Top Fifteen Superstars of August

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good. We have reached the end of yet another month witch of course means it's that time again. Time to take a look back at the past four weeks highlighting the best moments of August. Today I have part one of my top fifteen superstars of August. This month there have been a lot of WWE and NXT Superstars that have stood out for me and I have been surprised by just how many of this months top twenty matches are actually divas matches. There isn't many TNA matches in this months list if I'm being honest but the ones that were put in were hands down my personal favourites. I say it every month but remember these lists are all my own personal opinion but I would still love to know what have been your favourite matches of the month and who you think has been your superstar of the month. We have loads to get through in today's blog post so let's not waste any more time. I will link bellow any recent blog post including my NXT Takeover Brooklyn Review and Reactions and my SummerSlam Review and Reactions post too. You can also tweet me your match of the month at @TezangiVictoria or you can leave a comment bellow.

15) Brock Lesnar
Kick starting this moths top fifteen superstars of the month is last months number one spot holder, Brock Lesnar. I found it really difficult to find a place to put Lesnar in this month and in the end I just felt like it was best to put him in at number fifteen to start the list. It's not that he has had a bad month at all but I always want to change things up on my blog and I feel like we have had more superstars stand out and have a better month than Lesnar. Throughout August we have course seen him the centre of attention as he continued to feud with The Undertaker in the build up to their big SummerSlam main event match up. In the build up Lesnar of course looked strong and Heyman played a huge part in doing that. Taker did come across stronger but the big reaction that Lesnar got on the go home show for SummerSlam is a big part of why he is in this months top fifteen. He was also the man of SummerSlam in my eyes. He had one of the most memorable performances of the night and of course he was the superstar I was backing in the match so I am a little bias. I also loved how he kick started RAW just last week. He sent a huge message to the Undertaker and the WWE universe, letting everyone know that things are far from over.

14) Bram
Up next is the first TNA star to feature in this months top fifteen. I'll be honest, there's not many TNA Stars in this months top fifteen. I haven't really been enjoying the TNA shows this past month. Not many matches have stood out for me and I've just felt like the product has been pretty weak. I don't know, that may just be a personal feeling, let me know what you have thought of the shows this month in the comments bellow. Anyway, for me Bram has been one of the most consistent stars to stand out. He's always been a favourite of mine and I have written a couple of blog post about him in the past witch I will try and link bellow. For the past couple of months now we have seen Bram take out a number of former and current TNA superstars and for a while now he's attention has mainly been focused on Mr Kennedy witch I have enjoyed. They work really well together and have put on  some pretty great matches over the past month. Now, Bram hasn't always picked up the victories in he's matches against Kennedy but he has always been the stand out in my eyes and has always been left the last man standing. I like what TNA are doing with Bram at the moment and I hope that things only get better for him in the next month as well, things look to be far from over with Kennedy.

13) Baron Corbin
The number four spot this month has been taken up by NXT Superstar, Baron Corbin. I can't remember whether or not I have had Corbin in my top fifteen before but if I have it was a long time ago so it's great to have him back in the list. The month of August has seen Corbin finally start to make he's mark in the WWE/NXT. He's been on the roster a little over a year now and it's taken him a long time to get on track and start competing at a higher level. We've seen him apart of two feuds but they both have been short lived and even though he has always come up on top they haven't been as strong as they need to be to meet the standards of NXT and to get to where he needs to be. This month we saw home compete almost every week in squash matches picking up victories in under thirty seconds. The whole idea was to give him once last big build up and make him look as strong and as dominate as possible and it worked. After cutting a not so great promo, Corbin was confronted by one of the best in the world, Samoa Joe and so their feud began. I was delighted that these two were going to be feuding. Joe is the perfect person to give Baron what he needs and he did just that. Corbin looked great in the brawls during the build up to their match and at NXT Takeover Brooklyn he without a doubt had the best match of he's career so far. Of course there is a lot of work he needs to do. He's struggling to connect with the fans and show charisma and I really hope he can get that sorted and work on it because I'm one hundred percent team Baron and I want to be able to have reasons behind that. He has had a really strong month and I'm hopeing that we can see the stronger booking remain and we see him continue to get even better over the next month.

