feel like Miz needed a  much better all round performance. Ryback really dominated most of this match and I really did feel like we just needed to see so much more from Miz. When he did gain some kind of control the match fell a little flat. The closing moments saw Miz run off to the back casing the match to end by count out witch I really didn't like. It wasn't a good move to make storyline wise and it made Miz look extremely week. Bad booking choice from the WWE.

Divas action next and Paige was back set to take on Alicia Fox. I don't really get why Alicia is working with the Bella's and have joined "team Bella". This feud between Paige and the Bella's has been way over done and been going on for far too long. I just want something new and that's something we are never ever getting in the division. I hate how they are keeping the title on Nikki for far too long also. Her run is becoming boring and predicable and I literally have no interest in what is going on in the division at the moment at all. The actual match last night wasn't all that bad. Alicia
Paige VS Alicia Fox on RAW
and Paige work really well together when ever they are in the ring. They have had some pretty strong matches in the past but that has been all down to time so I was hopeing they were going to get that last night. What I really like about when these two work a match together is that they really push one another and bring out the best in each other. Alicia last night spent a lot of time in control of this match. She very fast, very strong, and very experienced and that showed throughout the match last night. I do think she can do even better than she did last night and at times the match did fall a little flat and a little messy but it was nothing major and I was happy to see the girls got a long amount of time in the ring than usual.The crowd really got behind Paige and stayed behind her from start to finish and she did have some really good spots that allowed to be a stand out f the night. I wasn't all that struck on how she won the match but a win is a win, I just want the feud over and done with now to be honest but a nice decent little divas match last night.

Up next we got John Cena's open challenge for the United States championship. I mentioned in my prediction post, witch will be linked bellow, that I really wanted to see Cena's open challenge last night. I do think it's something that fits in with the show really really well and I do enjoy them. It's nice to have a little bit of unpredictability to the show. You guy's all know that I'm absolutely loving the Cena/ Owens feud, it's one of the matches I'm most looking forward to at the Battleground pay per view in three weeks time and I'm loving the development of it. I thought it was really important that Cena got some momentum going before he's big championship match against Owens and the open challenge was a great way of doing that. What the feud needed was a slightly calmer week and bringing back Cena's open challenge was exactly the right move. Before the match actually started Kevin Owens did come down to the ring, witch was to be expected to be honest. As we thought he was coming down to accept the open challenge it was all just more mind games from the NXT champion and instead Cesaro was taking on Cena last night, witch I loved. It was just over a year ago that Cesaro had a big turn around in he's career when he had one of the best matches of the year against John Cena so you can't help but be really excited for this one. Now, Tyson Kidd may be out of action at the moment (and will be for a long time) but he has been on a role in recent weeks, picking up victories and competing in strong matches on shows like Smackdown, Superstars, and Main event. There was a great feel to last nights match with the loud crowd and the fact that Owens was on commentary. I always love it when Owens is working on commentary, he sells he's up and coming match perfectly and pushes and tells a story so well.The actual match last night saw Cesaro spend a lot of time in control. He used that huge strength advantage to just that throughout but what we also saw was him spend a lot of time wearing down John, taking all the energy out of him. I was actually really surprised to see just how much time Cesaro did actually spend in control of the match because I wasn't expecting it at all. He was so impressive in the match from the very start right to the very end and he had a great reaction from the crowd. No matter what Cena through at Cesaro he just kept coming back for more and that momentum didn't fade. The moment Cesaro used the sharpshooter I think I died a little, the Tyson Kidd love last night was strong from Cesaro. Cesaro just kept throwing out more and more and more and pushed Cena to he's limits. It was nice to see Cena not dominate a match and have so much control of it for one. I think that's something we can all love about John. He's always willing to push and help the newer, younger stars. I don't think there is any other veteran on the roster right now who is willing to put over new stars as much as John Cena. There were actually times when I thought Cesaro was actually going to walk away with the win and when you can give that feeling out you know its a great match. It was a well put together match, it had loads of great spots, the action was none stop and everything about this match was perfect. The closing moments saw Owens attack Cesaro causing the match to end in DQ just as Cesaro was closing in on the victory. I actually liked this ending, it saved Cesaro loosing to John by pin fall and at the same time Owens was pushed yet again as a big heel. This was by far one of the best matches of the month, it was easily the match of the night, could it be a potential match of the year too?

Eight man tag team action next as tag team champions Prime Time Players team up with The Lucha Dragons to take on the New Day and Bo Dallas. I wasn't all that struck on the match but it was sensible booking. The Lucha Dragons are on their way to becoming tag team champions, I give them about three months if that until they have the titles and so the build up for that has already started. We need to really pay attention to them from this point onwards. I'm not sure about the alliance between Bo Dallas and New Day, their gimmicks are pretty similar and so it does make sense and they do work fairly well together so it's not a bad thing or anything, I just think Bo deserves a little better, a least to be chasing after the IC championship. Anyone who has seen he's NXT work will know what I mean. The match last night was pretty split. Bo spent a lot of time in the ring witch was nice to see and he spent a fair amount of time in control of the match and not in control so I can't say it was a terrible night for him. Darren Young had a pretty good showing last night as did the Lucha dragons. The Lucha dragons did actually work really well with the prime time players throughout the match. There wasn't a lot of chemistry in this match or story telling but it was good basic wrestling and it kept me entertained. After the match went on for quite some time in the end it was Titus O'Neil that pinned Kofi Kingston pick up the win. Good match.

