NXT Takeover Brooklyn Review and Reactions

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good! Last night was officially the biggest NXT Takeover show in history as NXT took over Brooklyn New York. The show was absolutely amazing! I loved every single second and this may have gone down to be my personal favourite NXT Takeover to date. The card was really really strong, the crowd were amazing, and the set up was great. The entire show was so so well put together and we were treated and amazing night jam packed of amazing, pure wrestling and it actually felt like I was there in Brooklyn, when in reality I was stuck in cold London. Anyway, I'm back today with my NXT Takeover Brooklyn Review and Reactions blog post. Today I will be taking you back through all of last night's action telling you what II thought of every single match, promo, and segment, including the kick off show. We have a busy day ahead and so I don't want to waste too much time with the intro. However, I quickly have some last minuet updates and reminders for you. I mentioned in yesterdays blog post that NXT Season was suppose to end this week but I still have a couple of post that I pre did that need to be uploaded and so they will be put up next week. I'd also really like to know what you would like to see the month of October dedicated to here on my blog. Later today I will of course be live tweeting throughout Summer Slam and my review and Reactions post for that will be uploaded tomorrow morning with my RAW Predictions following later on in the day. I will link bellow any recent blog post including the most recent NXT Month blog post. Finally, you can let me know what you thought of last night's show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

By far the most random match of the night of the entire year was the one on one between Tyler Breeze and Jushin Thunder Liger. I never ever saw this match coming and it took me by surprise big time when it was announced. Once I had passed the marking out stag of Jushin Thunder Liger actually wrestling at NXT Takeover I then just went into this mode of pure shock and confusion. It is easily one of the most random booking decisions I have every seen but I was really looking forward to the match itself. There was a really good story behind the match. The whole thing was about Tyler Breeze proving that he is the best there is in NXT and there is no one past or present that can match him in the ring. Plus he really wanted to be on the NXT Takeover card and was prepared to face anyone, including a legend. There's wasn't that much of a build up but I love the message that Breeze sent to Liger during the last NXT episode before Takeover. I also really liked the article that WWE did talking about who Jushin Thunder Liger is so that people can get to know him more and understand he's history. I was expecting a very fast paste, fun, exciting, and entertaining match and the more thought about it in the build up the more excited I got for it. The match itself was really really fun to watch. It was just as exciting as I was expecting it to be. Jushin and Tyler Breeze worked so well together and they put on such a great first match. I was happy with the amount of time they had. They both got enough time to showcase a great deal of skill and have a great night and they both got a strong reaction from the live crowd. I will admit I was disappointed that Breeze didn't get the win but it was such a fun match that I didn't really mind. This was such a great wait to start the night. It really got everyone excited and we really saw some amazing pure wrestling from the two superstars. Let's also mention how Jushin Thunder Liger looked freaking amazing in the ring last night. He really has still got it.

Last night Buddy Murpthy and Wesley Blake defended their NXT Tag Team Championships against Aiden English and Simon Gotch, the Vaudevillians. I was really really looking forward to this match. Way more than I was expecting to anyway. I actually think this could be the tag team match I have most looked forward too that has ever been at an NXT Takeover show, if that makes sense. I've really gotten into the storyline thanks to a great build up. There's been a great story and we have seen an interesting and entertaining tag team feud and build up the match. I've loved the involvement of Alexa Bliss throughout the build up. She's played such a key role and has really been a huge part in why I have enjoyed the build up to much. Since turning heel at the last NXT Takeover show Alexa Bliss has been a continuous stand out and has really brought more interest to the tag team champions. The tag division in NXT is really really strong at the moment and Murpthy and Blake have been amazing champions and I still really enjoy watching them compete. However, over the past couple of moths I have been way more for team Vaudevillians. Since their return these guy have been so over with the NXT universe and have been one of the most entertaining tag teams to watch. I was so glad they got another shot at the championships. Throughout the build up to the championship match we saw Alexa Bliss take matters into her own hands when it came to dealing with English and Gotch and for a thew weeks there were rumours everywhere that the Vaudevillians would be bringing their own little helper to deal with Alexa Bliss and keep her in line for this match and as we saw last night the challengers were joined by Blue Pants. The moment I saw that the Vaudevillians were wearing Blue I knew that Blue Plants would be joining them. When I say I marked out when she came out I seriously marked the heck out. I honestly did not expect to be that excited to see Blue Pants again. She of course received a massive pop from the crowd and it was great seeing her really get into the match and take advantage of being there. I'm glad we saw some work between her and Alexa, it added even more excitement. The match itself was amazing. I can honestly say that I really really got into this match. This was hands down my favourite NXT Takeover tag team match ever. It was just so fun to watch. We were left hanging, on the edge of our sits throughout the match and it was so easy to get into. The two styles of the two tag teams worked worked perfectly they put on one of my favourite tag team matches of the year. I surprised myself with just how into the match I was. The closing moments were great and I could not have been happier for Aiden English and Simon Gotch. You could really tell how much that victory meant for them.