12) Stardust
At number twelve in this months top fifteen superstars of the month is Stardust. It's been a really really strong month for Stardust. You guys all know because I have said it about a million times this month but the feud between Stardust and Neville and of course Stephen Amell was one of my favourites of not just the month but the year. The comic book themed/style storyline was right up my street and I thought it was so well done. Cody played the perfect villain role and was one of the best heels to watch this month. He's also been one of the all round most entertaining and fun to watch superstars of August. I wasn't a fan of the gimmick when it was introduced all those months back but over the past four weeks or so my opinions have completely changed. He's been so fun to watch and has made every single second of TV time count and work for him. He's matches with Neville have been entertaining to say the least and at Summer Slam despite getting the loss he was one of my favourites to watch on the night. I also was not expecting Stardust to turn on he's tag team partner King Barrett only twenty four hours after their SummerSlam match. Even thought I felt it was random I have grown to really like the idea and thought it was a smart move. He's promos this month have by far been the biggest contributor to why he is in this months top fifteen. He really did make the most of he's feud with Amell and it paid off massively, I'm just hopeing he can keep the momentum at a high over the next four weeks.

11) Finn Balor
Coming next at number elven is the current NXT Champion, Finn Balor. I will be honest, I didn't really know where exactly to put Balor in this months top fifteen. I knew I wanted him in the post but I didn't know where would be best. To start off with I had him at number five then at number fifteen and so eventually I settled for elven witch seemed to feel right. Anyway, it has been another great month for Balor. He's remained the number one guy down in NXT and one of the most must see superstars on the roster. One of my favourite moments of the month was the contract signing between Balor and Owens for the championship match at NXT Takeover Brooklyn. I really liked how it was done and it was easily one of my favourite contract  signings of the year. In the build up to NXT Takeover Balor gained a lot of momentum picking up the odd win here and there while also standing tall in almost every showdown with Owens. There was also a great deal of good backstage interviews and promos from Balor this month that have contributed to he's placing this month. The highlight of the month for Finn was of course he's amazing championship ladder match against Kevin Owens at NXT Takeover Brooklyn. He was without a doubt the man of the night and the match ended up being one of the best of the night and of the month and could even be in the running for one of the greatest matches of the year. I cannot wait to see what the next month holds for Balor and I'm also very excited to see him live in December!

10) Ethan Carter 
The last TNA star to feature in this months top fifteen is up next and kick starting the top ten. Even though I felt like the TNA shows throughout August were week I wanted to try and have at least one TNA star in the top ten and when I looked back at my notes it had to be Ethan Carter. Without a doubt he has been the strongest of the roster. He's had the best month out of everyone and has been the one star that I have been most looking forward to watching. He's been booked extremely strong and has been one of if not the most entertaining star on the roster. I spent a long time wanting him to  be the TNA World Heavyweight Champion and all month long he has proven to be a great champion. He's defended the championship pretty much every single week and all the matches have been extremely strong with two sticking out the most. I have loved he's work with Matt Hardy all month long. The veteran has brought out the best in Carter throughout August both in the ring and on the mic and their feud has been one of the best in TNA this past month. Carters promos and segments have been some of the best as well and have helped contribute to why he is in my top ten this month. I do think there are big challenges coming he's way and the month of September is going to be interesting to watch.

