Top Twenty Matches of August part 1

Hello everyone and welcome back to Talk Wrestling World, I hope you are all well and good. We have reached the end of yet another month witch of course means it's that time again. Time to take a look back at the past four weeks highlighting the best moments of August. Today I have part one of my top twenty matches of August. This month there have been a bunch of matches that have stood out for me and I have been surprised by just how many of this months top twenty matches are actually divas matches. There isn't many TNA matches in this months list if I'm being honest but the ones that were put in were hands down my personal favourites. I say it every month but remember these lists are all my own personal opinion but I would still love to know what have been your favourite matches of the month and who you think has been your superstar of the month. We have loads to get through in today's blog post so let's not waste any more time. I will link bellow any recent blog post including my NXT Takeover Brooklyn Review and Reactions and my SummerSlam Review and Reactions post too. You can also tweet me your match of the month at @TezangiVictoria or you can leave a comment bellow.

20) Charlotte & Becky Lynch VS Naomi & Sasha Banks (Smackdown 6/8)
On the first Smackdown of the month we were treated to a great divas tag team match as Charlotte and Becky Lynch took on Naomi and Sasha Banks. Prior to the match we saw Naomi and Charlotte compete in what was growing to be a strong one on one however, as Charlotte was closing in on the victory an interruption from Sasha Banks meant that the match turnt into a tag team match. I loved how we actually got some story in the division on the night and there was a great deal of attention on the girls. I was really enjoying Charlotte and Naomi going one on one. They are two of the most athletic divas on the current roster and two of the most athletic divas in WWE history. Could you imagine what we would get from them if they were competing in a fifteen minuet match? I seriously hope that one day we do actually get that because it would just be a dream match and could go down in history to be one of the greatest of all time. Anyway, back to the actual match we got and I loved this way more than I was expecting too. All four divas worked perfectly well together and the match had such a good flow and pace to it. It was an easy watch match. Because of the story that was being told and the chemistry that all the divas had it was so easy to get into and enjoy. They all stood out for me for individual reasons but Charlotte and Naomi were the divas of the night in my opinion. They worked extremely well with one another and their athletic ability just made the match so much more exciting. The character to the match was one hundred percent brought by Sasha Banks while Becky Lynch was bringing a lot of the story and there was something else she was brining to it as well. It was nice seeing Tamina play some kind of role by causing the distractions and a couple of sneaky moves.This was a really strong divas match and the crowd were really into it too making it even better. I loved how long the match was. The girls were given around thirteen/fourteen minuets witch is just amazing. I enjoyed this match so much despite the weak ending, that it had to be in this months top twenty.

19) Drew Galloway VS Eli Drake (TNA 19/8)
One of the first TNA matches to feature in this month's top twenty is the one on one between Drew Galloway and Eli Drake back on the nineteenth. I've actually really been enjoying the feud between these two. I never saw the heel turn from Eli Drake coming and was totally surprised, witch rarely happens when it comes to wrestling nowadays. I think it's great that TNA were able to come up with something that we all didn't see coming and was a nice little surprise. Since the moment he turnt heel I've been so into the feud and really really entertained and interest. It's a feud that has been done really well and I have been really invested in and if I'm being totally honest, there isn't really that much I'm interested in at the moment when it comes to TNA. Throughout this month this feud has delivered and this match was one of my favourites of August. I had spent all night waiting for the match and when it came around I was so excited for it. I was left disappointed what so ever. I would have loved it if the match was longer just because I could have watched these guys wrestle all night long but for the time they had they put on a great match that was very physical from the very start. There was of course a lot of chemistry between Eli and Galloway witch made the match even better and there was  a great deal of story telling as well. I felt as though they both had a great showing but Eli, despite not picking up the victory really impressed me He's definitely someone to watch out for and he had a great night this night.