There was then a segment with Lana and Dolph Ziggler where they basically came out about their "relationship". I have to admit, I had no interest in this part of the night. I don't know if they are over doing the storyline or if the storyline is going in the wrong direction. I just think that Lana is better than a bad love triangle or should I say square storyline. She's such a great talent and I don't want the WWE wasting her. The same goes for Summer Rae who came out with Rusev last night to interrupt the segment. I do think this would be a good way to get Lana actually competing in the ring and you never know it could do some good for Summer in the long run but I just feel like their wasting time with both of them. Maybe it's because I'm not the biggest fan of love storyline's but I will try and cut these guys some slack because it was a decent segment and I do think in the future Rusev and Dolph could have a great match given the time and the story isn't terrible. I did like the little "cat fight" that broke down between Lana and Summer, who knew, Lana has a little crazy side.

Sheamus and Adrian Neville were in action next. A good booking move in my opinion. Two of favourites of mine, two very different superstars both gimmick and in ring style wise, and both in need of a strong match. They've had some great matches in the past, they work really well together and have a great deal of chemistry so I was feeling good about this match but no expecting a lot if I'm totally honest just because of how the night was going. Neville did take early control of this match thanks to he's speed and high flying ability but eventually the power and strength of Sheamus would prove to be a little too much for the former NXT champion. As we have seen throughout he's career, Sheamus really showed us how viscous he is. Neville did have a good showing also. He defiantly brought the speed and unpredictability to the match and there were moments we were reminded just why Neville was the longest reigning NXT Champion. What I loved about this match also was how much they pushed one another. Their very different styles worked well together and they were able to put on a great match. In the end it was Sheamus who picked up a big win. What we need now is even more form him. Bigger and longer matches, better booking, and strong storyline's brining the money in the bank contract into things more. We also got Barrett VS Jack Swagger. I don't want to go one massive rant because I'm always saying it but these are two of the most gifted, talented wrestlers on the roster with two amazing gimmicks the WWE can do a lot with, so I have no idea why they decide to give them almost the Zack Ryder treatment. Just the world predicted, it was a short lived match with Barrett picking up the victory.

Finally, this weeks main event saw Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns team up to take on Kane and WWE World Heavyweight champion, Seth Rollins. This match did not sit well with me and many others what so ever. It's just the same old shit if I'm being brutally honest. I love all four of these guys. Their four of the top talents on the roster, there's no doubt about that, but come on WWE. I'm beyond bored of seeing Ambrose team up with Reigns and Rollins team up with Kane. There was no effort, no story, no creativity or effort put into this weeks main event. I thought it was a poor, weak, lazy booking decision made. I did actually go to bed early and not even bother watching this match until this morning. I was so bored of seeing the same boring, predicable thing so I didn't even bother. I think my other problem is that they all need something better. Reigns has had some great one on one matches this past month against the likes of Bad News Barrett and Sheamus and so this main event I just thought did him and everyone else no favours. He's in a great feud with Bray Wyatt I just feel as though the WWE should of spent more time putting more effort into that, building it up and creating into the biggest feud they can, with both superstars picking up huge amounts of momentum from amazing singles matches. This was not one of those great matches. Same goes for Rollins. He's currently in a top top, red hot feud with the beast, Brock Lesnar and as a champion this main event was beyond weak. It wasn't going to make him look strong or come across as the type of champion he needs to come across as when set to take on Brock Lesnar. So with very very low expectations of this match and despite watching it in the morning when I woke up I had no energy to watch it and I did really struggle to get into. I get the whole point of the match was to prove that the Authority and Seth Rollins are back on track but it just didn't work from me. Way too repetitive. The one thing that did
RAW Main event 
keep match watching this match was the fact that it was a no DQ match (witch didn't make much of a difference) and the hope that we would get to see Lesnar make an appearance. The match to be fair wasn't all that bad I just had no interest because it was the same old thing but they all had a great showing. Reigns impressed me a couple of times in the match, He's had a great month this month so I have nothing bad to say about him at all. Ambrose brought a lot of speed a lot of unpredictability to the match. I would of liked to have seen a little more from Kane in the ring but when he was competing and doing something he did it well and he played a good role. Rollins I was disappointed with. I was expecting more and being the champion he needed to show but once again it was Reigns who the attention was put on. Talking of Reigns, we saw Bray Wyatt come out towards the end of the match and give Roman one big beat down witch I loved. It was a bit of excitement to the night and it was great getting more from their feud and to actually see Bray do something more than talk. Wyatt taking Reigns out meant the numbers were not on Ambrose's side and we saw another big victory from Rollins. The closing moments of the show saw Reigns take a huge beat down from the Authority and then Bray Wyatt. A goo ending to the show in my opinion.

I didn't really enjoy last nights show that much. We got some good story telling and two matches stood out for me, Cesaro and Cena and Sheamus and Neville. The main event was pretty good but very predicable so I rate the show a six of ten. I was disappointed that Heyman didn't make an appearance to be honest but hey ho. Let me know what you thought of last nights action by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Comments

Popular Posts