9) Sheamus
Up next and in at number nine in this months top fifteen superstars of the month is Sheamus. Last month Sheamus was in my top fifteen but I think I had him at number twelve so he's gone up in the list. The past month has seen Sheamus booked much stronger and we have seen him come much much closer to cashing in he's Money In The Bank contract. Two weeks before SummerSlam we saw him try to cash in during the main event but was stopped by long time rival, Randy Orton. Throughout August we have seen Sheamus continue to feud with Orton and while I haven't enjoyed the feud as much as I did the month before I remained just as excited for their matches whether it be a one on one or tag team match because they do have so much chemistry and history and never fail to impress. All through August we have seen Sheamus compete in various tag team matches were we have seen him make a small alliance with Kevin Owens witch has been great to see and despite having their differences in the past they manage to work amazingly well together as two of the best heels on the roster at the moment and have put on some great tag team matches. The money in the bank winner also teamed up with Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper on the third of August right back at the start of the month taking on Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, and Randy Orton in another pretty good match. Without a doubt Sheamus' match of the month was he's one on one at SummerSlam. He and Orton kick started the night on a high providing another great match that I really enjoyed and he managed to pick up a much needed big victory over the viper. Sheamus is growing closer and closer to cashing in and he is slowly starting to get into the storyline's he needs to have a successful cash in so we should all be keeping a close eye on him throughout September.

8) Kevin Owens 
At number eight in this months top fifteen superstars of the month is Kevin Owens. For months now Kevin Owens has been at the top of he's game. He's been one of the most must see superstars on the roster and one of the most entertaining. This month has been no different what so ever. We have seen him compete on both the main roster and on NXT taking part in two amazing feuds, one with Cesaro and the other with Finn Balor for the NXT Championship, both of witch have been two of my favourites of the month. Owens has had a great deal of chemistry with both superstars and even though he has been super busy he has't been sloppy what so ever. He's booking has remained very strong competing in some of the best matches of the month yet again adding more to he's list of potential match of the year candidates. We have seen him make strong alliances with the likes of former United States Champion Rusev and Mr Money In The Bank, Sheamus witch I have really enjoyed watching. They're three of my favourite superstars at the moment even though they have had their differences in the past this month we have actually seen them able to work together and have some great performances together. Owens has competed in a couple of great tag team matches on both RAW and Smackdown, main eventing both shows. This included a great tag team match with WWE World Heavyweight Champion, Seth Rollins on Smackdown. He of course has cut come amazing promos as well, once again some of  my favourites we have seen all year round both on RAW and on NXT that have tied in amazingly well with both feuds. He's continued to be the top heel of the company without a fail. Tow of he's matches have stood out for me and both have been in my top twenty of the month and are sure to be candidates for the top matches of the year. The first was against Balor at NXT Takeover witch was one of the best ladder matches of the year and the other was at SummerSlam against Cesaro witch was one of my favourites of the night. He's booking has remained strong this month and I'm hoping that stays the same over the next four weeks.

7) New Day
Coming in at number seven this month is the only tag team in this list for August, the New Day. I'm sure you all saw this coming. There was now way I could not put these guys in my August top fifteen superstars of the month. They have had a great past four weeks and with the tag division heating up thanks to the return of the Dudley Boyz (witch I'm still trying to get over) last week. Throughout August the New Day have by far remained at the top of their division. It actually got to the point this month where I spent the whole not waiting for and getting excited for the New Day's part of the night and trust me that rarely happens with anyone and I think it's because they are so unpredictable. You don't know what they have waiting around the corner and what will come out of their mouths next. Without a doubt they have been the most entertaining and fun to watch tag team. Whether you love them or hate them you have an opinion on them and you have some kind of chant to feed them. This month these guys have been on a role as they have been climbing there way up to becoming two time tag team champions.  Throughout the month we have seen them compete in various tag team matches were they may not have always picked up the win but they have been the ones we have all been talking about come the end of the night. Their promos have been insane! Honestly the smiles these guys put on my face and how much they make me laugh is more than any WWE superstar has done in years. If you haven't seen their interview with Michael Cole from last week I seriously advise that you go and give it a watch because it's the funniest thing  have ever seen. Their entrances this month have been the best things I have seen all month and have had me actually chanting "this awesome" at my own TV. Their performance at SummerSlam was one of the strongest of the night and they had one of the best tag team matches of the entire year.I was so glad that they became two time tag team champions. The Prime Time Players were great champions but they had nothing on the New Day when it came to personality and charisma and even wrestling ability. Big E has for me been the stand out and the one I have enjoyed watching the most. I have however really grown to like Xavier Woods. I've said it before but he hasn't been my favourite person in the world but he has really grown on me in the past month. With the Dudley Boyz back things look to be getting even stronger for the New Day and the tag division.