Up next we finally got the much anticipated debut of Apollo Crews, formally known as Uhaa Nation. I wrote a blot post about Crews for my NXT month and I will link that bellow so you can check that out if you haven't already done so. As soon as I found out that he had signed with WWE I was beyond excited. I cannot tell you just how bad my reaction was. I had waited so long for him to sign with the WWE and so when I heard the news that he has I was over the moon and way too excited. Since the announcement I have been waiting for he's debt week after week and last night it finally came around when he took on Tye Dillinger. I love that they didn't wait too long for him to debut. Since the moment he signed the WWE have been all over him coming tot he WWE and they have really hyped he's debut witch I have loved. Anyway back to last night and the match itself was much
better than I was expecting it to be. It was longer than I thought it was going to be and Dillinger got a little more offence than I was expecting witch was great. Both superstars got a huge reaction from the crowd  and I'm not gonna like, I marked out big time for Apollo Crews. Honestly, my mum looked at me like I was mental. Even though I knew he was debuting last night I still marked out when he's music hit. Talking of music, I really liked the entrance theme. They did a great job picking a good theme or Apollo and I did have a sigh of relief when I heard it. He was by far the star of this match. He was so engaged with the fans and had an amazing amazing performance. In the time that he had he treated us to a little insight of what he's made of and what he can do in the ring. It was great being reminded just how fun and exciting he it to watch. For anyone that has never seen him compete before I'm sure they were all left amazed because even as a long term fan of he's I was impressed and left speechless. I cannot wait to see what the WWE have in store for him but he had such a great night and the entire world now knows that Apollo Crews has arrived.

It was around a year ago that Baron Corbin made he's official debut for NXT. I remember being the happiest person alive when I saw him have he's first match at NXT Takeover and making he's mark in the developmental territory. I had waited so long for him to make he's debut and really get started and so when he arrived around a year ago at a Takeover show you can only imagine how happy I was. For the past year we have seen him take out a dozen wrestlers in a matter of seconds but he's only been in a couple of actual storyline's. He's first proper storyline was against Bull Dempsey where he picked up every single victory in the feud. He then defeated Rhyno in that feud a couple of months back and now of course he is taking on Samoa Joe and the two went one on one last night at the biggest NXT Takeover show to date. I am of course a huge Corbin fan. I have been way before he even officially debuted and so I haven't really enjoyed seeing what we have seen of him in the past year. The fact that he is over a year in and he's still competing in squash matches and we have only had less then a handful of good matches from him does piss me off a little but I do understand why they have done that with him. He has looked dominate and dangerous it's just about time that they started giving him some real competition. The WWE did a great article on Corbin in the week witch I advise you to check out. I do think that he works better as a heel and their are more opportunities for him as a heel and I really am a fan of he's feud with Samoa Joe. I mentioned this already in my prediction post but I honestly feel as though Joe is the perfect man for Corbin to feud with at this point of he's career. He's the superstar that could really push him in the ring and give Corbin some heat from the fans. Talking of the ans giving Baron heat, I just need to quickly go on a little rant. I understand that NXT has become it's own brand and is the home of the best of the best meaning that the standard is so high but people need to remember that this is the developmental territory. This is the place to learn, grow and develop, so when people give Baron hate for he's mic/character work and he's wrestling they really do remember that he is in the right place to learn and that is why he's in NXT. Anyway, I was of course backing Corbin last night despite being a Samoa Joe mega fan. I was really expecting quite a lot from the match just because I felt as though Corbin had a lot to prove and needed to have a great match. I'm so glad that I can sit here and say that I loved this match! It was so nervous that Corbin wouldn't be able to look good standing in the ring with Samoa Joe and I really did think he would struggle but he did all he's fans proud and had he's best match to date without a doubt. I honestly could have cried tears of joy after this match. He may not have won it (witch I didn't like but it's fine I've moved on) but he impressed me and everyone else so much. He looked dominate, and strong and genuinely dangerous. There were times were he was a little messy but I kind of over looked that. I will admit that I still think he needs to work a lot on he's charisma. It feels like he still hasn't really connected with the fans but he had a great night last night and really proved himself. I'm hopeing now we see stronger booking choices for him. Joe did great putting over Corbin and making him look as good as possible and he's victory was strong and convincing. With how the  match ended, I don't think this feud is over just yet. I would have loved to have seen Corbin attack Joe after the match but I was far too satisfied and happy that I didn't really mind.