18) Charlotte VS Bayley (NXT 5/8)
Up next a divas match and just like last month it feels so good to be able to have more than one or two diva matches in my top twenty of the month. Going back towards the start of the month we saw Bayley and her road to the top continue as she went one on one with former NXT Women's Champion, Charlotte.  August was  all about Bayley telling her story and reaching to the top of  her division, finally having as she puts it, her "Sami Zayn moment" and she did just that. Her one on one against Charlotte was the very start of her road to the top. The week before we actually saw Bayley request the match witch I thought was great and such an awesome addition to her story this month. It jut made so much sense. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. For the past year Charlotte has been right at the top of the NXT Divas division and so defeating her was exactly what Bayley needed on her way to proving herself. It was such a great idea and addition to the story and I loved it! It showed the passion and fight in Bayley and played a great role in the build up to her NXT Takeover match. The match it self was great. These two have so much chemistry and great history and together it put together a really strong match. You felt the passion and fire between the two women and they told a story from start to finish. The skill level was so so high and these girls put on one of my favourite diva matches of the entire month. Charlotte really pushed Bayley throughout this match and it paid off so well because Bayley showed us some seriously impress stuff in the ring. I think it's the perfect match to look and see just how far Bayley has come over the past couple of years. The crowd were deep into the match. The girls got such a strong reaction from the crowd throughout and once again proved why women's wrestling is so popular now and proved that they are the true women who stated the revolution.

17) Cesaro, Randy Orton, Dolph Ziggler, Ryback VS Kevin Owens, Sheamus, Rusev, Big Show (RAW 24/8)
Content From RAW Review- The biggest and best match of the night was up next, a huge eight man tag team match as Dolph Ziggler, Cesaro, Ryback, and Randy Orton took on the team of Big Show, Kevin Owens, Rusev, and Mr Money in the bank, Sheamus. This was a huge match and one that I was really looking forward too. We had several feuds all combined into one match witch seems to be a little theme at the moment in the WWE, but I didn't mind at all just because we had a bunch of my favourite superstars and favourite feuds all in one match. One thing that did surprise me in this match was the chemistry between all  of these superstars especially Ryback and Kevin Owens who we have never seen compete against one another before. Ryback had the performance he needed as the Intercontinental Champion and Kevin Owens along with Rusev and Sheamus brought the most amount of character to the match. I think this match made me realise that at some point we could get a pretty great feud between Ryback and Owens for the title. The foundation for that was made last night. We also saw Rusev and Owens really work well as a team. They seemed to have this great chemistry and click between them witch was great seeing. You just know these guys could have some amazing one on one and tag team matches and the more I see them work together better and the more I love it. Ziggler was the man of he's team last night. He competed the most and kept everyone rooting for him. He spent a lot of time in the corner of the heels taking a beating from every single one of them. We also saw Summer Rae and Lana brawl outside of the ring again witch of course distracted Rusev and gave my story to it. There was even more work between Sheamus and Orton and I'm not going to lie, I was pretty pissed of that they had Sheamus get pinned but it's fine, he had a good night last night and at SummerSlam so I won't moan about it too much. After the match Rusev and Owens attacked Big Show with the baby face team following in their footsteps. I kinda felt bad for The Big Show and I'm hopeing this is the start of maybe him eventually turning baby face again.

16) Ethan Carter VS Matt Hardy (TNA 5/8)
On the fifth Ethan Carter defend he's TNA Heavyweight Championship in a ladder match against Matt Hardy. I was actually really looking forward to this match. For the past six months or so Ethan Carter has been my favourite TNA Star. He has featured in my pretty much every single top fifteen superstars of the month blog post and there has always been at least one of he's matches in the top twenty matches of the month blog post too. So it's no surprise that this is next in the list this month. I did have high expectations of this match. The two stars have a great deal of chemistry and history and they always work really well together and put on a great match. This one was no different what so ever. This was such a physical match and these guys really showed what it means to literally put your body in the line. It was a match that was so easy to get into and catered to everyone's needs. Ethan Carter did really impress me. I think even now I underestimate just how much of a great wrestler he is. He seriously held he's own in this match and gave Matt a run for he's money. Talking of Matt Hardy, this match was so in he's element. Throughout he's career he has competed in some of the best ladder matches in both the WWE and TNA. This for me was another one to add to the list. As the match went on it got better and better and I grew even more interested in the match. I thought it was a great booking decision for Ethan Carter. He took a real beating in this match but held he's own and had he's best title defence match so far. The build up for the match throughout the night was good and because of that I was even more interested in it. I thought it was a perfect way to end the night and close the show. There was nod doubt that this match was going to be in this months top twenty.