6) Lana
In at number six this month is Lana. I have had Lana in my top fifteen superstars of the month blog post before and I'm so glad that I have her back in the list this month. The past four weeks has seen Lana at the top of her game as she has gotten closer and closer to making her in ring debut. We have continued to see the love square between Rusev, Summer Rae, Lana, and Dolph Ziggler but with Ziggler out of action Lana was left to keep the feud alive on her own and she did a fantastic job. I know I have already said it enough this month on my blog but Lana and Summer Rae have one hundred and ten percent been the ones to keep everyone interested in this storyline. I wasn't the biggest fan of the feud to start out with but the more I watched it and the more we saw from Lana and Summer the more interested I have been and it has by far become one of my favourite feuds in the WWE at the moment. Throughout August while on her own Lana has been the most interesting and entertaining factor of the storyline. She has really got involved in everything and has been a fan favourite from the start. She honestly receives one of the biggest pops of the night whenever she comes out. This month we have seen her take the time to participate in backstage interviews that have kept the feud going. She has also been on commentary a couple of times where she has spoken amazingly well, some of the divas should really be taking mic ability advice from her. She has also confronted Rusev on numerous  occasions feeding him a nice little slap around the face witch has always got the crowd fired up. The biggest role that Lana has played is with her work with Summer Rae. We have seen the two throw fists at each other several times and I thought it was a great touch seeing Summer use Rusev's submission on Lana, it was great story telling and really developed the story. She was also the centre of attention at SummerSlam debuting a new outfit. This month has been huge for Lana and she's been one of my favourite divas to watch. Her and Summer have played such a big role in the divas revolution without us noticing and with her in ring debut around the corner, next month looks to be even bigger for Lana.

5) Charlotte
Kick starting the top five this month is another diva and this time it's former NXT Women's Champion, Charlotte. Last month Charlotte was at number seven in my top fifteen of the month but after an amazing past four weeks there was no doubt that she had to be in the top five at least. It's no secret that divas have been taking over this past month and Charlotte has been one of the top names in the process. She has been competing on both the main roster and on NXT and has been one of the most impressive women in the WWE as a result. If we go back to right at the start of the month on the first RAW of August we saw Charlotte team up with fellow PCB member Becky Lynch to take on the Bella twins. The match wasn't the best in the world but it was decent and Charlotte was without a doubt the most fun to watch and was the stand out. She also made the divas champion tap out to get the win for her team. On the same week she competed in a great match against Bayley on NXT. This was one of my favourite divas matches of the month and you can see exactly what I had to say about it in my top twenty matches of the month part one post witch will be linked bellow. Charlotte may not have gotten the win but she sure did have an emotional great permanence. Then on Smackdown she competed in two matches. One short one against Naomi witch was shaping up to be great but after outside just as she was closing in on the victor, the match turnt into a tag team match witch was once again one of my favourite divas matches of the night and Charlotte was yet again a top stand out. The following week on Smackdown she got her one on one rematch against Naomi and the two had a decent match witch saw Charlotte pick up another big victory. She was also the stand out of her match at the NXT Brooklyn special were after the match she made a huge statement letting everyone know she is still the top dog. This month we have also seen the former NXT Women's Champion have some time on the mic and steal the show during the divas match at SummerSlam. This month Charlotte has been at the top of her game and it's clear she's coming after that Divas Championship. The month of September looks to be a very strong one for Charlotte.