Divas action next and Sasha Banks was set to defend her NXT Women's Championship against Bayley. Once again, I was really really really looking forward to this match. It was bound to be a great one ad apart of me honestly believed that this was going to be the best NXT women's match to date. I had such high expectations and I really was into this match a lot. I loved the storyline behind this match. The whole concept of Bayley on her journey of proving herself and finally reaching her goal of becoming the NXT Women's champion has worked so well and has really been fun to watch. It has of course reminded me of the Sami Zayn road to redemption storyline that we saw recently and I think that's the road  they were trying to go down with Bayley and it really worked and paid off. We have seen her defeat Emma, Charlotte, and Becky Lynch to earn her place in an NXT Women's Championship match. Sasha Banks on the other hand walked into Summer Slam with bags of momentum. For the past month now she has been owning the WWE main roster divas divsion. We have seen her pick up huge victories over two time divas champion Paige and the current Divas Champion, Nikki Bella. She will also be competing at Summer Slam tonight a huge divas match up. Plus, I had her in my top fifteen superstars of the month last month and I will link that blog post bellow so you can go and check that out as well if you haven't already. I was of course expecting a lot from this match even though I felt it was predicable. The NXT women have set the bar so so high over the past year and these are two of the best of the best and so I was of course expecting a lot just like everyone else. These girls did not disappoint in the slightest. I honestly don't know where to begin when it comes to this match. It was absolutely amazing.  They without a doubt had the match of the night and stole the entire show. The match was just as amazing as I was expecting it to be. Throughout the night the match was advised as one of the main events and the hype for it was outstanding. I loved the video package and before the match we had Stephanie McMahon introduce it witch gave it a whole new effect and feel. This felt like I was watching a pay per view main event and when I was watching it I just remember thinking to myself, how on earth am I going to put into words how amazing this match was? These girls really are what it means to be a pro wrestler. They show how it should be done weather your a male or female in the business. All fifteen thousand plus people in attendance last night were left hanging on their every move and the reactions they got were just out of this world. They received so much respect from the live crowd and they really did deserve it. The match felt as though it went on for much longer than sixteen minuets and I honestly did not want it to end. The story told throughout this match was just amazing. We saw Sasha continue to trash talk Bayley and we saw Bayley never give up and fight to make her dream come true. Both divas upped their game and stole the freaking show. I could never have predicted what we saw last night. It felt so great seeing Bayley finally get her big win and after the match it was just the most amazing thing seeing the four horse women all celebrate together. These are the women that changed the game and they took the heck over last night.

And finally, our main event of the night. Finn Balor VS Kevin Owens in a ladder match for the NXT Championship. I cannot put into words just how excited I was for this match. These are two of my favourite superstars right now and after their previous match I could not wait to see them go at it last night in a ladder match. Back at Beast in the East the two of them put on an epic match up, one of my favourites of the entire yea and I even had it as my match of the month (that blog post will be linked bellow also so you can check that out if you haven't already done so. I enjoyed that match so much and I could not wait to see them go one on one once again. Even though Owens has been working on the main roster and has officially got the call up he has remained  a popular face on NXT and has really been involved in the build up. It was only this pat Wednesday that we got an amazing promo from him witch just got me even more excited for last night's match. They of course had set the bar extremely high and we were all expecting a lot from the match. When it has become a ladder match I was beyond excited and I knew that we were going to be having a match that could quite easily become a match of the year candidate and I could not wait. I was also really looking forward to the entrances alone witch says a lot to be totally honest. Now after the women's match these guys were under so much pressure to deliver and even though they had an amazing match, I still feel as though
the women stole the show last night without a doubt.  The ladder match was just awesome and exactly what I was expecting it to be. I don't feel as though one superstar stood out more than the other if I'm being totally honest. They both had such an amazing performance that for me there wasn't just one main stand out. The match was extremely physical and it was nothing like what we have seen from NXT before. They both looked like champions throughout the match and they really showed us what putting your body on the line really meant. I loved that even though the show ran over time the match didn't feel rushed and the night ended on a massive high. It was such a great way to close the night after what was an epic show.

All round I would rate the show a ten out of ten. I honestly can not fault anything that we saw last night. Every single match delivered and I enjoyed the entire show. For me, without a doubt the match of the night was Sasha Banks VS Bayley. The completely stole the show and gave us what is easily in the running for match of the year. It was the greatest divas match I have ever seen and I have nothing to bad to say about what so ever. The whole night was such an amazing event and so well put together and we all know that Summer Slam and the main roster has a lot to live up to tonight. Remember, you can let me know what you thought of last night's show by leaving a comment bellow or by tweeting me at @TezangiVictoria.

Comments

Popular Posts