15) Bayley VS Becky Lynch (NXT 12/8)
Going back to the twelfth we saw Bayley and Becky Lynch go one on one in a number contenders match with the  winner going on to face Sasha Bank at NXT Takeover Brooklyn. The month of August was all about Bayley reaching the top of the division and finally getting her moment, this match was one of the most important matches in the build up to becoming the NXT Women's champion. I don't know about you but I was seriously looking forward to this match up. I remember watching the entrances and realising just how far women's wrestling in the WWE has come over the past year or so thanks to the NXT Divas. It was the first time I realised just how excited I am for a divas match up when a couple of years ago it would have just been a bathroom break.  The NXT women really have created a revolution and changed the game. I was expecting a lot from the two girls. They have both set the bar so so high and have delivered some amazing matches in the past against various different opponents. This was the first time both the women have ever main evented NXT and it made me so proud. I always love seeing the divas main event and these girls were more than deserving. Everyone was excited for the match and the crowd were split with who they were rooting for but it meant that that they both got a strong, loud reaction from the crowd witch was great to see and hear. The match itself was great. It was very very technical style based. I was surprised with just how much of the match was dominated by Becky Lynch. They both told such a good story and kept everyone interested from the start and throughout. I felt as thought they lived up to the expectations and delivered to the standards we all had. Bayley was impressive throughout and deserved to pick p the big victory and I felt the passion in the entire match leading right up to the ending. This was hands down one of my favourite divas matches of the month.

14) Cesaro, Randy Orton, Roman Reigns, Dean Ambrose VS Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Sheamus & Kevin Owens (Smackdown 20/8)
Up next is one of the biggest matches of the month and one of the best Smackdown matches of the entire year. Going back to the last Smackdown before Summer Slam we saw a huge eight man tag team main event as Cesaro, Randy Orton, Dean Ambrose, and Roman Reigns took on the team of Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Kevin Owens, and Mr Money in the bank, Sheamus. For me this was a nice big treat. These are literally four of my favourite WWE superstars of today and of all time and so watching them all compete in one big match is a dream come true. I think it's safe to say that everyone had at least on of their favourites in this match, I just happened to have eight of mine. I of course was expecting a lot from this match. We had such a big mixture of superstars, with all different types of styles, characters, levels of experience and ability and so we were bound to have a great match I was just expecting a lot for all the obvious reasons and for the fact that this was a match jam packed with my favourite superstars. The guys didn't disappoint what so ever and I along with everyone else was left seriously entertained. The match was very fast paced and we got to see a great deal of every single WWE Superstar. I would have liked to have seen a little more of Bray Wyatt but he did play a great role in the match as did everyone else. Even though there were so many people in the match everyone seemed to have a place and a role. Both teams worked really well together, the match was exciting, fun, and we had so much story telling. It really did genuinely get me excited for Summer Slam. I loved the ending and it was the first time this year that I was really into a Smackdown match up. This one had to be in my top twenty this month.

13) Ethan Carter VS PJ Black (TNA 20/8)
Up next is the first TNA match to feature in this months top twenty and it's one that I wasn't expecting to be in my top twenty. Don't get me wrong, as soon as I knew this match was taking place I knew that we would be getting a great match between the two of them I just wasn't expecting it to be in my top twenty of the month. So, as we saw this month, Global Force Wrestling and TNA did a little crossover if that's the right word to use. I suppose the best way to put it is Global Force was using TNA to pick up more interest and gain awareness. I loved the idea and it really worked. I loved seeing the two promotions come together and as a result we had some awesome matches throughout August. One of them saw Ethan Carter defend he's TNA Championship against Global Force Wrestling star, PJ Parker, previously known as Justin Gabriel. I felt like a good story was told throughout the night to get everyone ready for the match and I really liked that. I felt as though the fact that there was a story being told throughout the night meant that I gained more interest and as the night went on I got even more excited. The match itself was great. So much better than I thought it was going to be and I could have watched them compete even longer. We really saw the two different styles come together and work well together. They complimented one another's styles and as the match went on the better it got. The ending was predicable but I really enjoyed the match. It was fun, energetic, and there was a good story.