4) Cesaro
For a second month in a row, Cesaro is up next coming in at number four. This is the exact same position that Cesaro was in last month and I feel as though this is one hundred per cent the right place for him to be once again this month. Throughout August we have continued to see he's booking remain strong witch has been the best thing ever as a long term Cesaro fan. For a very long time now all the Cesaro fans have been waiting or him to get the right booking and to see him booked as one of the top talents on the roster because he is one. Once again, working as a baby face has helped him so much. If they had done this a long time ago he would most probably be the WWE World Heavyweight Champion right now. This past month he has been proving everyone wrong who has doubted him. Vince wanted him to show character and connect with the WWE Universe and that is exactly what he has done and so much more this month. He's feud with Kevin Owens has remained as one of my favourite if not my favourite feud of the month without a doubt and in the build up to SummerSlam Cesaro has kept momentum as a high. At the start of the month we saw Cesaro and Kevin Owens take part in an addition of Miz TV where Cesaro was pretty impressive on the mic and was left the last man standing in the ring. The Following week on RAW he competed in a triple threat match against Randy Orton and Kevin Owens for the chance to take on Seth Rollins in the main event for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. The match was one of my favourites of the month and Cesaro had an outstanding performance despite not picking up the win. Cesaro also main evented Smackdown on the thirteenth when he teamed up with Neville to take on Kevin Owens and Seth Rollins in another great match up. On the go home show for SummerSlam he competed in another great tag team match teaming with Orton and was also in a huge tag team match on the Thursday of that same week. At SummerSlam he and Kevin Owens had one of the best matches of the night and of the month. You can read what I thought about that match in my SummerSlam Review witch will be linked bellow. The night after SummerSlam he stood out yet again in another tag team match where he had one of the biggest pops of the night. Throughout August we have seen Cesaro compete in awesome tag team matches and has had some of the best matches of the month. We have also seen him help out the tough enough finalist giving them there first matches and he stole the show at one of the biggest events of the year putting him at number four this month. 

3) Sasha Banks
At number three this month is lost months number two spot holder, former NXT Women's Champion, Sasha Banks. It still feels weird calling her a "former" champion but I will get used to it. This month Sasha has remained the top diva on the block without a doubt. She has clearly been the favourite amongst the fans all month and has been the most must see WWE diva on the current roster. I'm going to quickly start of by commenting about her podcast interview with Chris Jericho. Now, if you haven't heard it I seriously recommend that you do and I will try and link it bellow if I can find a link. It was such a great interview and we really got to learn more about Sasha growing up as a wrestling fan and how she got into wrestling. Her journey to the WWE is something that we should all admire and it's so interesting to listen to so go and check it out. Anyway, this month we saw Sasha compete on both NXT and on RAW and Smackdown. Since coming up to the main roster Sasha has been proving week after week why she's the boss and it's paid off big time. She has competed in some of the best divas matches of the month and without a doubt has been the strongest women in the WWE. In her six divas tag team match (team BAD VS Team Bella) she was one of the top stand outs and had one of the best showings of the night. She spent the most amount of time in the ring out of her team and was the one we were all talking about come the end of the night. She also had a couple of really strong performances on Smackdown. Her tag team match against Charlotte and Becky Lynch was one of my favourite diva matches of the month also and we have had a strong amount of time on the mic where she has sounded great. Then on NXT we have seen her have her final feud with Bayley. At NXT Takeover the two of them had the best match of the night without a doubt and she truly did cement herself as the greatest female wrestler in the WWE right now. Her performance at Takeover was just insane and I was left so inspired, honestly I have watched this match at least nine times since Takeover. This month Sasha has been on fire. Her promo at NXT during the contract signing was amazing. She's managed to be the strongest heel diva in the WWE but still had an arena of fifteen thousand plus people chanting for her on RAW. She picked up a huge win over the divas champion on the go home show for SummerSlam, at SummerSlam her team may not have last long but she was seriously over with the crowd and had a couple of impressive spots, and has remained at the top of her game. Fully on the main roster and having nothing keeping her in NXT, Sasha is bound to break new heights on the main roster.

2) Seth Rollins
Coming in at number three and just missing out on the top spot this month is WWE World Heavyweight Champion and United States Champion, Seth Rollins. It feels so good to finally be able to put Rollins back in my top twenty list and at a high number. You guys would have all seen that over the past three months or so I haven't had much positive things to say about Rollins. We kind of saw him go through a dodgy side in he's career were everything just felt repetitive and predicable and as a Seth Rollins fan it was beyond frustrating to watch. However, the month of August has been a good one for Rollins and we have finally seen him climb back on top and prove why he is the champion of all champions in the WWE right now. Right at the very start of the month we saw Seth go one on one with Adrian Neville in what was an amazing championship match. We hardly get to see championship defended on RAW and even though the match was predicable it was one of my favourites of the entire month and it was the start of Rollins making he's way back to the top and in my good books. The week after that he defend the championship yet again when he took on Randy Orton in what was yet another great match. I cannot put into words just how much I have enjoyed watching Rollins defend the champions. It's so refreshing seeing matches that feel so important on RAW instead of saving all the championship matches at pay per view shows. It was about time he was booked as a champion and we really saw that this month, finally. He also had one great Smackdown match when he teamed up with Kevin Owens to take on the team of Cesaro and Adrian Neville where he yet again had another strong showing. The biggest storyline for Rollins this month has been he's feud with Cena when he broke he's nose taking the fifteen time champion out of action for a couple of weeks. Throughout  August we saw some really strong promos from Rollins witch have contributed to him coming in at number two. Then of course we had the phenomenal championship VS Championship match at SummerSlam witch was just outstanding if we don't include the closing moments. Rollins was without a doubt the star of this match and you can see what I thought of this match in my SummerSlam Review witch will be linked bellow. Now, I may not have been and still may not like the idea of one superstar holding two championships at the same time but I cannot deny that Rollins earned that position and deserved it. He has been cemented as one of the greats of this generation and he's performance at SummerSlam will be one we all remember for years to come.

1) Bayley
For the first time ever here on my blog, we have a diva taking the top spot as the new NXT Women's Champion, Bayley is crowned this months number one superstar of August. I really did want to change things up this month and I wanted to have my number one spot filled by someone we have never had in the top five. For months I have wanted to have a diva at number one  and last month Sasha Banks came very very close but there were a couple of things that made me side with Lesnar for the top spot. However, August is a whole different story and when I looked back at my notes from the past month it was clear that NXT Diva Bayley was at the top of this months list. Over the past four weeks we have seen Bayley climb to the top in her division. She has taken all the necessary steps and more to becoming the face of the NXT Divas Division and she has earned her place at the top without a doubt. You will all probably know but a year ago I was not a mega Bayley an. I wasn't invested in her character and I didn't get all the hype surrounding her, but the more I watched and the more attention I paid the more I began to like her and I can now sit here and say that she is one of my
favourite WWE divas of today. Over the past month Bayley has won me over completely. If there was any doubt still there before the start of August then I can safely say that there is none now what so ever. She has worked her butt off this past month and I have felt like we as the fans have been so invested and involved in her journey to becoming the NXT Women's Champion. I have compared it to the Sami Zayn road to redemption storyline and I still stick by that because it really did have that feel to it. We saw Bayley take on and defeat some of the best divas in NXT history including Emma, Charlotte, and Becky Lynch before competing at the biggest NXT Takeover event to date. Her match with Charlotte on an episode of NXT (witch featured in this months top twenty) had so much story and depth to it. I was so emotionally into the match and I felt like it was a key part in her journey this month. Charlotte has been the top dog in NXT for the past year and to be the best you got to beat the best and that is exactly what Bayley did. She proved herself in this match and then she did the exact same thing in her number one contenders match with Becky Lynch witch was also a great match and featured in my top twenty. When she went to NXT Takeover Brooklyn, Bayley without a doubt had her best match to date. Her and Sasha Banks tore the house down and had the match of the night. They both had such an amazing performance and put on what is quite possibly the greatest women's wrestling match I have ever seen and one of the best matches of the year. It was the night that Bayley truly became a star and cemented her legacy in NXT. NXT this month has been all about Bayley. We have had some great promos from her. I loved that she attacked Sasha in the contract signing, I loved all the matches that she competed in this month and I love the fact that she is the last member of the four horse women left standing in NXT. This month it has all been about Bayley and she more than deserves to be the number one spot holder.

SummerSlam Review and Reactions
NXT Takeover Brooklyn Review and Reactions

Comments

Popular Posts