12) Baron Corbin VS Samoa Joe (NXT Takeover Brooklyn) 
Content from NXT Takeover Review- It was around a year ago that Baron Corbin made he's official debut for NXT. I remember being the happiest person alive when I saw him have he's first match at NXT Takeover and making he's mark in the developmental territory. I had waited so long for him to make he's debut and really get started and so when he arrived around a year ago at a Takeover show you can only imagine how happy I was. For the past year we have seen him take out a dozen wrestlers in a matter of seconds but he's only been in a couple of actual storyline's. He's first proper storyline was against Bull Dempsey where he picked up every single victory in the feud. He then defeated Rhyno in that feud a couple of months back and now of course he is taking on Samoa Joe and the two went one on one last night at the biggest NXT Takeover show to date. I am of course a huge Corbin fan. I have been way before he even officially debuted and so I haven't really enjoyed seeing what we have seen of him in the past year. The fact that he is over a year in and he's still competing in squash matches and we have only had less then a handful of good matches from him does piss me off a little but I do understand why they have done that with him. He has looked dominate and dangerous it's just about time that they started giving him some real competition. The WWE did a great article on Corbin in the week witch I advise you to check out. I do think that he works better as a heel and their are more opportunities for him as a heel and I really am a fan of he's feud with Samoa Joe. I mentioned this already in my prediction post but I honestly feel as though Joe is the perfect man for Corbin to feud with at this point of he's career. He's the superstar that could really push him in the ring and give Corbin some heat from the fans. Talking of the ans giving Baron heat, I just need to quickly go on a little rant. I understand that NXT has become it's own brand and is the home of the best of the best meaning that the standard is so high but people need to remember that this is the developmental territory. This is the place to learn, grow and develop, so when people give Baron hate for he's mic/character work and he's wrestling they really do remember that he is in
the right place to learn and that is why he's in NXT. Anyway, I was of course backing Corbin last night despite being a Samoa Joe mega fan. I was really expecting quite a lot from the match just because I felt as though Corbin had a lot to prove and needed to have a great match. I'm so glad that I can sit here and say that I loved this match! It was so nervous that Corbin wouldn't be able to look good standing in the ring with Samoa Joe and I really did think he would struggle but he did all he's fans proud and had he's best match to date without a doubt. I honestly could have cried tears of joy after this match. He may not have won it (witch I didn't like but it's fine I've moved on) but he impressed me and everyone else so much. He looked dominate, and strong and genuinely dangerous. There were times were he was a little messy but I kind of over looked that. I will admit that I still think he needs to work a lot on he's charisma. It feels like he still hasn't really connected with the fans but he had a great night last night and really proved himself. I'm hopeing now we see stronger booking choices for him. Joe did great putting over Corbin and making him look as good as possible and he's victory was strong and convincing. With how the  match ended, I don't think this feud is over just yet. I would have loved to have seen Corbin attack Joe after the match but I was far too satisfied and happy that I didn't really mind.

11) Dolph Ziggler VS Rusev (Summer Slam) 
Content from Summer Slam Review- For the past couple of months now we have seen a great feud between Dolph Ziggler and Lana and Rusev and Summer Rae all based on the split of Lana and Rusev. I wasn't expecting to like this feud in the slightest. I started out absolutely hating it. I felt as though it was stupid, cliché, and I didn't like how the WWE were using Summer Rae but this storyline grew on my big time. The longer it went on and the more attention I paid to it the more interested I was in the whole thing. Honestly, this has become one of my favourite storyline of the past month or so and I never ever saw myself saying that. Lana and Summer Rae have done a great job making this a fun to watch, entertaining storyline and have worked really hard to keep everyone interested. I was expecting a lot from this match once again. These are two super talented superstars and even thought they have quite different styles you just know that because of their styles they are just going to put and epic match and I was hopeing they were going to get a great deal of time just because I know that this could easily have been a match of the year candidate if given the time. It had
a great story and build up behind it and so I was really really into this match from the get go. Before we get talking about the match can we talk about how freaking hot Lana and Summer Rae looked last night! Absolutely stunning! Now the match itself was very split from the start but after a short amount of time Rusev took full dominance of the match and took control of Ziggler using he's strength to he's advantage. The former US champion kept Ziggler locked in the bear hug for quite some time, really wearing down the fan favourite and taking the energy out of him. The continuous theme of this match was clear. Whenever Ziggler looked to be gaining some momentum and taking control, it would't take long for Rusev to stop him in he's tracks and regain control again. I loved the facial expressions from Rusev throughout this match and he's athleticism amazed me just like it always does. Rusev really did up he's game last and took it to Ziggler. Love him or hate him, you cannot deny that Rusev is one heck of an all round performer and has some serious athleticism. This was a really really fun match to watch. The entertainment just kept coming and the only thing that disappointed me was the ending. No one likes a double count out ending do they? It just felt like a really weak ending after an amazing match. The work between Lana and Summer was great too and made this match even more entertaining.

Comments

Popular Posts